Glen Oaks Big Sur
US$1,687
SmithHotels.com
US$182
  • Restaurant
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
US$461
US$249
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,242 results
All reviewsheated floorsmotor lodgelittle sur cabinfire pitbathroom floormid centurydonutsthe riverprivate patios'mores kitroad houseking roomview cabinboard gamesfiltered watermini fridgeandrew molera state park
Reviewed 24 April 2013

No TV, no hot tub, no fridge in the room. No swimming pool, no jaccuzzi, no gym. The environment is nice and cozy. BUT, the price is wayy too high for what it is. When we arrived there, I was surprised to see the sign was 'Glen Oak Motel'. I have always thought it was a Hotel. It is wayy too expensive for the facility they provide.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jing B
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We weren't sure what to expect from this pricy "motel". We booked the Little Sur cabin and it was delightful! We were slightly disappointed that it was not a stand-alone cabin (it's a large cabin divided into two smaller ones) but the doors opened in opposite directions and we could barely tell we were sharing the building. A short walk to the river, a lovely fire pit surrounded by giant trees, all the necessary amenities (including s'mores (extra cost), coffee, hot chocolate and even oatmeal!), fridge and microwave. Tiny bathroom but didn't feel cramped. Pricey but well worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Little Sur cabin #8. It faced one other cabin but there were trees in between. Would recommend this cabin if you want a little one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I'm a frequent traveler to Big Sur, and my husband and I were looking for a nice place to stay for my birthday that wasn't as expensive as Post Ranch Inn or Ventana Inn, so Glen Oaks seemed like a good choice. I'm sorry to have to share how totally disappointed I was. We stayed in a queen sized room in the Adobe Motor Lodge. The pluses: clean modern room, bathroom floor with heating option, nice walk in/modern shower. Drawbacks: At $279 a night, this room was very overpriced for what we got, even by Big Sur standards. I justified paying this price, as I thought I would be "treating myself" for my birthday, but we really didn't get anything extra for our money. Nothing but the basics were included in the room-- no wine (extra), no beverages, no snacks, no lotion, no extra anything. The bed was hard as a rock, and my husband couldn't get a good night's sleep. The room was about 50 feet from Highway 1 and faced it, and we heard traffic the entire time we were in the room. I think the front desk needs to be honest about this when prospective guests make reservations. We were so close to the adjoining room that when I sneezed, the person staying next door said "gezunteit." There was a tiny refrigerator in the room with a Britta water pitcher filled with lukewarm water. I examined the refrigerator to see if it could be made cooler, but was told by the front desk that because the refrigerators made too much noise, they could not be made colder, which rendered the refrigerator completely useless. We bought the nine dollar s'mores at the front desk, and planned on making them on the last night of our stay, as we were told that a fire was built every night at 7:00 PM. To our disappointment (but not surprise at this point), we went to make the s'mores at about 8 o'clock (on a Saturday) and there was no fire. We called the special "on-call" number to see if we could reach someone to request it, but we called and called and there was no answer. The front desk gave us wrong information about a hike that wasn't open, and when we got to the park we were told by the park ranger that the path that had been suggested to us was a series of parking lots, and that the bridge that would have made the hike doable for us either wasn't open or hadn't been built. Part of the problem might have been the xerox maps that the motel gives out, which we could barely read and which didn't seem accurate according to the park rangers. I found it deceptive that nowhere on the website did Glen Oaks call itself a motel, yet when we arrived we saw it was clearly marked "Glen Oaks Motel," which is exactly what it was. My overall impression of this motel was that the owners updated the decor in order to market it as an upscale inn and make a profit off of travelers like me, which I honestly wouldn't have minded if I felt I had gotten more value for my money. The next time I come to Big Sur, I will likely either stay at Tree Bones, or opt for more rustic accommodation a and save my money.

• Stayed: April 2013
9  Thank glipson
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed for just one night on a road trip down the coast. We stayed in the Sycamore Cabin and it was wonderful. We spent the evening sitting around the fire amongst the redwoods, wrapped in blankets, drinking wine and toasting marshmallows. The cabins have lovely decor, very comfortable and in tune with the surrounding environment. I would thoroughly recommend,

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JennyS80
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The rooms were unique were as nice as the reviews described. The grounds such as the firepit and the close proximity to the road were what I didn't expect. It was basically on the edge of highway 1. I was afraid the road noise might have been an issue while sleeping but it wasn't. It was relaxing and the staff were nice. It was more than I typically pay for a room but I guess given the limited choices it is understandable they can charge more. I thought charging for the wine and smores was going to far.

• Stayed: February 2013