“Went tent camping - great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fernwood Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
FL
“Went tent camping - great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

Fernwood is in a great location- easy to find off the beautiful highway drive. We had a really good campsite that sat among the redwoods. We were a little close to the cabins there but I didn't mind.

The bathrooms were very clean (it means a lot of I think this!). It rained the whole time we were camping so I didn't get to go hiking. But the surrounding areas of the campsite were very beautiful.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aarmstr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

I just wanted to say that EVERYONE (even the infamous bartender!) was really friendly to me. I stayed in a tent cabin and since it was a weekday I had a lot of peace and quiet. I can't comment on what the hotel rooms are like. Most of all Wally from the outfitters shop gave me EXCELLENT advice on hiking trails and even how to avoid fees.

The food was okay and affordable, but if you're looking for a really delicious meal there are a lot of other inns/restaurants to check out if you're willing to spend more on food. Definitely try brunch at Detjeen's up the road.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
California USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

We got a room in the motel with a queen and double bed for $135. The room was clean and was average, with no tv. But it is true that traffic noise is a problem. At night, it was fine but early in the morning, the traffic noise woke us up, and by early I mean before 8:00a. The double bed was in 'what could have been a sun-room' room that was an extension of the main building, with 3 exposed walls, all with windows and the 'room' didn't have a heater. I don't know if the heat from the main room would have eventually warmed up the little sun-room but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. It was cold! and I ended up having to share the queen with my friend. If you get one of these during the colder season, I'd recommend bringing extra blankets or clothes to sleep in. Also the walls were terribly thin. You could hear your neighbors' conversations and when they flushed toilet, the filling of the tank sounded like someone was taking a very long leak in your own bathroom. Overall, it was not the quietest place but it was clean and comfortable enough. Not worth $135 though.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

We arrived in Big Sur with no reservations - big mistake, even for the last weekend in September. The Fernwood was the only place on the whole coast with any rooms available (and we checked, having read the Rough Guides on the way there).

The room was clean, comfortable and basic. The bar and restaurant next door, ditto - although there was some great live music on that night which was a draw, and some very cute raccoons in the bin outside.

What could have been better was the service (staffed almost exclusively by clueless teenagers who were far more interested in chatting to friends on the phone rather than manning the cash register or taking orders for food). This is clearly a place for locals rather than visitors - or one that far rather would serve locals than tourists, which is fair enough I guess, but not the friendly welcome we'd come to enjoy in the rest of California.

Food was good - amazing pizzas, shop was well stocked and the breakfast (not included) was cheap and excellent. The bar was well stocked - far more than I was expecting for a backwoods place. Pricey though. I'd recommend on the basis of location and convenience rather than for a fantastic stay, sad really as I had really high hopes for Big Sur which the scenery at least made good on. Next time I'll book Deetjen's.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

The resort...lol... its a motel with a campground and some cabins. It has the food and a bar too but that still does not make it a resort. The sign gave hope to a decent price rate for a room, well for $125.00 per night, you would think that the place would have a nicer exterior. We then hoped for cool quirkiness. Quirky yes, cool no. Food and beverages must be purchased seperately, great server, funny, knew his menu. The bartender al though was narcisstic, and I got the impression we were imposing on his time on the computer. It turns out he was playing chess. The rooms were clean, minus tv's and telephones, but that was ok.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I just did not feel very welcome by the reception staff here both when I checked in and when I left. The rooms are o.k. but there are no TVs which is o.k. in Big Sur. It is in about the middle of Big Sur so if you decide to stay here stay early enough so you do not end up driving in the dark like I did. I didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank LeftFork
Inland Empire, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

I will preface this review by saying that we are Camper's. We are the kind of campers that spend 4, 5 or even 6 days in the middle of nowhere with just our tent and camping gear. We can rough it and LIKE IT!

So with that said:

We came up to Big Sur for Thanksgiving and had a great time. We took in several of the local hiking trails (talk to the guy at the hiking info shop), ate a Thanksgiving Dinner at the Redwood Grill and had the pleasure of experiencing wild turkey's, roosters and deer from our tent cabin. Awesome!

The Tent Cabins are close together and making good with your neighbors does seem to be a wise move however we found that "most" of the people up there seem to have the same idea in mind. Peace and quiet and serenity and relaxation. Overall the neighbors were a non-factor. Highway 1 is close and you can hear the occasional Harley rolling by but again, I found even that really hard to distract me from the beauty and enjoyment of it all.

The kids had a great time playing near (and in, BURR) the water while Mom and I viewed from the always burning campfire. The accommodations were nice as tent cabins go. Big beds with mattress's just comfortable enough to know that you weren't sleeping on the ground. They even had "housekeeping" that came around most days to empty trash for you and sweep out your tent, if you so chose. The coin operated showers are clean and well maintained and were appreciated by us at least every other day.

All of the reviews siting poor service were completely unfounded as far as our visit. The staff was plentiful and very happy to help us right up to our early exit. Well see, it got rather windy and some pretty good size branches were coming down near (and on) our tent cabin. It scared the kids so we left at 9pm Saturday night. Again however, the staff showed their ability to accommodate, even under circumstances beyond their control. They refunded us our final days stay. Bravo to Fernwood! So much so, that we have decided to go back (this time with our trailer) and stay in a campsites for Christmas.

Oh, and "The best trip ever" was the statement made by my wife and kids about 3 days into our stay. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Ventana Inn & Spa
Ventana Inn & Spa
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,165 reviews

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!