“Restaurant”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas
“Restaurant”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've not stayed at the Inn, but my wife and I celebrated our 35th at the restaurant last week. The service could not have been better. A wall of glass faces the ocean and cliff side, and the fog had just lifted revealing a wonderful view. But without the view, the restaurant was excellent. The meal, service and ambience were all perfect. One of the highlights of our trip to Big Sur.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Let me introduce myself as a seasoned traveller who has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world (Aman, Four Seasons, Banyan tree, Rosewood, Como, to name a few). When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast magazine, Travel & Leisure (see my other reviews). So I only like the best of the best. The Post Ranch Inn was high on my Bucket list. I really enjoyed it but I am not sure whether my very high expectations were fully met. I uploaded a lot of photos here & made a youtube clip as well to give you an idea of what to expect: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/2014/06/11/post-ranch-inn-a-big-sur-legend-california-usa/.

PROS:
•It has been written and said many times before by other guests, but the setting of the resort is spectacular beyond words, high atop the cliffs of Big Sur, 1200 feet (400 meters) above the massive Pacific Ocean. The breathtaking views over the blue waters, with the foggy cloud layer in the distance, will keep you mesmerized no matter what time of the day.
•Rooms come in 8 categories and are all located in separate “houses” located along the pedestrian walkway atop the clip: Butterfly, Mountain House, Tree House, and Peak House rooms all face the mountain side (some of them with open views, some of them with a view through the forest). Coast House, Ocean House, Pacific House, and Cliff House rooms all enjoy stunning views of the ocean. We stayed at both an Ocean House room and an Upper Butterfly Room, and we loved them both, although the views from the Ocean House were hard to beat.
•Rooms are cozily decorated in a warm Pacific design with lots of wooden touches. All rooms feature a heavenly soft King bed (with organic mattress), a wood-burning fireplace, large windows to take in the splendid views, a private deck, and a spacious bathrooms with an indoor – or outdoor (in the most expensive room categories) – spa tub for 2 (only the Lower Butterfly Room does not have a spa tub).
•The minibar is well stocked with lots of complimentary snacks (cheeses, fruit juices, wines, soft drinks, chips, fresh baked cookies). Great!
•WiFi is complimentary.
•Valet parking is complimentary.
•The Post Ranch Inn offers two cliff-top hot basking spas and one swimming pool. The two infinity Jade and Meditation Spas offer expansive views that meld sea and sky. Kept at a constant 104 degrees Fahrenheit (41°C), they provide a rejuvenating place where the panoramic natural beauty of Big Sur warms body and soul. Located on a serene and sunny knoll down the hill, the heated lap pool is perfect for a refreshing swim or a relaxing poolside sun bath.
•The restaurant offers exquisite dining with endless ocean views (and when you time it right, gorgeous sunset views). The dining menu changes daily with the choice between a four or nine course tasting menu, priced at $120 or $160 per person respectively. Each morning, until 10.30 am, complimentary gourmet breakfast buffet (with cold and hot food stations) was offered and this was truly one of the highlights of our day. I especially liked the selection of fruits and the salmon bagels.
•The resort has many complimentary activities on offer: morning yoga, guided hikes or saunters, stargazing with a celestial telescope, and whale watching (from the resort terraces in the right season).
•We did not try it, but the Post Ranch Inn has a Spa on site (which is supposed to be excellent, according to many reviews).
•The staff was as friendly as they could be, and they offered excellent service.
•The resort is eco-friendly (guests can even borrow a Lexus Hybrid).
•The Post Ranch Inn is an adults-only property (so perfect for those in need of romance and tranquility).
•Lots of little touches make you feel very spoilt, from the glass of local champagne on arrival to the flasks of cold water when you leave. A lot of thought and care has clearly gone into making guest’s visit so special.

CONS & THINGS TO KNOW:
•Room rates (starting at $750 for a mountain view room and more than $1000 for an ocean view room) and food (fixed dining menu starting at $120, excluding wine) are very high, but you should know this upfront, so this should not be an issue. The resort does have some promotions from time to time, especially in low season (December-February, excluding the holidays).
•The Post Ranch Inn is high above the sea and does not have access to a beach. However, it is only a 10-minute drive to stunning and wild Pfeiffer Beach.
•The rooms have no TVs or alarm clocks. But I considered this to be an advantage, not a disadvantage (why would you bother watching tv in this kind of setting, with all the utterly romantic amenities on offer ?).
•Hot tubs and swimming pool are located at a distance from each other (15 minutes by foot), so it is not an option to swim and revitalize in the hot tub immediately afterwards. In addition, in the blistering heat of a hot summer day (when there is no fog), a hot tub temperature of 104 degrees Fahrenheit (41°C) is simply too hot, but there was no possibility to cool down the tubs a little (most of the years however, on the colder days, they must be heaven).
•WiFi at the swimming pool was working, but not near the 2 hot tubs, where we spent most of our time, because of the view. We missed it to surf the internet on our tablets while enjoying the view there. Maybe this is a feature that the resort can add/fix ?
•We found the dining room and its views to be more impressive than the dinner which we thought was a little underwhelming for the price and did not fully met our high expectations. But les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas.
•Sunset views are only possible from the restaurant and the adjacent relaxation garden, but not from most ocean facing accommodations, at least not in spring & summer.
•The views are outstanding on a clear day. However, if you get a foggy day, your experience might be slightly disappointing.
•While views over the Ocean are terrific, you cannot really see the cliffs very well. I missed the presence of some paths, small hiking trails or benches down the hills below the Inn (without compromising the privacy of the guest rooms) to soak up the spectacular views and surroundings.
•The decor of some rooms feels a little dated and tired, and we agree that they could use a little refurbishment, to make guests feel a little more accepting of the very high room rates (which come with high expectations).
•All rooms feature one King-sized bed, so, unfortanately, this is not the best resort for a friends getaway. Only 4 rooms do have a window seating area that has a twin day-bed, hence allowing separate beds for friends (Ocean House North, Ocean House South, Upper Butterfly room, and Middle Butterfly room).
•The old-fashioned blinds were really hard to use and truly annoyed us (they were not closed by staff during the turn down service). This was a frustration for the 2 nights we were there, and the sunrise light woke us up each morning as we could not close all the blinds.

All in all a great experience, but we felt there was some room for improvement (especially given the high rates)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank LuxTravelExpert
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I just wrapped a 10th anniversary trip to Post Ranch Inn. From the reviews, I'm wondering if there is another PRI in Big Sur? The location and views are spectacular, the restaurant was excellent and the service was very good. But the rooms? We paid $1500+ for a top ocean view room and were sorely disappointed. The vibe is earthy 70s and it delivered - I'm not sure our carpet had been changed since then given all of the stains and the room was very tired. I could have been at a Holiday Inn anywhere in the U.S. We voiced our concerns to management and upon viewing the room, one of the managers on duty said "I couldn't agree with you more than this is not acceptable ... if it was up to me, I would close that room for a week or more to fix it up." The manager was kind enough to show us 2 other rooms that were available - the one we selected was modestly better - we appreciated his interest in trying to make things right. One hot tub was broken and our massages were fine ... the spa has no amenities though - you walk in for your rub and walk out. My wife and I travel a decent amount and typically stay in very nice places. While the setting is very tranquil and lovely, for less than half the price we could have had an impeccable ocean front room and stay at the Ritz Half Moon Bay ... save your money and go there instead. Or as Sunset Magazine recently wrote about, stay down the road at Glen Oaks for a fraction of the price and drive to PRI for dinner. My wife and I joked that the property owners must laugh at all of us paying such prices for those rooms ... why fix them up if people will still pay the price!

Room Tip: My understanding is that the newer rooms face the mountains. So if you don't want to see the oc...
14 Thank Veritas96
Mike H, Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Post Ranch as the destination at which to celebrate your anniversary. While the expectations of the great majority of our guests are not just met, but exceeded, we’re sorry to hear that you felt that your stay fell short. Post Ranch prides itself on offering guests a rustic luxury retreat, something that is unique to our property and cannot be experienced at other, more traditional luxury hotels. Our rooms, and the resort as a whole, were designed to blend seamlessly into the natural setting in which we’re located. The peace and tranquility found on property is something that truly cannot be found anywhere else and is something that many of our guests actively seek out when choosing to stay with us. As you referenced in your review, we took your concerns seriously and did our very best to satisfy them by providing you with your choice of two additional rooms to occupy. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and if you ever decide to come back to Big Sur, it would be our pleasure to host you again and I can assure you that we will make every effort possible to assure the type of memorable experience to which our guests have grown accustomed.

Kind regards,
Mike Higgins
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I would give this place 6 stars if I could. This has to be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The hotel itself is just GORGEOUS. We stayed in a treehouse room and it exceeded our expectations in every way. We especially loved the little touches such as the welcome drinks, fully stocked fridge of delicious, healthy snacks and drinks, water bottles, and a real wood burning fireplace. The food and views at Sierra Mar were outstanding. The employees were beyond nice and courteous. The hikes around the property are also great. Yes, it is pricey, but you get more than you pay for. We are already planning our return trip!

1 Thank travelbirds0809
Malibu, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Post Ranch Inn was a hotel I had been wanting to stay at ever since I had dinner there a few years ago. The beauty, dining, and architecture of the place just stuck with me. I knew it was something I had to someday experience. I finally had the perfect excuse and booked the room for my husband’s birthday, as I knew it was a place he was very fond of too.

The first thing I learned about this lovely resort: they take guest privacy very seriously. It is not easy to get onto the property if you aren’t a guest. At the bottom of the hill, before entering the property, they have a guard gate with a list. If you aren’t on that list, you aren’t getting in.

The second thing I learned is that the service is superb. When we pulled up to the reception area, we were greeted with our choice of a cold glass of wine, champagne, or sparkling water. We had gotten to the hotel before check in time and were given a tour of the property, which we were then asked where we might like to enjoy a cocktail while waiting for our room. We chose to lounge by one of the two over-sized hot tubs with a view. The staff wasted no time and sent out a server to take our drink orders.

We were then informed that the previous guests had not yet checked out of the room we were supposed to stay in and that they were going to upgrade us to a big beautiful suite. Yes please!

Our suite was more like a private villa. It was a stand alone, circular wooden structure surrounded by blossoming spring flower gardens. There was one suite on top and one on the bottom. Our view was magnificent. Green grassy cliffside and bright blue ocean. We had our own private steel hot tub on our deck, and multiple outdoor seating areas. The inside had a living room, a bedroom, and a large bathroom; all with floor to ceiling windows. It was well appointed with everything that you would expect from a five star property. My only complaint was one that I have with many luxury hotels, and that is that the bathroom is so big and open that it offers no privacy. It is separated from the bedroom by two small swinging door panels that are open on the top and bottom. So just be prepared to do your business in the restaurant or library if you are on a romantic getaway.

Next topic: Sierra Mar, the restaurant, just might be my favorite restaurant of all time. It’s best to get there before sunset, so you can enjoy the dramatic outdoor scenery before the sun goes down. They offer 2 options for dinner: a delicious, yet small four course meal, or a prix fixe nine course tasting menu, which will leave quite a dent in your pocket.

Our dinner was followed by a hot soak in the huge hot tub under the stars. What a wonderful experience this was.

To see my photos of the Post Ranch Inn please visit my travel blog here:

1 Thank Misha G
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Post Ranch Inn was beautiful! My honeymoons are never ending! I want to travel the world and the Post Ranch Inn has by far been the best! The scenic view was to die for! The service was amazing, the staff treat you like royalty! Great restaurant, no complaints for the food... the spa was luxurious and relaxing. This place really met our expectations.

Room Tip: I recommend having the 'Romance at the Ranch' package if you are going as a couple.
1 Thank Simranjit D
Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is one of the abolute best hotels I have stayed in.
We had a lower room with full ocean view, and it just met all our expectations. From the minute you enter the property you feel relaxed. Beautiul spa, nice trekking, great restaurant.
What really hit me was that whatever pictures you see or discribtion you read before coming to this hotel, you still get overwhelmed - to me this is a really cool thing as most hotels promote themselves by the remodelled lobby.
If you want to spent a special weekend with you loved one this is one of the best places in the world !!!

1 Thank tourmngr
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Glen Oaks Big Sur
#3 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!