“Awful -avoid!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Gorda Springs Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Scotland
“Awful -avoid!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2008

We (family of 4, daughter aged 16 and son aged 14) turned up here last week hoping for a night's accommodation -our booking for Kirk Creek campground had been cancelled because of the fires and we knew that Highway 1 was expected to reopen the following morning so didn't want to go further south. So -in its favour, we found 2 adjoining rooms here above the store. We saw the first, which had a full-size bed annd a roll-out. The room struck us as grubby but it was large and had a fantastic view from the terrace outside,
We had a very poor and incredibly overpriced meal in the restaurant downstairs (though the evening was rescued by watching whales from the terrace) then went upstairs. Then the problems really began! The rollout bed's blanket was dropped in a pile and had clearly not been made up. The bed kept collapsing when we tried to put it up. Finally my 14-year old son got into it -only for it to collapse totally an hour later.
By then there was no-one around though my husband went down to the restaurant -but all he could hear was a loud argument going on so he gave up. He then tried to pull out a sofabed in the room as an alternative: the mechanism jammed completely, he gashed his hand and we had to leave it half-out.

Meanwhile my daughter had discovered a stain and a large hair on the sheets of her bed. The second room (which we had not previously seen) was much smaller and very stuffy. The windows of both rooms were filthy and the carpets heavily stained with no vacuuming under furniture. On the bathroom windowsill in one room was a large dead moth heavily infested by ants. Two of the towels appeared unlaundered.

At about 9.30p.m. an engine noise started underneath our room. We don't know if this was some kind of heating system or a generator but it continued loudly throughout the night.

There are no drink-making facilities or televisions in the rooms. Breakfast is provided separately in the restaurant but we decided not to take it because of the cost of the previous evening's meal (I should add that we'd been travelling around all kinds of tourist destinations for the 3 weeks before this so accepted that a remote location like this might be more expensive -but to give an example, one bottle of beer was $2 more than my husband had paid in a nice restaurant in Cambria the previous evening).

Finally in the morning I went to complain-I was told to go through to the restaurant to speak to the mamager. I explained my particular concern about the bed collapsing with my son in it -fortunately he had not been hurt. I was informed that we had been very lucky to get the rooms for $200 for the two -this is apparently half-price. When I said I expected some reduction I was initially offered $50: when I questioned this he very aggressively shouted at me and walked away. I did finally get a $50 refund on our charge, which I think was really inadequate in the circumstances-but what was really unpleasant was the attitude of the manager and the sense of intimidation. At no point was there any hint of concern or apology.

We stayed in approximately 10 hotels/motels during our stay in California and Arizona and were always struck by the good value of the accommodation, the cleanliness and most of all the friendly and helpful staff we kept meeting. This was a real shock to the system!!

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — attitude of management, dirtiness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank islandscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I stayed there a couple of times. The location and the view is spectacular -- stunning views, ocean, and the mountains. Make sure you get a unit with a terrace and ocean view. The rooms are rustic, but spacious.

The restaurant downstairs (Whale Watchers) is horrible -- bad food and extremely long wait time. Do not eat there -- drive 20 minutes south to Ragged Point instead.

The place is overpriced, but if you want a secluded place with great views in the middle of nowhere, this is not a bad choice.
Good for writers -- sit outside, look at the ocean, and daydream...

If you want a modern place, there is a number of other nicer places in Big Sur for extra $$.

• Liked — Views and terrace!!!
  • Disliked — Room quality, very bad food in the restaurant
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Riverside, CA
Reviewed 3 June 2008

My wife and I were camping to the north in Plaskett Creek when we had some car trouble. I put my family up here while getting towed and repaired. There are no phones in the room. There are no Tv's in the room. There is a payphone but they don't let it ring. If it rings, the staff answers and after much pestering I got them to at least take a message. The folks of Gorda seem like really nice people but they are a little "off" I think from spending their time in this secluded little outpost on HWY 1. It is literally in the middle of nowhere. about 40 minutes north of Cambria and an hour south of Big Sur.

On the plus side, the view of the ocean is incredible and they have regular whale sightings due to the irregular section of the coast on which they sit. It is very deep right next to the cliff so whales come quite close.

It's not a destination, it's a place to stopover. The restaurant is quite expensive and the room was a little over priced.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Big Sur hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed 19 February 2008

The "town" of Gorda, which consists of nothing more than a gas station, a hotel, and a restaurant, is located about 30 mins south of Big Sur, and about 30 mins north of Hearst Castle. The hotel itself is right by Highway 1, which in that particular region follows the coastal line pretty closely. My girlfriend and I stayed at one of their affordable studios (about $130), which are relatively small but stylish and rustic. A big plus was the beautiful view of the ocean from the studios themselves -- something that most Big Sur inns don't have, as they are flanked by the hills that surround Highway 1 further north from Gorda. We were not shooting for anything luxurious -- all we expected was cleanliness and privacy, and we were satisfied with what we got. We had breakfast and dinner at the restaurant, and although the food was a bit pricey, we enjoyed everything we had there. Overall, I definitely recommend the place for families and young couples!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 19 February 2008

Stopped here for no particular reason (getting dark while roadtripping highway 1), and got a room above the general store. Nice fireplace, nice bathtub with jets, and a beautiful view of the ocean. Would probably find a place in Big Sur next time (this is almost an hour south of the "centre" of Big Sur).

Very convenient with a gas station and general store there.

• Liked — view and fireplace
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Monterey
Reviewed 16 January 2008

I stayed at Gorda Springs Resort last weekend.
It was a wonderful expierance.
I stayed in the Palm House.
The innkeeper was very nice and helpful. The General store was great.
The ambiance was so wonderful. Once I stepped foot on the prperty.,, I did not want to leave.
The views and grounds were really special. The lovely farm animals were a real treat.
It is a great place to get away from it all.
The room was rustic, very clean and nice.
I would definetely stay again I just wish I had longer to stay. It truly was a retreat type atmosphere!

• Liked — The views and grouns
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
West Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 November 2007

We stayed in the Redwood Cabin at Gorda Springs. We really enjoyed our stay: quaint, rustic, clean, quiet. Beautiful view of the ocean from the front of the buildings. It was quite a bit over-priced. We spent $200 for one night. My only complaint was that we were cold in the cabin. We were there in November and the heaters were either not working or just weren't effective enough to heat the whole cabin. Overall though, a very nice stay.

• Liked — The view of the ocean.
  • Disliked — The heating was inadequate.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Big Sur
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Gorda Springs Resort? Share your experiences!