“Great time at the Fernwood!”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our 2nd time staying at the Fernwood. Our room (C) was much better this time. Larger room and shower. Wood floors, comfortable bed. The Fernwood is a great spot for excursions/adventures around Big Sur. The staff went out of their way to help us. The guys at the desk was very helpful getting us extra towels. By the way the price ($125) is unbeatable for the location. The restaurant and bar are also great. By the way...we won Tuesday Trivia Night! Woot! Woot! Our friends did the "Glamping" in the campground which was cool also. No phone, No TV, do what! You get free wi-fi to upload all your pictures. Go out and enjoy the views. We will stay there everytime we are in Big Sur!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at the motel during my bike ride from SF to LA and the place definitely served my needs. However, what you get for the price is very sad. Unfortunately there aren't that many choices to stay in the Big Sur, so this place is survivable. The motel room was extremely small, but clean and had everything I needed. It was convenient to have a restaurant as part of the resort which was OK as well. Next time I have to stay in the Big Sur, I'll look at other options, but wouldn't mind staying at the Fernwood if I had to.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BigGFoodie1
Reviewed 14 July 2014

After reading about the loud and crowded conditions that some folks experienced, my husband and I had a very nice stay in one of the motel rooms (room A) . Fortunately we were there on a Tuesday night so things were very quiet. Our room was fine but certainly not refined. The hot tub was nice but it takes about an hour to fill. The staff were less than friendly (young 20-somethings who look at you like you're a worm) but again, the room was OK and even though the price was outrageous for the lodgings, there is nothing cheaper in the Big Sur area. I would recommend with reservations - go during a week night and stay out of the office.

Room Tip: Motel room A was furthest from office/bar.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just returned from a 5 day stay at Fernwood resort. We had a family of 7 with children ranging from 12 to 19. We stayed in the tent cabins and the adventure tent, I will say the tent cabins were convenient, however the campground is very small and very crowded. Right next to highway one it was noisy and often sounded like we were in a big city. The grounds themselves had many occupants who live there permanently which created other issues. Last year I stayed at Pfieffer State Park across the way and it was much more peaceful and what I was looking for in Big Sur camping.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kasi_Mark
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I would like to rate this place much higher (good location, adequate rooms, respectable food) but I am sitting here at midnight awoken and completely disturbed by karoke night at the bar located here at the Fernwood. Our motel room is one of the farthest from the bar, yet it is extremely loud and woke my 2 year old and me - including all the traffic the bar attracts. Not well suited for families. Too bad b/c I otherwise have been enjoying it here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank a s
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay in the tent cabins over 4th of July and I have to say after 40 years of camping all over America this is no place to stay if sleeping is important to you. The main problem is this is a hotel running a campground, not a national or state park so they can not close the road into the campground since for one thing employees live amongst the campers. So employees and bar and grill patrons can and do wander and drive down the gavel road past the tents which line said road at all hours of the night. People possibly drunk from visiting the bar walk past all night talking at the top of their voice. I had to get up and leave my tent flashlight in hand to confront a few. Our first night we had a group of college kids playing quarters and screaming profanities at the top of their lungs. At 11:40PM I had to walk over to ask them to be quiet. Where was the Fernwood staff? I am told if there is a noise problem you should call the bar and they will send someone down (ridiculous). Then an RV pulls in next to my site at lights blasting my tent while he searches for his electric and water hook ups. The next night an Indian family reunion took place with over 30 people cramming the area laughing, screaming and partying until 130AM. There is a noise policy not well posted or explained upon check in for quiet curfew at 10PM but this is not enforced AT ALL. In 3 nights we slept maybe 3-4 hours total and were DOA when we got home. This is not quiet, peaceful ,tranquil camping under the Redwoods. This is a hotel/trailer park masquerading as a campground. They do not limit person per tent or area just charge you per head for overflow. The RV site next to ours had 3 tents pitched right on top of our site. It is a pretty area under the redwoods along the Big Sur river and a great location near beaches and parks but you would sleep better at a motel near the airport. My suggestion for management would be to post LARGE signs about noise rules, explain upon check in to all that this is strictly enforced. Close the road at 10 with a chain. Employees who live on the site have to be parked by 10, or walk down the steps and park above and have a hotel and bar employees take shifts and walk the grounds every hour until 3AM when it finally quiets down. We would never return nor would any of our friends until this is fixed. There are other campgrounds in the area.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here in a tent cabin choose 8,9,10 far back from the bar and driveways.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jeff g
Reviewed 13 June 2014

One of the best vacations ever, we were surprised to find how great the cabin was and everything is available in it, electricity, all the kitchen accessories and air condition, TV with a DVD player (although you don't need them), even a torch light if you wanted to wonder at night in the woods. Just an amazing stay, we enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!