“Lovely trip down the PCH” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
New York City, New York
“Lovely trip down the PCH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We absolutely loved our time in Big Sur! We were traveling from SF to Big Sur and loved how easy it was to find Glen Oaks. Upon arrival, we were greeted with iced tea and water after our journey. We loved the room with its own private fireplace - the heated floors in the bathroom were so nice on a cold night! The outdoor fire pit was a great way to relax after a long day of hiking.

Aside from the hotel, the restaurant across the street [related to the inn] was also amazing! Big Sur Roadhouse had great breakfast and dinner fare. One night, we went to a few other places before coming back there, disappointed with the menus and prices of others. Roadhouse had a great menu of options and was reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have private outdoor areas - some just have table/chairs facing parking. I stayed...
2 Thank Cara S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I made a point of writing prior to our visit to ensure a quiet private location because we were celebrating a special birthday for my wife and was told that I had selected a very nice, private location. After spending over $750 for two nights on a "private" cabin, we quickly found out once on site that our cabin was attached to another cabin, was exposed to the road (and everyone walking past) and later were treated to the horrible noise that vibrated throughout our room each time our connected neighbors opened or closed the sliding glass door to their side of the cabin we all shared. And that went on all night long, both nights. At first, we thought the noise was an earthquake (that is how loud it was). We expected a small space (which it was) and that it would be in the redwoods (also true) but at the $375 per night price, the noise and lack of privacy, didn't make it a very romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Do not pick the Little Sur Cabin on the south - it's on the road and not private at all and the...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank redmesastudio
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Accomodation Is limited on the Big Sur. We went out of our budget and were not disappointed.
Pub .5 of a mile back towards Carmel is excellent and good value.
Free drinks from Restaurant with doughnuts from shop next to Road Lodge was a great breakfast in the sun.
Fire Pits are excellent, S'mores were fun.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Glen Oaks Big Sur is surrounded by beautiful redwoods. The private fire pit was amazing. They have plenty of wood for guests to use. We stayed in the Little Sur cabin. It was very small but adequate. My only issue was I could hear the people next to us talking at 5:30 in the morning. The walls are very thin. My husband slept through it with no problem so maybe it won't be a problem if your not a light sleeper. The coffee maker wasn't working very well, and we could have used more than one small bar of soap for two nights. We didn't say anything so I am sure they would have taken care of it had we asked. The front desk was very helpful. One other note, the restaurant is a walk from the cabins. I had brought heels just in case I would get dressed a little nicer for dinner, not a chance if you we had walked there.

Room Tip: Room eight was great, outside of the thin walls. I loved the private fire pit surrounded by redwoods...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank djlizardo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I loved this place!! It's not on the ocean, it doesn't have valet, it doesn't have tv, room service or even AC & it barely has wifi, but I loved it just the same. It's super cute & romantic with a retro midcentury modern hippy vibe going on. We stayed in the "Adobe King" in which they provide you with in-room board games, yoga matts, a fire place, a big comfy bed, heated bathroom floors & a private patio...what else could you need? There's an outdoor fire place with s'mores, a couple vending machines, a nice trail by the river & a fabulous restaurant across the street. Plus Big Sur itself is to die for from the amazing restaurants to the beautiful beaches & hikes to the unearthly views. I can't wait to come back!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I just returned from our fifth visit here. The lodge and cabins are under new management, and although the overall premises are just as lovely as before, two design oversights remain. I had hoped they would have been corrected by now. One is the lack of a grab bar in the otherwise very nice shower, and the other is inadequate lighting in the bathroom. The dim lighting in the bathroom has always been a problem for me -- I like to be able to see what I'm doing when I put my makeup on! In the lodge rooms at Glen Oaks, there is a dim bulb over the bathroom mirror, and this bulb is covered with -- of all things -- a BROWN shade. I was so frustrated this time around that I asked the office staff to have the shade removed. Rosa, who was in charge of the reception desk at the time, was most helpful! Within minutes, she had a maintenance man come to the room to remove the shade for me. The next day, he returned with a slightly brighter bulb. Be prepared to ask for the same help when you visit, if you use makeup and like to see how you're applying it. If Rosa is at the desk, I know that she'll help you right away. She was so accommodating and understanding, and it was a pleasure to talk with her.

Room Tip: Avoid lodge room #1 if possible. It has a window that is half the size of the window in other rooms...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

we enjoyed one night at this place in Big Sur. spacious room. great bathroom with huge shower. Little terrace were we sat and read. What a treat to sleep with windows open, cool air blowing, under a blanket! The hotel is not inexpensive (but it is California coast in high season), but we were happy to spend one night there. Surprisingly, although we were close to the highway, we were not disturbed by street noise. comfortable bed too!

Room Tip: away from the highway if possible
      Rooms
Ventana Inn & Spa
Ventana Inn & Spa
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,165 reviews

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!