“Remote. Wonderful. Quirky. Charming.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lucia Lodge

Lucia Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Chicago, Illinois
“Remote. Wonderful. Quirky. Charming.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

The best drive in all of America is Highway 1 between Santa Barbara and Monterey, California. And by far the coolest place to stay is Lucia Lodge in south Big Sur. It is on the ocean side and there is nothing, I mean nothing, on either side but gorgeous sea coast. Great views everywhere and you go to sleep listening to waves crashing and seals barking. Very quirky, very cool. The lodge dining room is good, not great, but not worth driving anywhere else. We loved it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RML1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We did a lot of research and read tons of reviews before deciding to stay here. We weren't expecting 4 star quality, and knew it would be quirky. We fell in love with the view and knew we couldn't beat the price. It's located further south of big sur proper, but maybe a half hour at most. Limekiln is just a few miles south, very close.
The room was nice, not mildewy smelling at all even with it right on the coast. The bed was super comfy, a great nights sleep. The gas heater kept it warm and gave it a cozy feel. The stars were an amazing site at night. No tv so you get to enjoy good conversation and plenty of snuggling ;)
The bathroom was tiny, but we expected it. It was clean, which we appreciated.
The chairs outside of our cabin were great for enjoying the view. Other people go to the vista point for 10 minutes and drive away. Here, you really get to appreciate it and take it all in.
The hotel staff was great. Lady who check us in and ran the shop was sweet and funny. Lady who cleaned did a great job. The breakfast was good for continental, with a great view. You must try the fish and chips. Only served at lunch. We made it an early dinner and brought our own picnic dinner and wine for later. The restaurant and where you check in (and where complimentary coffee tea and hot chocolate is available all day) is located a short walk down pch. I didn't see that listed in any reviews. It didn't really seem very handicapped accessible if that's important to you. In the cabins at least you had to go up a few steps to the cabin and the bathroom is very narrow.
Overall, lucia lodge met all of our expectations. We feel confident about recommending it to our friends and family. We went for our first anniversary and stayed two nights while adventuring along the coast. Definitely the most expensive room on our trip, but big sur demands a special room with a great view. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013
6 Thank Djacmc
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice simple hotel based in a remote location along the PAC Coast highway in Big Sur.
If you want amenities, a pool and 50 channels of movies then go somewhere else. If you are looking for somewhere quirky, comfortable and with a spectacular view then bingo.
We stayed one night and ate at the restaurant which has a limited but nice menu of traditional food. The room was In fact a cabin which had the world's most comfortable bed a gas stove and intermittent wifi. Slept like the dead and woke up at 6 to watch an amazing sunrise. Headed off refreshed at 11am to continue our journey.
Bad bits? Nothing major, no toast for breakfast but that's really about it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bootsy55
Lghthouse Point FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Scary - Restaurant smells like cat pee....did not sleep, did not change clothes, room is on a slant, everything is creepy including the staff, there is a nicer place up the road on rocky cliff just 20 more minutes with serenity and peaceful views....this place is rugged and rough and I felt unsafe

8 Thank Ses2494
OZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent the night in one of the four vintage cabins. I believe these were built in the 1930s and it does not take a lot of imagination to believe you are revisiting that time. Very basic but clean and safe. I could not raise the heat level in the cabin but the comforter was so good it was not needed. Water pressure was strong. The Lodge restaurant was very good both for dinner, vegetable lasagna and for the continental breakfast. The trail to the top up the hill is a must, a bit of a hike but worth it. We split a bottle of wine and watched the sun set.

Room Tip: Do not be in a rush here, relax and enjoy.
4 Thank Autobob
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I had a great time on our one night at Lucia Lodge on October 25th, 2013. Believe all the other reviewers about the location and the view here. It really is a gorgeous view of the southern Big Sur coast. I would argue that this coastline view is more picturesque then those in the supposed "heart" of Big Sur. We arrived shortly before sunset. It definitely helped that the weather was absolutely clear and warm. We were looking forward to the view and the sunset and neither disappointed. We were able to head up the little path up to the flat spot, which is the designated sunset viewing area about 15 minutes before official sunset time. There were a couple of other couples up there as well getting ready but there was plenty of room for yourself, and even a bench where you can sit. This particular sunset was beautiful, mostly clear with just a few thin clouds. After sunset, we ate at the lodge restaurant, which was terrific, and I've reviewed separately.

We stayed in cabin 9, and I have to admit that having read the Trip Advisor reviews prior to staying here, I had really wanted cabin 10 as the best view was a little concerned about whether the view from cabin 9 would be as good. Well, now that we've stayed here, I have to say it matters very little. I would say the views from any of the last several, let's say at least 7 through 10, would be great. We really liked the room itself. It was very cozy and comfortable. The bed itself was very comfortable. Sure the bathroom is a little small but you're not here to enjoy the bathroom. There is a little gas lit fireplace (which is a functional heater, not really a fireplace, it's used to maintain the temperature as the sole heating source, and I don't think it needed to come on very much if at all). There's a sofa and table you can sit on but of course you're more likely to want to spend time outside enjoying the wonderful view! The restaurant is not directly next to the lodge so you may want to drive or walk a little ways. In addition to the sunset viewing area above the lodge, there's also a little area below the cabins where you can walk down and enjoy a different perspective on the coastline view as well. The little gift shop next to the restaurant is interesting to visit, and they have a little bit of everything. With the lodge being in such a remote location, that's very helpful if you were to run out of something - and I mean even a flash card for your digital camera! The gift shop also has jewelry and other items of interest, give it a look when you're here.

With a comfortable bed, a nice cozy room, a separate cabin (go for the cabins, not the regular rooms) for privacy, a fantastic view, and a great restaurant, you can't go wrong at Lucia Lodge. I would stay here over any of the expensive places further north in the heart of Big Sur any time.

Room Tip: Cabins 7-10, as everyone says, are indeed the ones to go for. But I wouldn't fret over getting...
1 Thank Michael P
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

There is one major reason to come to Lucia Lodge and it's a good one. The views are absolutely incredible. Keeping that in mind, there are some downsides.

When checking in I felt we were patronized a bit. Perhaps because we look young (we're in our mid-thirties and thankfully, sometimes still get carded), but the warnings we were given about not damaging the property and no "wild parties" seemed unnecessary to say the least. We were paying $330 for the night. Usually that type of speech is reserved for 17 year olds checking out a $60 motel room for prom.

I digress. The room we had was the most expensive, not by choice, simply because it was the only one available for that night. Book FAR in advance to make sure you get a room. There's only 10 of them.

The room was adequate. The bathroom was tiny and "wasn't designed for a woman on a trip" according to my significant other. There was no full length mirror, no hair dryer and no step in the shower to assist with leg shaving. Duly noted.

The bed was very comfortable. There was a sitting area with a decent amount of room. I don't think there was a TV. There is internet access but we were warned (again with the warnings) that the connection is very unstable and if we were to try and download any large files or videos the whole thing would crash. Fair enough, you don't come to this kind of place to stare at your computer screen anyway.

There is a small convenience store in the main building where you check in and the restaurant attaches. It has some overpriced wine and other things you may have forgotten to bring. I had already bought a bottle outside of Monterey on the way down to Lucia. I don't remember the name but it had a sea otter on the front and wasn't half bad.

The restaurant was okay... I had a local fish dish and the fish was a little dry and bland. I would have gotten the filet mignon but it was $35 and this was the end of a long trip that I had already busted my budget on. If you can manage it, I'd recommend making reservations at another local restaurant (closest one is about 20 minutes away).

The breakfast that is served is continental style. It was okay. However, for the prices paid, it'd be nice to have a hot breakfast included.

All-in-all, this is a decent place to stay, as long as you remember you are paying for the view. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: Book early. Go to a local restaurant rather than at the inn. If you are checking in in the evening...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Post Ranch Inn
Post Ranch Inn
#1 of 8 in Big Sur
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,111 reviews

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!