“Customer Service needs Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
“Customer Service needs Improvement”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

It was a wonderful location, nice cabins and lodge rooms. Very creative designs with gas burning fireplaces in the lodge rooms close to the reception area. We would, however have appreciated coffee makers and small refrigerators in the rooms. Furnishings and interior designs of the rooms are up to date and blend beautifully with the natural environment that surrounds this area. Our only concern was the inflexibility of the guest services staff -- no late check outs under any circumstances, excessive concern over noise from group gatherings in the designated areas and 11p auto-shutoff of the outdoor fire pit. Overall, not a very friendly staff other than the housekeepers and the gardener -- they were great. Also very convenient to the Roadhouse Grill right across the street.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Oklahoma
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Staying in a modern cabin set in the redwoods was a dream for us! We couldn't wait to spend a couple of nights here. So how did our real life dream play out?
The surroundings will take your breath away. This alone was enough to make me happy.
I had very high expectations for the cabin itself. I was expecting glamping (glamorous camping). For the most part, I was satisfied. I did find myself feeling a bit disappointed by some things. Such as: I understand it's a cabin in the woods, but it's a very expensive cabin. After a day, I was really wanting a little tv time. Even a radio or an iPod docking station would've been nice, but there's not even one of those. I wanted to iron my clothes before going out to dinner. There wasn't one in the room-really? Again-this isn't a state park cabin I'm paying for. I was also a little put off to find soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower instead of actual toiletries that I can take home as a memento. One of them didn't even work. That's just me being picky. If you're going to ask luxury prices and build such a beautiful cabin, please pay a little more attention to the details because they can make or break your impression of a place.
The plus side: The bed was very comfortable. The grounds couldn't have been more picturesque. The cabin is very nice! It just needs a little more refining in my opinion to live up to its full potential.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank justtrippinok
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at Glen Oaks for 3 nights as part of a trip to CA. I found the resort on the internet and the fact that Redwoods were outside your doorstep sealed the deal for me. We booked a little Sur cabin and couldn't have had a better stay. Although small, we loved every bit about it. The bed was comfortable and having the window open to fresh, cool air, and the sound of the Big Sur River at night helped us sleep like babies. But the best was the fire pit. We used it every single day for hours. We popped a bottle of wine and sat by the fire. We loved our stay here and would definitely return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Glen Oaks for our anniversary. We were charmed by the decor, lush landscaping, community fire pits and fabulous restaurant. We stayed in a motor lodge room that had it's on private courtyard and loved the heated floors in the bathroom! This is a great choice in Big Sur if you want a step up from camping but don't have the cash for Ventana or Post Ranch. Just know that the rooms don't have televisions or irons - embrace the wilderness experience!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank mhclauren
simi valley
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Celebrating our wedding anniversary in Big Sur & made reservations to stay at Glen Oaks Inn. Upon arrival, we were told our reservations had been cancelled by mistake and there was no more room at the Inn. Office manager (Melissa Morris), pulled a rabbit out of her hat and saved the trip! She was very polite, professional and worked hard to make things right for us. Glen Oaks is a beautiful & comfortable Inn but our room had no coffee/tea maker or air conditioning. Fortunately, the weather was nice. We wouldn't hesitate to return to the Glen Oaks Inn. Also, I would have given them an even better review if it hadn't been for the mistaken cancellation to begin with. The last thing anyone wants to think could happen when you've planned a trip, confirmed your reservations and traveled for hours is to hear your room has been (inadvertently) cancelled!

Room Tip: Rm #8 had a bit of highway noise and with no A/C, you'd probably want the windows open. Loved th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I traveled to the Big Sur area June 23, 2014. After the long drive up the coast from LA, I was so happy to check into our Little Sur cabin located by the river. Before the trip, I read tripadvisor suggestions to request cabin 8 and so I did. It is the furthest from the road, and close enough to the river to hear the water running. Although small, the cabin makes great use of every bit of the space that it does have. We checked in, poured ourselves a glass of wine and walked down to the river to enjoy the chairs by the river - unfortunately they were in use. Not a big deal. We returned to our private fire pit area at the base of the beautiful redwoods and relaxed before dinner.

We made our way to the Roadhouse restaurant and enjoyed an amazing salmon dinner, paired with a beautiful Russian River Pinot Noir recommended by our server. The salmon was perfectly grilled, and the local vegetables fresh and tasty. Although the prices were a bit high for the meal, we enjoyed it tremendously.

We returned to our cabin and sat outside to enjoy a fire, a glass of wine and s'mores of course! The setting was perfect, and very romantic. We danced by the fire and talked for hours. When we turned in for the night, we found the bed incredibly comfortable and the temperature in the cabin perfect for sleeping. I enjoyed the best sleep I've had in years that evening.

Unfortunately we were unable to secure the Little Sur cabin for the second night and had to move to the Motor Lodge King Room. When we checked into the room we found it to be incredibly warm and stuffy. We opened all of the windows and went for a high to Pfeiffer Falls. When we returned to relax with a glass of wine, the room had cooled down, however the noise from the highway, and the Fernwood cafe located behind the bathroom window, as well as the noise of foot and car traffic out in front of the larger window - made me feel like I was camping on the side of a roadway. Far from relaxing. We were in room 4 - towards the back which I thought would be a good thing, but I'm afraid not. I spent a very restless night trying to block out noise, without suffocating in a warm room.

Two nights, two different rooms, two VERY different experiences. The King room was far more expensive and yet left me feeling exhausted and stressed after one night. I could not wait to get out of there.

I would return but ONLY stay in the Little Sur cabins and my rating for the resort would be a solid 5 based on that one night stay. For my stay at the motor lodge, I would give the resort a two. I would recommend that you stay away from the Motor Lodge if you have sleep issues as I do, or if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BudgetwiseTraveller
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very cool little hotel right on Highway 1. All of the rooms felt like their own little cabins. Once you go inside it's nothing like a log cabin! It had the feel of a small boutique hotel. Nice furniture and a very comfortable feel. There was a fireplace in the wall, a small refrigerator, and even some board games. There's a nice fire pit outside with benches around it and they sell s'mores kits!
We've read some of the mixed reviews recently but we did not encounter any issues with hearing our neighbors or traffic noise.

Great place, we will definitely stay here again when we're back in Big Sur!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Carmel Valley
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!