“One word Sandwich!!!!”
Review of Big Sur Deli

Big Sur Deli
Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Description: This is not an official restaurant, but a delicious deli below Big Sur Lodge.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Have to say I love the Sandwiches that the deli makes, The chicken rap and the pecan pie YUMMMM!!!! Its like a mini store has most of what you need out here....

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Sandwich was great and at the normal prices for the area (Big Sur is quaint but does carry a higher price tag) We thought it was great that you can walk back behind the market/deli and eat your sandwich in peace with trees..many of the bar customers are back there enjoying the shade, as well. I'd go here again

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is the only stop you need when exploring Big Sur for the day or for a week. :) The Deli has everything - sandwiches, burritos, chicken wings, great coffee selection along with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

It is really more than just a deli - a sundry shop of Big Sur souvenirs, post cards, first aid items, suntan lotion....

We stopped in here for coffee and pastry for breakfast as well as burritos and wings to take with us on our day hike!

The staff is very friendly and their "hot foods" are made fresh, daily.

p.s. I also got a cool, Highway 1 t-shirt to go :)

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We came in to buy take out but were falling over laughing at the hilarious products stocked in the shop (Irish accent chewing gum anyone?). Someone has a great sense of humour. We also loved the food we bought - very tasty take out (samosas and Chinese chicken) which we ate on our deck at the Ventana. Delicious and good value compared to eating dinner at one of the restaurants. Closes at 9 pm in August.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife & I stopped here on our drive down the coast and were both really looking forward to it - she got a tray of spaghetti and meatballs for almost $10, and I got a coffee and a big burrito for about $15. The coffee was stone cold before I even took it to the counter, although the checkout girl did remove the cost of the coffee when I mentioned it, and it was then microwaved to make it a lovely lukewarm. We then went outside and sat down to eat, during which I found that my burrito was cold in the middle too, the point of being almost frozen, and all the cheese had been put into one small area. Lovely. Apparently the spaghetti and meatballs were good though.

Unless you have a thing for cold microwaved food, the only reason to stop here is if you really need the bathroom or to pick up some bottled drinks or some pre-packed snacks. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes on the road through Big Sur. You would be much better off stopping at one of those instead, or just going to Subway before you get to Big Sur.

Been to Big Sur Deli? Share your experiences!