Lucia Lodge
US$1,441
US$2,461
US$2,225
TripAdvisor
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
US$635
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cliffcontinental breakfasthoneymoon suitecoffee tablewatch the sunsetlovely dinnerwine glasseswithin milesragged pointbreathtaking viewspeace and quietmonths in advancesan frangeneral storewi ficalifornia coastlong drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I had a great time on our one night at Lucia Lodge on October 25th, 2013. Believe all the other reviewers about the location and the view here. It really is a gorgeous view of the southern Big Sur coast. I would argue that this coastline view is more picturesque then those in the supposed "heart" of Big Sur. We arrived shortly before sunset. It definitely helped that the weather was absolutely clear and warm. We were looking forward to the view and the sunset and neither disappointed. We were able to head up the little path up to the flat spot, which is the designated sunset viewing area about 15 minutes before official sunset time. There were a couple of other couples up there as well getting ready but there was plenty of room for yourself, and even a bench where you can sit. This particular sunset was beautiful, mostly clear with just a few thin clouds. After sunset, we ate at the lodge restaurant, which was terrific, and I've reviewed separately.

We stayed in cabin 9, and I have to admit that having read the Trip Advisor reviews prior to staying here, I had really wanted cabin 10 as the best view was a little concerned about whether the view from cabin 9 would be as good. Well, now that we've stayed here, I have to say it matters very little. I would say the views from any of the last several, let's say at least 7 through 10, would be great. We really liked the room itself. It was very cozy and comfortable. The bed itself was very comfortable. Sure the bathroom is a little small but you're not here to enjoy the bathroom. There is a little gas lit fireplace (which is a functional heater, not really a fireplace, it's used to maintain the temperature as the sole heating source, and I don't think it needed to come on very much if at all). There's a sofa and table you can sit on but of course you're more likely to want to spend time outside enjoying the wonderful view! The restaurant is not directly next to the lodge so you may want to drive or walk a little ways. In addition to the sunset viewing area above the lodge, there's also a little area below the cabins where you can walk down and enjoy a different perspective on the coastline view as well. The little gift shop next to the restaurant is interesting to visit, and they have a little bit of everything. With the lodge being in such a remote location, that's very helpful if you were to run out of something - and I mean even a flash card for your digital camera! The gift shop also has jewelry and other items of interest, give it a look when you're here.

With a comfortable bed, a nice cozy room, a separate cabin (go for the cabins, not the regular rooms) for privacy, a fantastic view, and a great restaurant, you can't go wrong at Lucia Lodge. I would stay here over any of the expensive places further north in the heart of Big Sur any time.

Room Tip: Cabins 7-10, as everyone says, are indeed the ones to go for. But I wouldn't fret over getting cabin 9 if 10 isn't available, etc. They all have such incredible views. We really liked #9.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 6 November 2013

There is one major reason to come to Lucia Lodge and it's a good one. The views are absolutely incredible. Keeping that in mind, there are some downsides.

When checking in I felt we were patronized a bit. Perhaps because we look young (we're in our mid-thirties and thankfully, sometimes still get carded), but the warnings we were given about not damaging the property and no "wild parties" seemed unnecessary to say the least. We were paying $330 for the night. Usually that type of speech is reserved for 17 year olds checking out a $60 motel room for prom.

I digress. The room we had was the most expensive, not by choice, simply because it was the only one available for that night. Book FAR in advance to make sure you get a room. There's only 10 of them.

The room was adequate. The bathroom was tiny and "wasn't designed for a woman on a trip" according to my significant other. There was no full length mirror, no hair dryer and no step in the shower to assist with leg shaving. Duly noted.

The bed was very comfortable. There was a sitting area with a decent amount of room. I don't think there was a TV. There is internet access but we were warned (again with the warnings) that the connection is very unstable and if we were to try and download any large files or videos the whole thing would crash. Fair enough, you don't come to this kind of place to stare at your computer screen anyway.

There is a small convenience store in the main building where you check in and the restaurant attaches. It has some overpriced wine and other things you may have forgotten to bring. I had already bought a bottle outside of Monterey on the way down to Lucia. I don't remember the name but it had a sea otter on the front and wasn't half bad.

The restaurant was okay... I had a local fish dish and the fish was a little dry and bland. I would have gotten the filet mignon but it was $35 and this was the end of a long trip that I had already busted my budget on. If you can manage it, I'd recommend making reservations at another local restaurant (closest one is about 20 minutes away).

The breakfast that is served is continental style. It was okay. However, for the prices paid, it'd be nice to have a hot breakfast included.

All-in-all, this is a decent place to stay, as long as you remember you are paying for the view. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: Book early. Go to a local restaurant rather than at the inn. If you are checking in in the evening, do your best to get there before sunset. The sunset views are stunning.
2  Thank 2bravo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stopped here on a drive up the coast between LA and San Francisco. Wanted to stay in Big Sur. The views are awesome. It's better than any picture. Listening to the surf at night was calming. Theres a path behind the cabins up to the top of a hill to watch the sunset at night that is worth the effort. Just becareful on the trail. Rustic cabins are nice, clean and beds comfortale. The down comforter was a nice touch and the stove kept the cabin warm. Breakfast in the morning was good quality. Restaurant and shop are a short walk and the the food was good with very nice views as well. Spot is remote so going anywhere else for a meal you are driving. Just can not say enough on the spetaculair views.

Room Tip: End cabin (Honeymoon suite) is worth the extra $25 a night
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The location of the cottages is stunning. up on a cliff top where you can sit outside and watch the waves crash into the cliffs below. The bed was comfortable, the cottage was clean and the stove kept it plenty warm enough.

If you go round the back of the cottages and up the hill, a path takes you up a hill from where you can get a brilliant vantage point to watch the sun set.

The evening meal I ate was very enjoyable, as was breakfast.

I hope I get an opportunity to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one of the cottages down the far end (7, 8, 9 or 10) for the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The views are great, the place is clean, period. Rooms are simple (they certainly lack a bit of extra work to make them look nicer). The service is not great. Nobody is rude but they don't move any extra to help you a bit with local info or so. Overall a bit overpriced (since there are nice views all over Big Sur)
The restaurant is plainly terrible. Overpriced, mediocre food and terrible service.

2  Thank regular-traveller25