“Great location, but it has its quirks...”
Review of Big Sur Lodge

Big Sur Lodge
San diego
“Great location, but it has its quirks...”
Reviewed 24 September 2006

Just returned from another stay here and while the location in the redwood groves is gorgeous and all the rooms have been refurbished, there were a few problems this time:

The clerk who took our phone reservation was very curt and unfriendly , the room rates have increased and they no longer offer any AAA discount, so the price of our non-fireplace room was quite a bit higher than last years' fireplace room.

Day temps in September can be quite warm and upon arrival, our room was a stiffling 90+ degrees, due to the heater's strong pilot light which is set to stay on 24/7. Flinging open windows and doors, we also found a large fan which helped, but we had to stay outside for half an hour while the room cooled off. People out on their deck next to ours were smoking, and our open room took on a lot of their smoke, which was annoying. There was also a couple of very noticeable large stains in the carpet that needed attention.

The lodge gave us written info that warned guests not to use the room heater and the fireplace at the same time, as there is danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. They said that using both could also cause the heater to completely shut off, leaving you without any heat. Our room retained the heat so much, we never needed to turn the heater on, but I don't see how that "no heater and fireplace" situation would work in the cooler months.

After dealing with the heat, we realized there was no soap nor an ice bucket in the room, so we had to drive back down to the lodge for that, then over to the ice place before we could go back to the room and unpack. With room rates over $200/night, it becomes harder to overlook these quirks.

The Lodge's resturant has a new chef who used to be the sous-chef at Deetjen's and our late-night meal there was pretty good. Our server, a very nice young man from the East coast was helpful and friendly. The ice cream station now carries several flavors of the Blue Bunny brand.

Decent, affordable lodging is limited in Big Sur, so I'll probably return to BSL, but I'll also keep my eyes open for other options.

• Stayed September 2006
9 Thank Simones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 September 2006

We stayed two nights in mid September and were disappointed in some things but pleasantly surprised with others. The bad, well, I don't know about you but I like a heater that works. Ours didn't and Big Sur in September is in the low 50's at night. The first night we couldn't get it to turn on. The second night the "repair" left the pilot light making a very loud continuous noise that kept us up so I turned it off thus leaving us again with only the fireplace for heat. I could go on but basically, this was indicative of our experience. The room was drab and basic. The nice surpise was that the restaurant was quite good although their wine list was terrible and they were out of half of the selections. Service is very nice, the pool is great but the rooms need improvement. Big Sur is a magical place but it needs a good mid priced hotel. Post Ranch and Ventana are way too expensive for most.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Travlin_Man525
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 September 2006

Big Sur Lodge is an affordable and pleasant experience. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The rooms are located away from the main lodge, in small clumps of 4-5 per building. They are away from the road, right in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and very quiet!

There is a very convenient and well stocked store in the main lodge as well as a restaurant and take out area for coffee and snacks. The store was a great asset - providing well needed poison oak cleansing wipes and snack food - but the restaurant is to be avoided. There are great dining options such as breakfast and/or dinner at Deetjen's, lunch or dinner at the Roadhouse or the same with a view at Nepenthe.

Overall, great value for dollar as the options for staying right in Big Sur are limited. We'd stay again.

• Liked — Comfortable, quiet and great location
  • Disliked — On site restaurant not good
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WhiteMountainHiker
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 August 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed my two nights' stay at the Big Sur Lodge. From the minute you drive into the beautiful state park, you know that you won't be staying at the average hotel. The idyllic setting boasts soaring redwoods, magnificent sequoia and a myriad of great hiking trails. You're also close enough to drive to Ventana or Nepenthe, or check out the superb hiking at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.

My cabin was spacious and inviting, with honeywood furniture, a firm queen bed, natural light ing from the skylight, all sorts of interesting bath toiletries, a large closet and coffeemaker with complimentary tea and coffee (which was excellent).

I saw a deer wandering the lawn the first morning I was there. The onsite grocery store is a bit pricey, but comes in handy if you need a map or forgot to pack something.

My chief complaint: there is no phone in the cabin, which means if you have a question, you must walk or drive back to the reception lobby. Not exactly convenient. My cellphone also did not get reception, so that put a further kabosh on information.

I appreciated the cute patio shaded by a redwood behind the cabin. One side faced the garbage dumpster, so I turned my chair the other direction.

A few quibbles: The cabin got rather dark at night and could have used more lamps or brighter lightbulbs for comfortable reading in bed. The bathroom is rather tiny and did not ventilate well. The maid also left the heater on after cleaning the room, so it was blazing hot when I returned.

My neighbors appeared to be deaf and screamed at each other throughout my stay, resulting in a migraine for me the last morning That certainly wasn't the lodge's fault, however, and I didn't hear a peep from the neighbors on the other side. The cost is pricey, but not out of line with the accomodations in town. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Beautiful scenery, comfortable room
  • Disliked — No phoneline to lobby
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat a big breakfast before hiking to avoid dizziness on the trail
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank LadyElaine24
new york
Reviewed 17 August 2006

We stayed at Bigu Sur Lodge the second week in July, 06. Overall, Big Sur Lodge is in a lovely location, the rooms are comfortable but can get quite warm (no air-conditioning) during the day, especially those rooms with a roof skylight, even with the Big Sur supplied fan. The restaurant is excellent and the local scenery very beautiful, with wonderful vistas all around and nearby.

I would recommend room 51 which we stayed in and which has a nice size queen bed and a REAR FACING porch. Porches in many of the other room face frontwards, offering no privacy and a view of parked cars rather than nature.

There is no need for a room with a fireplace and the accomodations with "kitchens" really are very cramped; if you can, stay in a non-fire place room with a rear facing porch.

Temperatures at night are very comfortable, and the room heater is very efficient. The staff is helpful and near the main office is a "store" where you can buy milk, juice, etc.

Fill up your car before you get to BIg Sur as local gas was $4.60 per gallon as compared to about $3.30 per gallon in Carmel.

E & M

• Liked — The locale
  • Disliked — Rooms get too warm
  • Tips/Secrets — room 51 has a wonderful rear-facing porch.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ericjf2
Denver, Co.
Reviewed 18 July 2006

Okay, it was early May so we had the place to ourselves. We didn't care about the rude front desk clerk. Our cabin was darling. The pool was closed for rennovation (too cold anyway) and the restaurant was shut down. Still, the young kitchen staff graciously accomodated us on the deck -- even bringing out a gas heater -- so we could enjoy bottles of fine local wine and a few appetizers that were being offered. They didn't rush us and were very apologetic when they couldn't figure out how to make the credit card machine work. lol.

We really enjoyed the hikes -- especially the falls. We sat on our little deck at night and looked at the stars and enjoyed the silence. I'm sure it isn't this quiet in the summer, but it was very nice when we were there.

If you need an upscale place, this isn't it. But we enjoyed it. Next time we might try somewhere else in Big Sur, but my husband and I both agree that we would stay there again, especially if it was off season.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank MrsPacker
Orcutt, California
Reviewed 12 July 2006

My family and I stay at the Big Sur Lodge every year. We missed last year. We love the accommodations, the hiking trails and the overall beauty of this breathtaking place.
No tv - no phone - no problem! We've never been treated badly and have always rec'd wonderful service no matter what we do.. restaurant, store, etc. I look forward to our journey in the fall.

• Stayed October 2004
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur Lodge? Share your experiences!