“no place anything like it”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed 20 January 2011

The joy of traveling is in large part having brand new experiences. Staying in familiar rooms more or less like other rooms in other places is not nearly as fun as taking the chance to stay somewhere amazing. Deetjen's is amazing. Yes, the rooms are not necessarily as spiff as they could be. But the romance in the walls cannot be duplicated anywhere. When you stay in one of these hand built somewhat arcane rooms, you can feel the aura of the guests who have come before you. They have been poets, gypsies, wanderers, troubadours. Their music echoes and their shadows dance. When I saw some other place in Big Sur listed on this website as among the most romantic places to stay in the west, I did wonder if the reviewer had ever gotten a chance to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tikiznbamboo

Reviewed 24 December 2010

Crazy place. We stayed in grandfathers room with fireplace. There is a room on top, so it might be noisy, because you listen everything, even your neighbour beside. It is old fashioned, a lot of wood - we loved this place. You can´t close the door - so you have to deposit all your belongings in the car. There is no beach beside in walking distance. For one night it is a crazy spot - we loved it - but we wouldnt stay there for a longer while. It is to uncomfortable in many points. The price comes without breakfast.

The most teribble thing - is to get in contact with the hotel. No mail, no online booking. We called them many many times from Germany, it was impossible. When I asked them whats the reason for, the lady at the reception said - "You don´t must stay with us - go to an other place" - THATS SERVICE!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sabine555
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We love this place. We have been a number of times and have dined here many more times when staying nearby at Post Ranch. We always stay either at PRI or here. They are very different experiences, but each has its merits. Deetjen's is wonderfully cozy, quirky, and unique. The beds are super comfortable and the smell of the wood fires mixed with the coastal foliage brings my blood pressure down in an instant. It is also worth trying as a notable part of Big Sur history. However, I also understand the single wall construction leading to lots of sound transmission and no insulation might turn off some people. I've always felt it was best for a two, maybe three night stay at most. When we want to stay longer we go to Post Ranch. The restaurant is great and wherever we stay we plan at least one meal there.

Finally, I feel I have to comment on the reviews that have noted bad service. In my many years of dealing with the staff at Deetjen's I have never had anything but warm, welcoming and helpful service. I can only think that some people present with an attitude not in keeping with the place and with expectation that are out of whack. I always feel like I am part of the family and taken care of... especially when Fabio the cat pays a visit to our cottage to welcome us.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jm514
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We stayed in the Chateau Fiasco room which was absolutely lovely and *very* romantic!! Perfect for couples. We had to duck under a tree branch just to walk up the steps which I thought was pretty cool. The room was very cosy and had a rustic, charming feel, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our room had a little balcony surrounded by pretty flowers which I loved. They also make their own soap for their bathrooms which were really nice, I took them with us when we left! They also have a guestbook in the room that you can write in, containing reaaally old entries from previous visitors from years ago which are kinda fun to read. Oh and check out their restaurant too, it's very cute and has delicious food! I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Feriluce
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I miss you, Deetjen's. I miss the peaceful grounds. I miss the Stokes room with the ridiculously comfortable bed, the wood burning fireplace, the private porch overlooking the waterfall and the tall trees...

Deetjen's was far more amazing than I expected. Bigger too. Stokes has a bedroom area with a large dresser and a small table and chairs; a living room area with a desk, two rocking chairs with blankets and the fireplace; and a bathroom with a separate toilet area. I suppose it isn't really "big" but I expected it to feel like a closet and it didn't. It was so cozy and so, so romantic.

We didn't have any contact with the staff, other than signing in upon initial arrival, and that was just fine with us. And no TV, no phone, no wifi was all fine too. I think we both worried for a minute about being unplugged for two days - we're both a bit hooked on our gadgets - but it was so much fun playing games and sitting by the fire and staying in bed talking to each other, we needn't have worried.

I want to be back there right now!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alosha7777
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I was seeking to revisit my past travels in the Big Sur. The Inn made me feel that I had never left. My husband immediately hated the Inn and then fell in love with it.

I prefer to stay in places of interest and this did not disappoint. The rooms are rustic and therein lies the charm. There are no locks on the doors. Our neighbors were friendly, quiet and helpful with suggestions of things to do.

Journals are amazing and very addictive. I would like to see some of them published.

I bought the Inn's book and it is a beautiful inspiration.

Don't miss the Esalen baths and Nepenthes.

I have the postcard of BEBE on my desk and often think of coming back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelerseattle
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I'm an East Coast woman and had been traveling and attending group functions for several days. When I hit my comforty bed (Franklin Room) and wood burning stove, I slept 14 hours the first night. I didn't know how tired I was. I found the on-site staff very accommodating and courteous. I loved the place and would have stayed longer (a Monday night) but they didn't have any available rooms. Big Sur Inn lived up to its publicity and it was even better than I could have imagined. The room nor the food can be described as inexpensive, but it's a one of a kind place. I know I ate pizza one night at a place up the road and it was just as expensive as eating a dinner in Big Sur Inn's dining room - sure hate I opted for pizza! I really have a hard time understanding the pricing of wine in Big Sur country (all of Big Sur not just this inn) as they are sitting in the middle of wine country but their wines are all very expensive. I found it less expensive to order a cocktail. Big Sur Inn dress code is jeans and hiking clothing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!