All reviewsfranklin roomnon profitthin wallseggs benedictwood stovestayed two nightsdeetjensfiascoredwoodscabinlatchhighwaynorwegiangrandmacelllibrarynature
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We had two great nights at this incredible place and really enjoyed the peace and beauty. I would recommend it with this reservation - the accommodation will not be everyone's idea of heaven and it is a bit on the pricey side - so read the reviews carefully before deciding if it's for you. We had an idea of what to expect and it did not disappoint. The Champagne room was comfortable with a tiny WC / shower room and a wonderful wood burning stove (a necessity in May!). The restaurant was incredibly good with locally sourced food and great local wines. Best of all though was the feeling of tranquility, and of being part of a very special and magical place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David56W
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Positive:
Rooms:lovely old room full of character and antiques. We stayed in Grandpa's room. It is really big, has a fire place and an old record player. It looks very cosy and romantic

Restaurant: Nice cosy restaurant with good food.

Not so good:
Staff: they think they are too cool for school. They do their job while on another cloud. They all look and act spaced out. Dont ask them for too much, I asked for an iron and it was like I had asked for a free nights stay

Rooms: OK you hear every single sound your neighbour makes and I mean EVERY single sound. There is NO privacy and I would NOT recommend this place for a romantic getaway with a lover if you know what I mean.

Price: Overall food and rooms are pricey

All in all it is OK but not too excited about Deetjens

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Went on a 24 night honey moon trip across the USA and we stayed 1 night in this hotel. It was recommended by my brother and I stayed in a cabin with a bathroom but no fireplace. It took a while to reserve as you cannot do it online, you have to call. My experience was that I had to call about 6 or 7 times in a row before I got through.

Overall the place is great, I have never stayed in a wooden cabin before so it was a great experience. We were so taken by the place when we arrived that I asked the girl at “reception” whether we could stay another night. I think the girl is called Hannah, she noted down our interest and said we would be told the next day whether we could stay an extra night.

The cabin we stayed in was an isolated little cabin right at the end of the property, it was very small with tiny bathroom and tiny double bed –this made it all the more cosy and enjoyable. In spite of this I have to confess that it was one of the worst nights that I have had. This is not the fault of the owners or the hotel, but due to constant rain smacking on the low roof and glass window in the ceiling which meant that I was continually woken up all through the night.

We had dinner in the restaurant, I had crab cakes and sea bass and my wife soup and pasta, I have to say that the pasta that my wife had was possibly one of the best pastas I have ever tried (and I’ve frequently been to Italy: Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples with my Michellin guide). The Restaurant in this place is great with an exceptionally romantic ambiance, and the lady that served us recommended a good and well priced red.

Alas, the next day we were told that we could not stay another night. The way we were told this was a bit strange as the man at “reception” could not find any notes that we had requested another night and had to slip away up some stairs to consult with someone and returned to say that we could not stay –it was a bit strange and added to my feeling that the place is a bit cultish or clique. Breakfast, by the way, was excellent, one of the best breakfasts I had in the US.

If you stay in Big Sur in another hotel I highly recommend the restaurant at Deetjen’s, I noticed lots of people who were having dinner where staying at other hotels.

Overall I would definitely recommend this place and would love to go back. If you can ignore the dottiness of the staff and take their absent mindedness as part of the experience (which I had no problem in doing) I am sure you will enjoy this place.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skinnydipping
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at Deetjen's after it was recommended by several friends. We loved it. Set back in the redwoods, its location is stunning. We stayed in the Chalet room. It was cozy, warm (important since it poured both days we were there) and overlooked the creek running through the property. We watched bluejays hopping all around our window on both mornings. The grounds are beautiful.

Deetjen's is rustic--it's part of their overall philosophy. Come, sit, relax and ponder. Our room was very comfortable and clean but basic. Don't expect a multitude of amenities. The bathrooms are small and the walls thin. Some people have mentioned that Deetjen's expensive considering its overall rustic nature. That's very true--it is expensive. However, every inn in Big Sur is pricey. Deetjen's is unique and well worth the visit. Also, it is run as a non-profit and registered on the National Historic Landmark list.

The inn's restaurant is amazing but again expensive. They will cater to vegetarians and vegans. All the meals we had there were delicious. My only suggestion for Deetjen's is this: considering the price of accommodations, a complimentary continental breakfast in addition to the free tea and coffee currently offered, would be nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Josietravels
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We stayed in Deetjens on the 3rd March 2010. It is like escaping to another world. Away from cell phones, WiFi, flat screen TVs etc, you step back in time to wood burning stoves, time and space to read, have conversation or just have down time. We stayed in the 'New Room', it was wonderful. We appreciated the wood burning stove as the night was chilly, and we sat in our rocking chairs peacefully reading. We enjoyed an excellent dinner and recommend the steak and rack of lamb. Breakfast was really good with wonderful service. The location in a redwood glade is amazing. All in all it was a real treat.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple