“Adorable and Great Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Woodside, Ca
“Adorable and Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I read many reviews before booking. I was aware of no keys/unlocked doors, rustic charm, thin walls, no insulation, location on hwy 1 and highway noise. . I chose this property bc it had a queen bed for myself and a separate twin for my 13 yr old daughter and was on my route heading south. We loved the grounds and beautifully maintained gardens. The room was very charming and the reception was lovely and warm. We were asked very politely to keep voices and all noise to a very low minimum after 10pm. We had zero problems with any noise. I barely heard anyone and the Inn was full. Dinner was spectacular and the service was amazing. The Breakfast was just as delicious. Loved the quick walk up the hill to great vistas. I was able to make a fire in the room quickly and easily both night and morning. Why 4 stars. The sink was leaking and this is a serious drought. There is a distinct sewer toilet smell. We didnt realize till quite late after dinner so we werent able to tell anyone till the morning. You can actually see through the wall boards in some places, especially the doors. The food prices were really expensive ($210 for dinner for me and my daughter- breakfast was $50 and we didnt go hog wild (food was great though!) And for price of one night, $240 not including tax its a bit overpriced. But is Big Sur after all and well... its a long drive to get food/supplies/etc in to the area. I would return.. its a great experience. However be aware that its not for all. Also its so dark in the rooms even in the day due to the rustic nature and no overhead lights. Its almost impossible to put on your makeup inside the rooms!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Veda P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Lynchburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

There are no keys for the rooms here! In parts of the Inn, you must share a bathroom with other guests. The dining facility is nice. For a great view, take a walk up the dirt road adjacent to the property. There is a bench with a magnificent view of the Pacific.

No air conditioning in my room. This is a pretty rustic place, but it's nice.

Room Tip: I'd try to get a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My friends and I are so glad that we stayed at Deetjen's. Since I knew there were thin walls between some rooms, I chose Grandpa's Room (only occasional noise when the people next door checked in at night) and Top Antique right above Grandpa's (no noise from other rooms at all, but both rooms hear muffled highway noise until about 10 at night since they're not far from the Big Sur Highway). The shower in Granpa's is very small, and the bathtub/shower combination in Top Antique is just funny. It's an incredibly small bathtub with a showerhead that is about chest high, so I had to get on my knees and lean backwards to wash my hair. I thought it was funny, but people who can't do that may not find it funny. Both rooms were very pretty and comfortable. You can even play classic albums from the 1970's in Grandpa's on their record player. The property leads away from the highway and is very wooded. There are nice trails to walk and a very pretty place (with a few buddhas discretely scattered about) to just sit and enjoy the scenery and small waterfall. The restaurant was good, with very good blueberry pancakes, a good dinner, and a very friendly staff. There are very fun photos to see in one room of the restaurant. It was a short drive to see the condors right on the highway, the very pretty waterfall that empties right onto the beach at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, and a good lunch at Café Kevah and its very pretty attached gift shop. This is a fun, truly unique place to stay, and we're so glad we stayed here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CaliforniaElizabeth
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at Deetjens this past weekend as part of a destination wedding. The wedding guests were spread all over Big Sur in different hotels.
I choose Deetjens because it seemed like a charming old world rustic retreat in a natural serene environment. It was all of that. The rooms were old (cozy) and cabin like (just as it may have been in the 1930's) the bed and linens were of high quality and extremely comfortable!! The towels soft and luxurious this gave the hotel an upscale feel! Although the bathrooms could have used better lighting and the plumbing is old. If I wasn't getting ready (makeup and hair) for a wedding that really wouldn't have bothered me.
The restaurant was lovely, warm and inviting with good fare. The restaurant staff and people at the front desk very sweet an friendly.
But what shocked me was.... why I received a loud knock at my door at 7:30 in the morning from a strange woman from the staff (possibly manager) yelling at me and asking me why another guest who arrived for the wedding (who came in late or should I say very early in the morning) didn't have a room.... is beyond me!!! She was rude and said some inappropriate things which were unacceptable to any guest! A better approach would have been a tap on the door at a later more respectable hour with a soft non confrontational voice, as this woman didn't no my place in the wedding planning from a whole in the wall. Her blaming me for this guest not having a room was very unfair. I had nothing to do with it, this was completely unacceptable and put a very bad taste in my mouth and kind of ruined all the good the hotel had to offer!
I was shocked that this happened in such a serene quiet place. Lesson to be learned.... Do not wake up your guests to yell at them for anything especially when you don't even know whats going on!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank FMLOT
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This Inn was like no other we have stayed in before, so pleased we managed to get a reservation.
The rooms/ cabins were filled with rustic furniture like my grandma had . The wood burner made it all cosy. it felt like you were in the Alps somewhere where Heidi lived. We loved this place and would have loved to stay longer. The staff were really friendly and despite the rooms having no locks we felt very safe. I left my Nikon camera on the bed when we went for our evening meal and it was still there when we returned. The food in the restaurant was excellent both for evening meal and breakfast. Before we left we went for a walk through the woods and had a great view of the sea. It was all really relaxing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would love to return someday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mantoloking
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just left this Big Sur Inn after spending three nights while attending a destination wedding.. The charming , low tech rooms were terrifc.. The food in their restaurant was tasty and presented well... well above average. The DIFFICULT factor here was the overall unfriendly dealings with management staff... Hard to understand when there you are in a would-be laid back , healing centered locale in beautiful/magnificent California coastal territory... Hard to whole heartily recommend.... Maybe the resident staff was off on vacation!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the busy highway... There are a few.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Joan M
Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed one night due to my early arrival for a reservation at the Post Ranch. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very old, can be drafty, very small, but homey and funky in a good way. No TV, but books and notes to read from previous visitors referencing how Deetjen's affected their stay and lives (even some Jack Karouac entiresl). Each room actually has it's own name and personality. No other amenities, rather spartan, but interesting, small money as is appropriate for the space. The breakfast and dinner restaurant is also unique and offering tasty meals. Highly recommended for a short and an interesting rest along with some local charm and history.

Room Tip: View the rooms before you accept. They are all different with a variety of features. Don't let...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,165 reviews
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!