There are not a lot of choices in Big Sur and we had high hopes for this one - the reviews looked good, the price was reasonable compared to the other places and it was in a good location in relationship to the places we wanted to see. However, I would NOT recommend this hotel to my friends. Here's why:
1. When we checked in to our room - the coffee pot was not clean. It had the previous person's coffee muck in it. So did that mean that the coffee mugs were not cleaned either? What about the glasses? YUK!!! What else didn't they clean???
2. They left a dead spider squished in the shower.
3. We went for a hike and came back a little after 3:30 and our room was still not clean. That means we needed a shower, but did not have clean towels to use. When we called the front desk they simply said it would be cleaned 'shortly'. No offer to bring towels or anything.
4. It was super hot when we were there, which was unusual and no fault of the hotel - however, we could not leave our doors open for air because they do not have screens on them and there were TONS of bugs. If you don't have A/C, the least you can do is have screens on your doors.
5. The staff is nice, but they do not go the extra mile to make you feel like a welcomed guest. They could use some training. Especially the two women that work at the front desk.
6. The food in the restaurant is good, but quite pricey compared to other places.
7. I shared my concerns with the front desk when we left and they said they would have a manager call me - but it's been almost a week and no call yet. I guess they don't really care.
Here's the thing -we paid $189 per night and they wanted to charge us $5 an hour for internet service. Yes, that's right $5 PER HOUR, not per day. We stayed in seven different hotels on the California coast and this is the ONLY one that charged for WIFI and it was the most expensive.
The good things:
1. They have a pool and it was a nice relief from the heat.
2. The restaurant staff is phenomenal. They should be the ones working at the front desk.
Next time we pass through that area we will definitely choose a different place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Pfeiffer State Park, Big Sur Lodge offers single, double, and family size rooms with fireplaces and kitchenettes and a myriad of wonderful outdoor activities for all travelers' needs including hiking and swimming. There is a restaurant, outdoor patio, gift store, and deli. Wedding and corporate group events/dining facilities are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Big Sur Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Big Sur Hotel Big Sur