“Tranquil beauty among the redwoods”
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in the river view cabin- it was exactly what I hoped for- peace and quiet tucked beneath giant redwoods. Each night we sat outside in front of a fire that had been beautifully laid for us and listened to the sounds of the river. The cabins were perfect for the setting and very comfortable. We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Slawall

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We recently spent 3 nights in one of the lodge rooms. We found the rooms to be spacious and quite comfortable. The shower with the stone floor was great as was the heated bathroom floor. Our room was directly next to the outdoor fire pit and we were a bit concerned that it would be noisey at night but we had no issue with that. It was actually very quiet. The rooms also had a small refrigerator with a britta water pitcher and several bottles of wine for purchase. We removed the wine bottles and used the fridge for our own supplies. Be aware there is NO Airconditioning but you really don't need it. We slept with the windows open and honestly were not bothered by road noise.
Actually it got so cool, our last night there, that we turned our fireplace on in the morning--quite nice!!!
We ate at the Roadhouse across the street for dinner once and breakfast once and both were good. They also served complimentary coffee in the AM for hotel guests.
This is a great place and quite reasonable compared to the Post Ranch and Ventana Inn.
The couple we were traveling with did have a bit of an issue one evening with noise from the unit next to them. We did not have an issue but perhaps the walls are not too soundproof! That is probably the only negative I could mention
I had read that the WiFi was not that great but we had 5 bars the whole time in our room. Perhaps because we were so close to the office??????
Lastly, we had inadvertently left a valuable in the room at checkout. The Office staff called my cell phone within a few hours to tell me and make arrangements to fedex it overnight to me. We were very impressed with their honesty!!! Thank you so much for this to housekeeping also!
All in all, it was a fantastic base for us in beautiful Big Sur!

2  Thank emacPa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We went to Big Sur for the Fourth of July weekend and stayed at Glen Oaks for the first time. We stayed in the Big Sur cabin. We could not have asked for more. The cabin had wood-burning fire pits in the front and back yards and twin bath tubs in the back yard too. We used the bath tubs and fire pits both nights. Cocktails at the front yard firepit and after-dinner champagne and baths in the back. We had our coffee in the Adirondack chairs on the river's edge both mornings, enjoying the running water, towering redwoods, and complete privacy. The forest setting was surreal. We couldn't decide if we were more in love with the redwoods surrounding us or sycamores that lined the river. We walked to dinner at the Roadhouse one night and had a fabulous meal, attended by fun and engaging wait staff. The cabin was charming....modern but rustic, completely comfortable and clean, with views of the forest out of every window. We can't wait for our next trip to Big Sur!

Room Tip: We loved the Big Sur cabin, which is the cabin closest to the Big Sur River.
2  Thank Haydi_12
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Glen Oaks is a very restful, beautiful place, although the prices definitely reflect this. From check in to check out, the person at the front desk was helpful and professional. A tiny kitchenette would have helped defray breakfast expenses. Love the tables and chairs outside each unit, but the river is actually a 10 minute walk downhill across the highway. Would definitely stay again, maybe in the off season when the rates are a bit lower. Good location.

2  Thank SunsetSF
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It was a wonderful location, nice cabins and lodge rooms. Very creative designs with gas burning fireplaces in the lodge rooms close to the reception area. We would, however have appreciated coffee makers and small refrigerators in the rooms. Furnishings and interior designs of the rooms are up to date and blend beautifully with the natural environment that surrounds this area. Our only concern was the inflexibility of the guest services staff -- no late check outs under any circumstances, excessive concern over noise from group gatherings in the designated areas and 11p auto-shutoff of the outdoor fire pit. Overall, not a very friendly staff other than the housekeepers and the gardener -- they were great. Also very convenient to the Roadhouse Grill right across the street.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Staying in a modern cabin set in the redwoods was a dream for us! We couldn't wait to spend a couple of nights here. So how did our real life dream play out?
The surroundings will take your breath away. This alone was enough to make me happy.
I had very high expectations for the cabin itself. I was expecting glamping (glamorous camping). For the most part, I was satisfied. I did find myself feeling a bit disappointed by some things. Such as: I understand it's a cabin in the woods, but it's a very expensive cabin. After a day, I was really wanting a little tv time. Even a radio or an iPod docking station would've been nice, but there's not even one of those. I wanted to iron my clothes before going out to dinner. There wasn't one in the room-really? Again-this isn't a state park cabin I'm paying for. I was also a little put off to find soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower instead of actual toiletries that I can take home as a memento. One of them didn't even work. That's just me being picky. If you're going to ask luxury prices and build such a beautiful cabin, please pay a little more attention to the details because they can make or break your impression of a place.
The plus side: The bed was very comfortable. The grounds couldn't have been more picturesque. The cabin is very nice! It just needs a little more refining in my opinion to live up to its full potential.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank justtrippinok
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at Glen Oaks for 3 nights as part of a trip to CA. I found the resort on the internet and the fact that Redwoods were outside your doorstep sealed the deal for me. We booked a little Sur cabin and couldn't have had a better stay. Although small, we loved every bit about it. The bed was comfortable and having the window open to fresh, cool air, and the sound of the Big Sur River at night helped us sleep like babies. But the best was the fire pit. We used it every single day for hours. We popped a bottle of wine and sat by the fire. We loved our stay here and would definitely return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#6 of 25 in Carmel

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!