“Paradise found”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lancaster
“Paradise found”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This place was on my bucket list and I was worried that it would not live up to expectations. I was not disappointed and my partner and I spent 3 wonderfully relaxing days at the inn during November. We stayed in Torre which was a lower coast room. We had a fabulous room, the largest bath I have seen in my life, and a great view from the terrace.
Yes it is expensive, but for us it was probably a once in a lifetime experience. Whilst the dining is an experience in itself, my personal preference would have liked to see more alternative options. One night we lit the fire and ordered in room service. This is no average take away service. It was brought to our room, the table set up, wine poured, our own in room dining experience.
In the spa we had the post ranch massage which was very enjoyable, and followed it up with further relaxation in one of the two infinity pools ( which were lovely and warm).
From the moment you get your welcome drink, to leaving you are treated to a luxurious experience. Complementary wi if, soft beverages and snacks were also enjoyed. Watching the humming birds and looking out to sea in our own little piece of paradise.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sm0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I've had a quick scan of other reviews of the Post Ranch Inn and I can see that it isn't just us that appreciated this amazing property.

Post Ranch Inn is in an amazing location, right on the coast, vulnerable to wonderful sweeping, thick fogs that descend in seconds, changing the landscape right in front of your eyes. We had the room the second furthest away from the restaurant and it was beautifully secluded - you forget you are even amongst other people.

The rooms are beautifully and stylishly appointed - a really distinct dark wood and concrete that feels both opulent and rustic at the same time. We had a 270 degree view of the ocean, from our two balconies with hot tub you could not see another soul. You will sleep incredibly soundly in the dead of this wonderfully remote location.

Our room had a fireplace, which we needed - you can't guarantee the Californian weather here and this made for a lovely setting. Food in the restaurant was excellent, some of the best I've ever had.

There are few hotels in the world I would go back to in an instant, but this is one of them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Glenn-LondonW2
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

You know, you hear about hotels that are this expensive and you think to yourself, "there's no way that can be worth it". Post Ranch Inn is totally worth it. With only 39 rooms on the property, there's a lot of attention to detail and personal service.

We've stayed in the tree houses both times we've been there. We love going to sleep watching the stars move accross the sky through the skylight and waking up with the sun peaking over the mountains and through the redwoods outside our windows. A midnight soak in the infinity pools are a must. The in room massages are divine and the food and the views at Sierra Mar are to die for.

The only slight ding I would give this property is the breakfast - for the price you're paing, more hot breakfast options or table service would be nice. The rest of the meals that we've had on site have been fantastic though. The dinners we've had as the sun slowly sinks into the ocean were truly memorable experiences.

We did a vow renewal at PRI last year for our 10th anniversary (Soaring, the onsite coordinater/officiant, really is fantastic), and a new tradition was born. We'll be spending a weekend in Big Sur every October for as long as we can. I just wish we could afford more than one weekend a year.

4 Thank Phoebe346C
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We'll we have stayed in some special places and people like different things but this was right up our street. Private very personal, magical. Views the best we have seen, lunch in the restaurant amazing with the sun shining. All staff and attention to detail 2nd to none. We are trying to build in another break here so we can come back.

Green Features: Excellent and the solar project very sensible along with the many other things they do
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ann-Marie A
Cypress, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stumbled across this magical paradise on an elopement website. Im so glad I saw it. I had just become engaged and my fiance and I knew we wanted to have a private ceremony. We just needed to find the perfect place. The Post Ranch Inn was the place!!
I will say, without a doubt, that this is my new favorite place! I will go to any lengths to get to this place again! It was THAT amazing!! We stayed 4 nights. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The staff is great. I can't say enough good things about how wonderful they were to us.
The moment we arrived, we were escorted to "check-in", where they offered us a beverage (water, champagne, coffee), while they checked us in. We were getting married the next day, so everyone congratulated us. (They offer a BEAUTIFUL Elopement Package!) Then they transferred our luggage to one of their on-site Lexus to take us to our room. On the way, we got a tour of the property. I want to mention that this place has something really special about it. The second you are on the property, you just feel all your troubles slip away. You feel peaceful and very, very relaxed. Anyone who has been there, knows what I'm talking about!!)
The room we stayed in was called Fredericks!! It is one of the less expensive rooms (they are all expensive), but still a slice of heaven. Very private. Very romantic. Beautiful views of the forest and mountains. Fireplace. Beautiful bathroom. Beatiful decor. The fridge in the room is full and its gratis. Cheese, crackers, chips, nuts and all different beverages. They refill your fridge everyday. This place can be at full capacity (there are 39 guestrooms), and you still feel like nobody is around. Very quiet, very private. Adults only at Post Ranch Inn. We got to our room and there was sparkling cider on ice (we dont drink) and beautiful centerpiece of flowers with a card from the hotel congratulating us on our upcoming nuptials (the next day). Such a nice touch.
We got married on Halloween, by the resorts resident interfaith wedding coordinator. She is a whole different review. I could go on and on about her. Her name is Soaring Starkey and we had the privilege of getting to know her for the past year while she put together the most beautiful ceremony for us. She also took care of details; flowers, photographer. She handled everything for us. In short, our wedding day was PERFECT. The best day of our lives!!!
The restaurant on the property is fabulous. After we were married, we had dinner at the Sierra Mar (also a whole different review), at sunset and the food and service were amazing...and thats an understatement. Its expensive, but it was worth it. We only ate there one night because we wanted to explore other restaurants in the Big Sur area during our honeymoon. The continental breakfast at Sierra Mar for hotel guests each morning is extraordinary!!!
The hotel has Lexus cars available for guests to use if they would like to explore off the property. All we had to do is to call concierge and they would have a car waiting for us!!
The views are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. They have a Spa on site, and an infinity pool and infinity soaking tub overlooking the ocean.
There are deer and wild turkey just roaming the property. We were lucky enough to be able to see these animals a few times. Fabulous hiking trails. Wonderful garden (where they grow food that they use at Sierra Mar). Everytime a staff member saw us, they stopped to ask how we were doing. They would ask if there was anything they could get us. It was just amazing. Really great service!
The morning we were leaving, I really wanted to cry. I did NOT want to leave. We loved it so much, that when we checked-out, we made a reservation for our anniversary next year!!
I researched this place for months. I read ALL the reviews on tripadvisor (and many other sites) about Post Ranch Inn. I can't figure out how anybody could give this place anything less than 5 stars. I dont understand that!! I would recommend this little slice of heaven to anybody. For a wedding, anniversary, romantic getaway or just because you want to get away from reality and relax. I did the research, I stayed there for 4 days and it was the best time of our lives!!
Now,,,,the cost. It IS expensive. Unless you are wealthy or a celebrity, this is not cheap.Your bank account WILL feel it when you check-out. But Im saying, without any kind of exaggeration, that it is worth every single penny!!! Go check it out. You wont be sorry!!!!!

Room Tip: We chose our room because we wanted our view to be of the forest. If you are wanting an ocean view...
Green Features: The hotel is environmentally-friendly. The water bottles used in the rooms are recycled. I know they use organic food from the area in the restaurant and rooms. They also use non-toxic pest control. I believe there is other things they do as well to help the environment and I think its wonderful!!
10 Thank AprilmlcPeck
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Pros:
Stayed in one of the ocean houses- with a phenomenal view. Great amenities, lovely setting in the redwoods, great staff, very very quiet and private, with extraordinary in-room drinks and food. The room service was delicious and graciously delivered. A perfect massage, from Carri Wooten in the spa, topped it all off. There was even a little cast iron tea pot of cream in the fridge for our coffee.
Cons:
Room smelled so strongly of woodsmoke that it burned our eyes and noses. We had to keep the doors and windows open all the time. When our next door neighbors lit their fireplace, we had to close the doors because smoke came right in our room. And then we had to smell the smoke inside...
The room was very dark- especially in the bathroom. We had to use a flashlight to find our clothes in the closet. WiFi and cell service are spotty at best- which is frustrating when there is no TV.

Room Tip: The all the oceanfront rooms have great views, but the ones further from the restaurant will be quie...
Green Features: They do a great job of letting you decide if you want your linens changed, or housekeeping, and have recycling bins in the rooms. The rooms are so well insulated that you don't need AC very much, and are very quiet as a result.
4 Thank marvlatitall
Burbank, CA
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I went for our 6th wedding anniversary and I was very impressed with the property, the service and amenities. I've stayed in some fairly nice places but this was my favorite experience. Sometimes if a place is expensive, the staff can be snooty (I don't know... maybe rich people like that attitude or something?), which can make some one like myself feel uncomfortable asking for help or directions, or anything. I really liked the staff at Post Ranch, they were all friendly and approachable. The chef sent us out a special dessert for our anniversary dinner. The cliffside "pools" were 104 degrees, the perfect foil for the stiff breeze off the ocean. The room was nice... but to be honest I was out on the deck or walking the property, generally enjoying the quiet, exploring the garden, regular pool, doing yoga in the yurt or eating at the unbelievable view restaurant and was only in the room for a couple hours during one day to read and take a nap on the awesome window seat. It's difficult to rationalize spending that much money on a room... but I'm glad we did. The experience was world-class in my book. I believe that Big Sur is the most beautiful place on earth, and the Post Ranch displays all of it's diverse beauty right on the property.

Room Tip: I got the cheapest room possible (upper Butterfly) and still had a little peep of the ocean and was...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Big Sur
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#2 of 25 in Carmel

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!