“Such a Joy to Stay Here.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
South Burlington, Vermont
“Such a Joy to Stay Here.”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was my 3rd stay at Deetjen's. Nothing has changed over the years, and I pray it never does. We were so fortunate to have perfect weather. Morning walks on the beaches were breath-taking, and the ocean waters off the Julia Pfeiffer Burns trail were deep turquoise. Our room was rustic and cozy. And you must love rustic to fully appreciate Deetjen's. It's the epitome of coastal California bohemia, circa 1960, with lots of candlelight, dark wood interiors, elegant objets d'art, paintings, pots of dried flowers, and exotic china on display. The bed was comfortable, and the cool night air made for great sleeping. We woke in the morning and found a table next to the wood fire in Deetjen's dining room. Got ourselves some hot coffee as classical music played. Breakfast was delicious and very reasonably priced. Our dinner the night before of roasted duck and crispy zucchini fritters was excellent. The staff was warm, friendly, and completely informal. I've traveled extensively in Europe and the USA, but there's nowhere like this place.
It's transporting. It's just awesome.

Room Tip: Can't beat the deal on the Van Gogh room. It's small, but it's a charmer. For a splurg...
3 Thank VTRoadtripper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Verneuil-en-Bourbonnais, France
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is absolutely unique in tasteful charm and character. If one could only visit Big Sur and spend one night there, this Inn would be first and foremost my only choice. The beautiful rooms are all varied and should be seen, if possible, in order to enjoy what this landmark has to offer to its guests. But let us not stop here, it has one of the best restaurants in Big Sur. Inside there is a cozy fireplace (my choice for seating) and an excellent selection of cuisines and wines to choose from. If this was not enough, there is breakfast either indoors or outdoors that cannot be improved upon for beginning a wonderful day ahead. Yes, yes, yes, Deetjen's is a required stopover in Big Sur!

Room Tip: Every room is a unique experience which can only be determined by the taste of each and every travel...
1 Thank John Wm S
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We get it and we love it. Consider Deetjens “glamping” in the redwoods. Comfortable bed and fluffy towels. Sleeping with the windows open listening to the sound of the stream in the canyon below. Ahhhh. Good food for both dinner and breakfast. The grounds are full of flowers and the setting in the woods is beautiful. We would have loved to stay longer than one night. The journals in each room are priceless. “Grandpa Deetjens” created a treasure. Spoke to two women on two different days to make the reservation. Both gave me different information and both seemed rushed and pre-occupied. Happily the staff was much more present and pleasant in person.

3 Thank a_couple_from
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Your Inn located in a stand of California coastal redwoods, right next to the ocean, with cabins made in the 30's and 40's from redwood. You know it's special when you walk in your room and see the wood burning fireplaces and all of the wood and fire starter materials. Your room has everything you need, but it is definitely "low key". This is California history to live. You will pay some for the Big Sur Inn, but all of the coastal inns are pricey, but this is a truly different and enjoyable experience. Make reservations. All the rooms are different but special in their own way, and plan to go to bed with some wood on the fire and have a special night.

Make reservations at their restaurant when you reserve your room. Your dinner will be excellent, a bit pricey, but worth it. Your stay at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn will definitely be a memorable experience.
Enjoy.

Room Tip: Make a reservation in advance, and each of the rooms are very unique. You need to talk to the person...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank George M
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you 'get' what Deetjens is, then you will like it a lot, though I suspect many people would not want to pay quite a lot for a night in a wooden cabin. (Though all accommodation on Big Sur is on a scale from pricey to bonkers.)
The cabin had most mod cons, except for TV and internet. The restaurant was very good, dinner and breakfast both excellent. And it's in such a beautiful location.

2 Thank Lesley W
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The food was top of the line. Ambiance was immaculate. The server, however, did not seem interested in helping us at all. She rushed to take care of us (and it wasn't overly crowded) and wasn't overly friendly. Other than that, the restaurant was amazing and we would definitely go back! This also seems like a really nice Inn to stay at!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was travelling down the coast on a solo photography/backpacking trip and had booked one night in the Petite Cuisine room at Deetjen's. I have to say after reading all the reviews I didn't know what to expect. I had been to the Big Sur 20 years ago, but stayed in Carmel that time with my wife. This place totally exceeded my expectations. It was really one of the coolest places I have ever stayed at and had so much more character than a usual hotel room. It was a long flight from Boston and a long drive from SFO. When I got to the Big Sur it was just about sunset. With only so many sunsets available, I decided to do some photography before checking in. I checked in at 7:30pm as it was getting dark. The woman at the desk, Lydia I think, was very nice. I didn't eat in the restaurant since I had already grabbed a bite to eat on the road and went right to my room, so I can't rate that. This bed was awesome, so comfortable. The linens were of high quality too. The room was just the right size and so cozy. I had a few outlets to re-charge my camera and phone batteries, a bunch of journals to read to keep me busy. The bathroom and shower is down the hall. There were several other rooms on my floor, but I never saw another guest. There is also a bathroom downstairs, so I imagine if the upstairs bathroom was ever full, you could always go downstairs. The room was very clean and extremely comfortable. The shower and towels were great, but I hope I didn't wake anyone up at 5:30 am showering. I stashed some cash somewhere in this room so the next traveler can buy themselves a couple of drinks, but of course they'll have to find it first. Oh yeah, I don't know what the smell is out on the grounds, but it is awesome. I wish I could bottle it and take it home...is is redwood? cypress? I don't know, but it smells awesome! I hope to come back here soon with my wife and teenage sons. The cat was a nice touch as well. I have four at home and missed them, it was great to have one to hang out with for awhile. I felt bad that I left in the morning while it was still dark and didn't even check out, but I had a sunrise to catch further South. Can't wait until next time. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#3 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!