“Cabin in the Red Woods”
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
South Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
“Cabin in the Red Woods”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed one night for our anniversary and I wish we would've stayed longer! The Little Sur Cabin is perfect for two- fire ring stocked with wood and ready to go, options for wine available in the room as well. Nice little place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When it came to planning our Pacific Coast Highway trip I had a hard time figuring out where to stay in Big Sur. We finally settled on Glen Oaks and boy were we happy we did! This place is so darn affordable we decided to splurge and reserve one of the Little Sur Cabins which was basically like having your own little house in the woods.

The cabin had a living room, kitchenette, bedroom, and bathroom with heated floors (!!!). We would've stayed inside more if it wasn't for the awesome firepit that was outside the cabin. They had even prepared it for us prior to our arrival so all we needed to bring were the marshmallows.

We loved everything about it and would recommend it to anyone traveling through Big Sur.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ladyninjitsu
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I've stayed at Glen Oaks at least 3 times now. My first stay was also reviewed on TripAdvisor, and I loved it then (2010). I would still recommend it to anyone that hasn't been there before.

However, this stay I heard much more neighbor noise than I had in my previous stays (this wasn't due to a specific room, as I had the exact same room this time as last). I listened to a woman coughing one night and a guy snoring throughout the next. I couldn't hear myself think on my own patio because the folks next door were talking in their area. (They weren't being overly loud, but you are in close proximity and there is really nothing blocking noise.)

There was also the strong smell of a nearby dead animal, so it was difficult to open the windows or door for cool air (a necessity as it has been quite warm). I realize this may not have been something Glen Oaks could control, but it did affect my stay.

They now offer complimentary coffee in the morning at the Big Sur Roadhouse across the street.

I paid extra for the King room with the indoor/outdoor fireplace, but since the weather was so warm, I never turned it on.

The rooms are very clean and the pillows are quite comfy. Would be nice to have a shelf in the shower for my own personal products.

I was a little turned off by the amount of upselling they are now trying to do: 2 bottles of wine in the fridge taking up valuable space (these are not complimentary), a bottle of wine on the dresser, a book that says they'll sell it to you, etc. Then when you check out you are asked if you drank any of the wine or took any of the products. It's one thing to have a binder to let people know what products are available for purchase but a little off-putting to try nickel and diming when the rooms are already expensive.

I'm still giving this place an overall 4 stars because I think it is worth staying at once, but I don't plan to come back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank ohiojettagirl
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was a pricey stop over during our drive from L.A to San Francisco. But it was so worth it! The room was so refined with luxurious decor and the odd Eames chair in the corner was a nice touch for us who love our mid-century furniture! The room was an excellent size with a fireplace, which was a lovely touch once it got dark.

Check in/out service was very good. The complimentary hot drinks from reception were good too.

Wish we had been there for longer than one night!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oakville Ontario
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We loved Glen Oaks....tremendous attention to detail. From the vintage furnished rooms to the outdoor fire room it was all perfect. The gardens are lovely and the staff friendly and responsive. The restaurant exceeded our dinner expectations and breakfast was good. We would recommend and look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Room 5 was great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This is such a beautiful area you just can't go wrong. This hotel was a splurge but well worth it. Convenient location to spectacular Big Sur scenery and hiking. Cute shops along this stretch of road too. Very clean, quiet and peaceful. No TV in the rooms, but a lovely modern fireplace which was much better! Our only complaint was that someone called us a week before our trip and pressured us to make reservations at the Road House across the street. This was totally unnecessary because we easily found other restaurants were available without a reservation. Maybe during peak season it would have been an issue, but not in May!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in one of the Little Sur cabins. It was a short walk to a nice spot to read next to the river. Our bed was comfy. For the price (very high I thought) the cabin itself seemed a bit cramped. The closet doors did not stay open properly and there were a few other little details I would not even bother to mention except at this level you think everything ought to be perfect....like the shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower were stopped up. Very nice outdoor fire pit on our deck.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!