“Great View, Serene”
Review of Lucia Lodge

Lucia Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed one night. Had a cabin. Rustic but with a fantastic view. Cabin was clean, and comfortable. Stove was a quaint touch. Sat on chairs outside the room and shared a bottle of wine, so peaceful. Little wifi and no phone sporadic phone service makes the place feel truly remote, a plus. Front desk was helpful. Dinner in their restaurant was the only negative. Odd choices we chose a steak as fish choices were frozen and not local. Adequately prepared but weird with walnuts, cherry reduction and blue cheese. Breakfast is adequate and price is right.

Room Tip: Go for the cabins
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lucia Lodge

Reviewed 8 August 2014

From the moment we walked up, I knew booking this place was a mistake. While the location is absolutely amazing (you can see whales from the parking lot), the place is run down, and it shows. If you do stay here, stay in one of the cabins. We had a room that smelled musty and had dead flies all over the window sills. I'm not a hotel snob, but I also like my room clean, especially paying $225 a night. You can also hear everything through the thin walls, from people talking, to others walking to their rooms on the wooden walkway that's right in front of the bed/window. We left a day early and found another place to stay because we knew we didn't want to do a 2nd night there. The staff was accommodating in giving us a refund for the 2nd night. The breakfast is from Costco, which is fine, but just don't expect a true continental breakfast. The closest decent restaurant is 20 miles of winding roads away. We weren't willing to pay $25-$30 a plate at their restaurant based on all of the horrible reviews. Just be prepared if you stay here...book early to get a cabin that actually has room to move around, and plan all of your days before arriving to Big Sur as there is no phone signal and sparse internet.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room - get a cabin, if you actually want to stay here.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jackie F
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My husband & I have been here 3 times in the past 9 months. This is our favorite place to stop while driving down the Pacific Coast Hwy through the Big Sur. Our two prior visits here were just he & I, but this visit included our two kiddos. They don't offer an official kids menu but they can make a grilled cheese (which is killer!) or a half order of fish n chips.
My husband & I usually get the Veggie sandwich w/ pasta salad on the side which are completely awesome. I've also had the pleasure of having their fish n chips. You can't to wrong with either of these choices.
The view is the absolute best you'll ever find. The lodge sits right on the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean. We saw multiple whales breaching in the ocean, while sitting at our table, during this last visit. The kids were amazed, as were we.
The service is good, you seat yourself and someone will come to your table with menus quickly. On occasion they get quite busy and that's when the service lacks a bit but only for the reason that they are busy handling many tables at once. The lodge recently added a deck with outdoor seating & umbrellas as well as an additional bathroom (which was a MUST!) The original bathroom is one stall which serviced the restaurant & store, plus many people traveling down Hwy 1 see it (because it's located outside) and they pull over to use it. So needless to say, it sometimes had a very long line. Plus, it is super old & plain disgusting. It is still in use but if you stop here to eat, use the new one downstairs on the outside deck.
The prices are a bit high but I don't mind paying because 1. You are out in the midst of nowhere 2. The food is very good. 3. The view is to die for.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were intrigued by the cliff side cabins every time we drove past on our way though Big Sur. We finally made the reservation and we're so glad we did!

We had cabin #10, the "Honeymoon" cabin which is, I believe, the original one built in the 1930's and farthest out on the point. This cabin comes with upgraded bedding and a couple of wine glasses as perks. All four of the free standing cabins share the same dramatic view down the coast.

From the highway, you'd think you might be one large step from a plunge down the 300 foot cliff into the ocean. Truth be told, my wife's acrophobia is what kept us away so long. There was no need to worry. There is an 8 foot pathway between the cabins and white picket fence that remarks the beginning of the gentle slope at the top of the cliff. She felt, safe, secure and relaxed the whole time we spent in the cabin or reading and whale spotting in the Adirondack chairs outside.

There's not much to do at the lodge and it is about an hour's drive to either Cambria or Carmel. Since we're frequent visitors to both, we stayed put for all three days and we're glad we did.

The restaurant is very good. Their website is a bit misleading because it says "family style" dining which, to me, conjure up communal tables and passed platters of food prepared to avoid dispensing everyone and not pleasing anyone. It's a family-friendly restaurant with very good execution of a wide variety of dishes and a decent wine list. While there occasionally was a child or two, most of the patrons were traveling couples and small groups.

The general store is adequately stocked with everything from sundries to wine and snacks. You can get a s'mores kit for your campfire or upscale chocolate to go with your wine.

We brought a few bottles of our favorite wines and a set of DVD's to watch on our notebook but spent most of our time watching the water and weather.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 4 August 2014

To celebrate our second honeymoon, we decided to explore California's coastline. There is so much to see and enjoy in the region! Big Sur is majestic and incredible. Tall cliffs overlooking the ocean, sea lions splashing in the water, wildflowers everywhere...it is a remarkable place. The Lucia Lodge is an ideal location to stay when in Big Sur. It is rustic - there is no television, if you happen to notice. It was a terrific chance for us to "unplug" and calm down from a life filled with too much "stuff". The view from the Lucia Lodge is really something to behold. We continue to marvel at how beautiful the world is when we reflect upon our trip. The food at the Inn was pretty good - not a culinary experience to rave about, necessarily, but it was fine. Hearing the crash of the waves and listening to the sounds of nature was so magical (it was...even my macho New Yorker husband would agree it was "magical") that really the food is fine and not the main attraction anyway.

Room Tip: This lodge is small...there are only a few rooms. Our first night we stayed closer to the Pacific Co...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moms2boyz
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stop on our Big Sur drive in June this year. I found this place on the internet, and although a little pricey, the location stood out. Perched on top of the cliffs overlooking the sea, There are 4 lodges built in the 1930's overlooking the cliff, and some other more modern ones. The drive is steep but short. Check in is at the main shop/restaurant, and you can get free hot drinks there whilst the shop is open. We had no: 9 which is next but one to the end of the line, (they are numbered 7-10) all have great views of the sea (when the sea mist isn't around). we had quite a bit of mist but could still see the sea. Inside the cabin was very quaint. Huge comfy bed, a working effective gas fire, plenty of space. My dream was to watch the sunset from one of the deckchairs provided to all cabins. Due to the mist we didn't get a sunset, but I was still able to sit out with my hot drink & enjoy the atmosphere. It was really nice to hear the sound of the sea with the windows open at night.
Restaurant was OK, I smarted at the size of the tip added which I didn't realise til too late, but the food was good. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss in terms of staff being ready, but we managed with no problems, an American guy was having a bit of a fit at the staff for not being ready, but really it was no problem.
Staff were really friendly, the lady on reception was helpful. Great place to stay.
I'd read some of the not so positive reviews which I have to say are unfounded, stay here & make your own decision, I think you'll leave with a smile on your face.

Room Tip: Book cabin 7-10 for a superb view, slightly more money but worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NashJ
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our stay was great, a bit overpriced but you can't beat the views and quaint rooms. Showers will be tiny in all cabins but 5 where we stayed, we had a shower and tub. Our view would have been outstanding with adirondack chairs in front if we stayed in7-10.. I'm pretty sure those rates are higher. Restaurant had AMAZING view of sunset but way overpriced for what you get. $4 for an iced tea and $4 for after dinner coffee. I thought that was crazy. We could have easily eaten in our quaint room or a picnic table outside and saved some cash. Def worth it for views oh, and free coffee in general store! Really nice staff! Super Cali laid back vibe and amazeballs views of ocean and sunset.

Room Tip: Choose rooms 7-10 for best views but you will pay more.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Post Ranch Inn
Post Ranch Inn
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!