“Classic, Romantic & Zen”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I banged my head on the low beams of the Top Antique room more times than I could count (probably due to concussion) and the bed & shower combined to stretch my surgically-repaired spine to its limits, but if I ever make it back to Big Sur again you will find me at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn. This place is a Big Sur Classic - cute, romantic, relaxing, quaint. It's truly a place to disconnect, unwind and find yourself able to think...really think. Each room has its own uniqueness, the staff are friendly and knowledgable and the food is excellent. If you stay here, make sure to spend lots of quality time reading through the numerous journals of past guests and don't forget to say hi to Fabio the cat!...he's the one that really runs the show at this hotel.

Room Tip: Be forewarned!!! - there are NO tv's or phones in any of the rooms and there is NO cell phone or...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eric S
There are newer reviews for Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

Reviewed 10 June 2014

As the other reviewers stated...there are quirky things about this inn...paper thin walls, un-attached bathrooms, the smell of fireplace smoke (which I never tire of actually). But WHO CARES when the place is in the most beautiful setting in one of the most beautiful places in the US??? It was oozing with charm and beauty. We stayed in the lower creek cabin, and had a couple staying above us. Yes, you could here them walking around, but for some reason it sort of added to the character of the place. We loved, and used, the fireplace....and the kids thought it was great to snuggle up on the trundle bed in front of it to read. We hiked up to the the two different look outs which were stunning and a very easy 5-10 minute walk. There was a little kitchen with a sink in our cabin, but no fridge. There was a table though where you could eat or play cards etc...which was nice to have. We had dinner and breakfast at the Inn. The dining room alone is worth the trip...how cozy and cute can you get? The food was so-so...not bad at all, just nothing to write home about. Breakfast was great. The staff was also polite and helpful. Great location for doing day trips around Big Sur. Two nights would be sufficient here...though I could spend a whole summer escaping reality there!

Room Tip: We were a family of four and stayed in the Lower Creek Room. It did have a room upstairs (we were d...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mamasitaMinnesota
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed in the Lower Creek House for two nights. It was very clean, and had a queen bed & two twin beds. The private bath was outside of the room, just a few steps across the hallway. It was nice that it wasn't part of the room. When we arrived, the room smelled of smoke from the fireplace, and when we left, all of my clothes smelled like a campfire. We did not attempt to make a fire while there.
I knew from the website and from the hotel staff that the walls are quite thin, and they're right! We were prepared with earplugs, but didn't need them. My cousin and his family were above us in the Upper Creek House room, and were very considerate of us & the noise. We did hear each time they walked on the floor, used the bathroom, etc., but it wasn't terrible.
The odd thing about these structures is that there's no way to lock the rooms from the outside, and there's a tiny little latch to lock them from the inside. It would be nice to have a real lock on the door that works from both outside and inside.
That said, it is a wonderful place in a beautiful setting. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Deetjen's.

Room Tip: The Creek House is away from the road and not attached to other rooms, which was nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CAFamily
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stopped at Deetjen's on a whim not having a reservation. The only room available was Fireplace which has a shared bath with another unit. I was reluctant to stay but my husband insisted. I'm so glad he did! By the end of our stay I was absolutely in love with the place. Despite not having its own bath, our room was large, with a working fireplace, a private deck and large windows that looked out into the trees. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in with a down pillowtop and lots of super comfy down pillows. The bathroom was across the hall. We never saw the other couple sharing it with us. The restaurant was warm and cozy with incredible food. If you are someone who likes modern and fancy, this is not the place for you. If you are someone who appreciates character and charm this hotel is a winner.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a rustic place like a step back in time. There are some nice large rooms but no frills. No air conditioning but remember the climate is very mild in Big Sur so this is not a real issue. The shower head in the tub was really low and I had to get on my knees to rinse off. In spite of these potential negatives, we still loved the place and want to go back. All of the workers were dedicated to helping everyone enjoy themselves. The restaurant was great too. It would have been nice to get coffee a little earlier than 7:15 but Big Sur gets a slow start to the day. Again no problem.

Room Tip: Road noise could be a problem if your room is close to the road and your windows are open.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raven27
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was my 5th visit to Deejen's over a 30 year span. Some things were as nice as ever_ the location, the quaint rooms, the gardens. Since we were there during a holiday weekend (Memorial Day) and the Inn was busy it didn't have a quiet "feel" about it. You must be prepared because the walls are paper thin. We endured a very noisy sex scene next door (which sounded like it was in our room). Then at 3AM we all were awakened by our "neighbors" snoring that was so loud we couldn't possibly ignore it.
We were very disappointed by the management's overt annoyance, bordering on outright hostility, by our complaint of sewer gas smell. The management was angry that we didn't move to another location which was offered to us in a casual "go check it out" by a sweet wait staff person. We chose not to move because of the inconvenience of moving all of our unpacked belongings. Of course no one volunteered to help us move to the smaller accommodation which was down the road a bit. We were all surprised at the manager and assistant manager's attitude which was to blame us for not moving. They did eventually agree to compensate us for one night's stay. But the unpleasant interactions with both persons in management certainly spoiled out stay. It was a sad ending to what could have been handled so differently. So, do we recommend this place? I guess_ if you go knowing the pitfalls and you accept the possible problems. Oh, make sure if you stay in the lower Antique room that there is no sewer gas smell. It can be very noxious.

Room Tip: Don't go during a busy time to avoid possible noisy neighbors. Walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RGWboston
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place was recommended to me and I decided to stay for 1 night, which I wish had been longer... I stayed in Petite Cuisine which as a solo traveller was perfect. It is a natural historic site and is comfortable with fresh linen, and furnished with antiques and the journals of former guests for your perusal. It is a little retreat from the hubbub of everyday life and a welcome opportunity to switch off with no internet, tv or phone. Switch off, relax, unwind & enjoy. Make time to eat in their award winning yummy restaurant while you are there too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!