Post Ranch Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
1,178 results
All reviewssierra martree housepacific suiteinfinity poolbutterfly roomupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennymini barupper butterflyocean viewhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earthbucket listcrackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I just wrapped a 10th anniversary trip to Post Ranch Inn. From the reviews, I'm wondering if there is another PRI in Big Sur? The location and views are spectacular, the restaurant was excellent and the service was very good. But the rooms? We paid $1500+ for a top ocean view room and were sorely disappointed. The vibe is earthy 70s and it delivered - I'm not sure our carpet had been changed since then given all of the stains and the room was very tired. I could have been at a Holiday Inn anywhere in the U.S. We voiced our concerns to management and upon viewing the room, one of the managers on duty said "I couldn't agree with you more than this is not acceptable ... if it was up to me, I would close that room for a week or more to fix it up." The manager was kind enough to show us 2 other rooms that were available - the one we selected was modestly better - we appreciated his interest in trying to make things right. One hot tub was broken and our massages were fine ... the spa has no amenities though - you walk in for your rub and walk out. My wife and I travel a decent amount and typically stay in very nice places. While the setting is very tranquil and lovely, for less than half the price we could have had an impeccable ocean front room and stay at the Ritz Half Moon Bay ... save your money and go there instead. Or as Sunset Magazine recently wrote about, stay down the road at Glen Oaks for a fraction of the price and drive to PRI for dinner. My wife and I joked that the property owners must laugh at all of us paying such prices for those rooms ... why fix them up if people will still pay the price!

Room Tip: My understanding is that the newer rooms face the mountains. So if you don't want to see the ocean, like cleanliness and want to save a few bucks, grab one of those.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Veritas96
Mike H, Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for choosing Post Ranch as the destination at which to celebrate your anniversary. While the expectations of the great majority of our guests are not just met, but exceeded, we’re sorry to hear that you felt that your stay fell short. Post Ranch prides itself on offering guests a rustic luxury retreat, something that is unique to our property and cannot be experienced at other, more traditional luxury hotels. Our rooms, and the resort as a whole, were designed to blend seamlessly into the natural setting in which we’re located. The peace and tranquility found on property is something that truly cannot be found anywhere else and is something that many of our guests actively seek out when choosing to stay with us. As you referenced in your review, we took your concerns seriously and did our very best to satisfy them by providing you with your choice of two additional rooms to occupy. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and if you ever decide to come back to Big Sur, it would be our pleasure to host you again and I can assure you that we will make every effort possible to assure the type of memorable experience to which our guests have grown accustomed.

Kind regards,
Mike Higgins

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I would give this place 6 stars if I could. This has to be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The hotel itself is just GORGEOUS. We stayed in a treehouse room and it exceeded our expectations in every way. We especially loved the little touches such as the welcome drinks, fully stocked fridge of delicious, healthy snacks and drinks, water bottles, and a real wood burning fireplace. The food and views at Sierra Mar were outstanding. The employees were beyond nice and courteous. The hikes around the property are also great. Yes, it is pricey, but you get more than you pay for. We are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelbirds0809
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Post Ranch Inn was a hotel I had been wanting to stay at ever since I had dinner there a few years ago. The beauty, dining, and architecture of the place just stuck with me. I knew it was something I had to someday experience. I finally had the perfect excuse and booked the room for my husband’s birthday, as I knew it was a place he was very fond of too.

The first thing I learned about this lovely resort: they take guest privacy very seriously. It is not easy to get onto the property if you aren’t a guest. At the bottom of the hill, before entering the property, they have a guard gate with a list. If you aren’t on that list, you aren’t getting in.

The second thing I learned is that the service is superb. When we pulled up to the reception area, we were greeted with our choice of a cold glass of wine, champagne, or sparkling water. We had gotten to the hotel before check in time and were given a tour of the property, which we were then asked where we might like to enjoy a cocktail while waiting for our room. We chose to lounge by one of the two over-sized hot tubs with a view. The staff wasted no time and sent out a server to take our drink orders.

We were then informed that the previous guests had not yet checked out of the room we were supposed to stay in and that they were going to upgrade us to a big beautiful suite. Yes please!

Our suite was more like a private villa. It was a stand alone, circular wooden structure surrounded by blossoming spring flower gardens. There was one suite on top and one on the bottom. Our view was magnificent. Green grassy cliffside and bright blue ocean. We had our own private steel hot tub on our deck, and multiple outdoor seating areas. The inside had a living room, a bedroom, and a large bathroom; all with floor to ceiling windows. It was well appointed with everything that you would expect from a five star property. My only complaint was one that I have with many luxury hotels, and that is that the bathroom is so big and open that it offers no privacy. It is separated from the bedroom by two small swinging door panels that are open on the top and bottom. So just be prepared to do your business in the restaurant or library if you are on a romantic getaway.

Next topic: Sierra Mar, the restaurant, just might be my favorite restaurant of all time. It’s best to get there before sunset, so you can enjoy the dramatic outdoor scenery before the sun goes down. They offer 2 options for dinner: a delicious, yet small four course meal, or a prix fixe nine course tasting menu, which will leave quite a dent in your pocket.

Our dinner was followed by a hot soak in the huge hot tub under the stars. What a wonderful experience this was.

To see my photos of the Post Ranch Inn please visit my travel blog here:

1  Thank Misha G
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Post Ranch Inn was beautiful! My honeymoons are never ending! I want to travel the world and the Post Ranch Inn has by far been the best! The scenic view was to die for! The service was amazing, the staff treat you like royalty! Great restaurant, no complaints for the food... the spa was luxurious and relaxing. This place really met our expectations.

Room Tip: I recommend having the 'Romance at the Ranch' package if you are going as a couple.
1  Thank Simranjit D
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is one of the abolute best hotels I have stayed in.
We had a lower room with full ocean view, and it just met all our expectations. From the minute you enter the property you feel relaxed. Beautiul spa, nice trekking, great restaurant.
What really hit me was that whatever pictures you see or discribtion you read before coming to this hotel, you still get overwhelmed - to me this is a really cool thing as most hotels promote themselves by the remodelled lobby.
If you want to spent a special weekend with you loved one this is one of the best places in the world !!!

1  Thank tourmngr