“Relaxing and Refreshing!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Baltimore, Maryland
“Relaxing and Refreshing!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at Glen Oaks for 3 nights as part of a trip to CA. I found the resort on the internet and the fact that Redwoods were outside your doorstep sealed the deal for me. We booked a little Sur cabin and couldn't have had a better stay. Although small, we loved every bit about it. The bed was comfortable and having the window open to fresh, cool air, and the sound of the Big Sur River at night helped us sleep like babies. But the best was the fire pit. We used it every single day for hours. We popped a bottle of wine and sat by the fire. We loved our stay here and would definitely return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Glen Oaks for our anniversary. We were charmed by the decor, lush landscaping, community fire pits and fabulous restaurant. We stayed in a motor lodge room that had it's on private courtyard and loved the heated floors in the bathroom! This is a great choice in Big Sur if you want a step up from camping but don't have the cash for Ventana or Post Ranch. Just know that the rooms don't have televisions or irons - embrace the wilderness experience!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank mhclauren
simi valley
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Celebrating our wedding anniversary in Big Sur & made reservations to stay at Glen Oaks Inn. Upon arrival, we were told our reservations had been cancelled by mistake and there was no more room at the Inn. Office manager (Melissa Morris), pulled a rabbit out of her hat and saved the trip! She was very polite, professional and worked hard to make things right for us. Glen Oaks is a beautiful & comfortable Inn but our room had no coffee/tea maker or air conditioning. Fortunately, the weather was nice. We wouldn't hesitate to return to the Glen Oaks Inn. Also, I would have given them an even better review if it hadn't been for the mistaken cancellation to begin with. The last thing anyone wants to think could happen when you've planned a trip, confirmed your reservations and traveled for hours is to hear your room has been (inadvertently) cancelled!

Room Tip: Rm #8 had a bit of highway noise and with no A/C, you'd probably want the windows open. Loved th...
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I traveled to the Big Sur area June 23, 2014. After the long drive up the coast from LA, I was so happy to check into our Little Sur cabin located by the river. Before the trip, I read tripadvisor suggestions to request cabin 8 and so I did. It is the furthest from the road, and close enough to the river to hear the water running. Although small, the cabin makes great use of every bit of the space that it does have. We checked in, poured ourselves a glass of wine and walked down to the river to enjoy the chairs by the river - unfortunately they were in use. Not a big deal. We returned to our private fire pit area at the base of the beautiful redwoods and relaxed before dinner.

We made our way to the Roadhouse restaurant and enjoyed an amazing salmon dinner, paired with a beautiful Russian River Pinot Noir recommended by our server. The salmon was perfectly grilled, and the local vegetables fresh and tasty. Although the prices were a bit high for the meal, we enjoyed it tremendously.

We returned to our cabin and sat outside to enjoy a fire, a glass of wine and s'mores of course! The setting was perfect, and very romantic. We danced by the fire and talked for hours. When we turned in for the night, we found the bed incredibly comfortable and the temperature in the cabin perfect for sleeping. I enjoyed the best sleep I've had in years that evening.

Unfortunately we were unable to secure the Little Sur cabin for the second night and had to move to the Motor Lodge King Room. When we checked into the room we found it to be incredibly warm and stuffy. We opened all of the windows and went for a high to Pfeiffer Falls. When we returned to relax with a glass of wine, the room had cooled down, however the noise from the highway, and the Fernwood cafe located behind the bathroom window, as well as the noise of foot and car traffic out in front of the larger window - made me feel like I was camping on the side of a roadway. Far from relaxing. We were in room 4 - towards the back which I thought would be a good thing, but I'm afraid not. I spent a very restless night trying to block out noise, without suffocating in a warm room.

Two nights, two different rooms, two VERY different experiences. The King room was far more expensive and yet left me feeling exhausted and stressed after one night. I could not wait to get out of there.

I would return but ONLY stay in the Little Sur cabins and my rating for the resort would be a solid 5 based on that one night stay. For my stay at the motor lodge, I would give the resort a two. I would recommend that you stay away from the Motor Lodge if you have sleep issues as I do, or if you are a light sleeper.

2 Thank BudgetwiseTraveller
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very cool little hotel right on Highway 1. All of the rooms felt like their own little cabins. Once you go inside it's nothing like a log cabin! It had the feel of a small boutique hotel. Nice furniture and a very comfortable feel. There was a fireplace in the wall, a small refrigerator, and even some board games. There's a nice fire pit outside with benches around it and they sell s'mores kits!
We've read some of the mixed reviews recently but we did not encounter any issues with hearing our neighbors or traffic noise.

Great place, we will definitely stay here again when we're back in Big Sur!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank metfanatic11
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed in the Motor Lodge which is right off Highway 1. It's sort of has a motel feel but the rooms are much nicer. Our room was located towards the back so I was happy about that. The decor is mid-century modern, which I loved. The bedroom is average sized and the bathroom was large. Room included games and fun magazines like Dwell and Sunset. We took advantage of the little patio out front and drank wine out there every night. The forest around the property is also quite lovely. There's a little river across the street.

The one thing I did not like was that the walls seemed sort of thin - and I'm a light sleeper. Luckily our neighbors were pretty quiet so it wasn't too bad but I could hear when they returned home and when they were talking in their rooms. When we were there, most of the other guests at the Lodge were couples in their 20s to 40s.

We also enjoyed the Roadhouse restaurant across the street. Cool mid-century modern decor and good food. We ate dinner there twice. Although I admit one time was out of convenience since we had been drinking and did not want to get into a car and go somewhere.

I would probably stay here again although I want to try Deetjen's too.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Beautiful place, there are obviously some nice cabins.
We stayed at the Cottage. It is spacious, but not as nicely done as the pictures I saw of some of the other cabins. Although it is nicely painted and the bed is okay, some of it still feels old. That green vinyl floor in the bathroom was not clean enough to enjoy the heated floors bare-foot, and the pedestal sink has no room to put any of my own toiletries or the toiletry bag.
My main issue: this cabin, although you cannot see it through the gorgeous trees surrounding it, is situated right above Hwy 1, so the traffic noise is bothersome, especially if you want to enjoy the charming patio with its Adirondak chairs.
The kitchen is well equipped for a (very) light (and very sweet) breakfast, coffe, tea and all the other stuff you need to make lunch or dinner, when you bring your own food. As a tea lover I appreciated the tea kettle, since I don't enjoy the stale coffee tasting hot water when the water is heated in the coffee maker.
I also liked the fact that the shower soap and conditioner are in wall mounted containers - the thought of all the small plastic bottles filling the landfills is bothersome.
Overall - charming place, over priced but not over rated, because nature is so glorious.

Room Tip: Do not choose the cottage if traffic noise bothers you.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
#3 of 8 in Big Sur
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#2 of 25 in Carmel

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!