“a waste of my money”

Ranked #1 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
California
“a waste of my money”
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I was on vacation with my 3 grandkids under the age of 10. We had been in our car for about 6 hours and were hoping for someplace nice for the night. We stayed in one of their new cabins to find out they didn't have any hot water and when I complained they said try again in the morning. Well, we tried again in the morning and even after letting the water run for about 10 minutes to see if it would heat up still nothing. The office staff was no help at all and we packed up early in the morning and left. Not worth the almost $200 a night that I paid for that supposedly new cabin. What a waste!!!!!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We booked this hotel during our trip from LA to San Francisco, along the Pacific Coast Hwy. And we were pleasantly surprised by the location of the hotel. It was affordable compared to the other hotels in the area ($84). It has a great grill and restaurant.The staff was very friendly too.
The only downside was that the bathroom had a few stains. But being there only for a night, we did not mind it at all. The food at the restaurant was great, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My partner and I arrived in Big Sur after a 13 hour flight and a 7 hour drive along some of the most beautiful coast line I've seen. We didn't want to spend a lot of money and chose Fernwood for both the location to Big Sur's sights and it's cheap rooms.

They gave us a choice of a very simple and very small $85 room or a more expensive but larger room with a fireplace for $115. After viewing each room, we decided on the very small room as it was only one night and didn't need all the mod cons.

It suited as very well and the room is indeed close to the highway as a previous reviewer mentioned however any noise didn't bother us as we are deep sleepers. The only noise I heard was from the band that plays in the ajoining bar until around midnight. It actually worked out well as we didn't know there would be a band and the very small room is the at the very far end of the accommodation.

We enjoyed our short stay at Fernwood. It was close to everything, the hotel had a bar, good food and live music. Definitely recommend it.

A quick tip - we really wanted to go to the Esalen Institute's hot springs during their guest hours of 1am to 3am however we weren't able to get a reservation. I have heard very good things about this and I definitely regret not booking this experience weeks in advance.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
München
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Got there late on a Saturday, sunny weekend, everything else fully booked or way too expensive. They rented me a small "overflow" room for $80, very small, very noisy (right next to Highway 1), but if you know the prices in Big Sur, that is a good value. Room well kept. Only go to Big Sur with Camping equipment - and always book ahead, especially as long as the state sites are still closed due to the forest fires. No breakfast available at the resort."

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
CA.
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Hi folks. Been going to fernwood for years but my last visit wasn't quite up to par.
We pulled into the camp sight and got a hard time for going slightly over the limit just a touch.
Then tent campimg at $45- a night. What's up with that?
Last but not least we went up for a drink and the bar tender turned out to be for a real [--]!! Tall older guy like my self. May be he was having an off night. But I don't need it.
Looking for some place new.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We travelled in August of this year and had a great time at Fernwood. Check in was great and our room was awesome-beautiful,clean and rustic. The bed was the best ever and we slept great. The bar did have live music until about 12 and we enjoyed listening to it from our room. We opened our window and it felt like luxury camping. I have stayed at Post Ranch 5 times and I love it too, but this only cost $100 on a Saturday night in August and as a bonus the property is on the Big Sur river and we loved swimming in it. There was no noise between rooms either. It was great great great.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ChrisSanFrancisco
lriverside, ca
Reviewed 17 October 2008

we stayed at the fernwood motel, and what an adventure. my first impression of the room was not so great but later grew on me, my husband and kids hated it. it was built in the 30's so it is quite old, tiny shower, no screens on the windows, no tv, phone, or in room beverages, just basically a place to sleep for the night.

i would say if you are looking for luxury and comfort and a room to relax this would not be your place, but if you are looking for adventure and have a great sense of humor this would be. The resort overall has great character from the little store to the tavern and restaurant, if i were single or just with my husband this place would do just fine. there were little quirks and slowly working things like the slow flushing toilet, portable heater, smoke alarm randomly going off in the middle of the night .

One thing though which i think was most important and the fernwood lived up to was cleanliness. the sheets and bathroom, blankets and towels were so nice and clean and to me that made up for its quirks.

We walked down to the campgrounds, if you are looking to camp this would be an awesome place to stay.

• Liked — price of room, cleanliness
  • Disliked — in need of updating, lack of heating, small rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lilechodawn

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,169 reviews
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!