“Views and sounds of Highway 1 traffic”
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington
“Views and sounds of Highway 1 traffic”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have never had such a mixed experience at a vacation spot.

Location: As you can see from the photos, Big Sur coast is beautiful. What you can't see however is that Treebones is smack on top of Highway 1, so from nearly all the vista points you have a license-plate-reading view of a very busy highway. A LOT of traffic noise throughout resort.

Atmosphere: Most of the guests were exceptionally quiet and curteous, but one guest stayed up until 11pm playing his guitar and singing. It took the management over an hour to get the man to stop even though the resort has an official quiet hours policy.

Restaurant: Peaceful ambiance and friendly service. Hands down best salad of my life; ingredients were from the resort's garden. However my husband's mashed potatoes were ice cold and the pizza tasted like jam on bread.

I could have rated this place average (three stars) to balance out the pros and the cons, but I give it poor (two stars) because I personally will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Caroline A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I just returned home and I miss it already. Three friends and I shared Yurt 13 (Huge) which as two queen beds plus a futon that makes into a bed. One of the beds has a canvas curtain to create privacy. The beds were incredibly comfortable with lots of blankets to keep you warm. The Yurt was spotlessly clean and had a lovely gas fireplace that gave off a surprising amount of heat. The view was incredible from our deck. The bathrooms were a short walk and were well cared for with ample hot water.

We brought fixings for Kentucky Mules along with some beer, wine and snacks. There is a table and four chairs in the center of the Yurt which was where we played Cards Against Humanity until our sides were splitting with laughter. I don't remember the last time I laughed as much and our apologies if we were loud. We should have invited everyone to join us!

The lodge has a great selection of snacks, wine and best of all Craft Beer! There was not a macro-brewed beer to be found and that made my day. The breakfast in the morning was hearty and plentiful featuring eggs, waffles, yogurt and more. We had dinner in the sushi bar on Saturday night and it was insanely good and in our opinion a good value considering the uniqueness of the setting.

Last but not least, everyone there was so very nice and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. From recommending hiking trails to helping us get reservations for the Esalen Hot Springs in the middle of the night, the service was awesome. Sammy the "Basset Bull" Dog ( a resident at Treebones) was also a highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: Yurt 13 has plenty of space and is excellent for a small group of friends to share
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheArtofBeer
Oakland, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Campsite Review:
We chose to camp instead of sleep in a yurt because there is no stove-cooking permitted in or near yurts. We were pleasantly surprised to have a driver take us and our gear to our site in a golf cart. Campsites 1-2 felt more secluded than sites 3-5 which are closer to the lodge and yurt village. There really isn't a bad camp location, but I liked the short walk from site #2 to the resort's other set of restrooms, especially in the middle of the night.

The campsites are prone to raccoons, so don't leave any food or dish water out in the open. Finally, the campsites have water faucets, picnic tables, trash and recycling bins and a shelving unit to use for counter space and storage. We actually brought two tents and two chairs and had more than enough room for all of it.

Resort Review:
The landscaping is gorgeous!

The complimentary breakfast selection includes Belgian waffles, homemade granola, yogurt, scrambled eggs and toast. All are delightful.

The sushi bar was wonderful. Expect to pay $12-$19 for the rolls and $20 for a bottle of sake.

There are plenty of games and books in the lodge to keep you entertained. There was even an acoustic guitarist who played relaxing music one evening.

Be sure to bring a bathing suit to enjoy the pool and hot tub.

Don't be worried if your yurt/site doesn't have "The Perfect View" because there are plenty of cozy Adirondack chairs throughout.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TropixTrip
Modesto, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed in the Tree-house Cabin and it was wonderful! Beautiful views of the ocean out the window, cute fireplace, comfy bed, cool rope bridge, semi-private... The only thing missing was the toilet! The bathroom was a little walk up the trail. But it was so beautiful & relaxing!

Everyone was really nice, and the food there at their restaurant was SO GOOD! Best filet Mignon I have ever had, honestly! Worth the price!

Room Tip: If you can afford to, the Tree-house Cabin is just wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kari B
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

What a relaxing and beautiful place. Stayed in Yurt 16 which is away from main lodge and loved it. Going to sleep with the distant barking of sea lions was the coolest thing. No cell phone service makes this the perfect getaway.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kladow
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Treebones for one night as we drove from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. I have great things to say about Treebones, however I do feel like one night was enough. The accommodation (the Yurt), especially the bed, was extremely comfortable and very warm. We had a partial ocean view room, and it was a beautiful sight to wake up too. We arrived just after sunset and easily checked into our Yurt. Dinner at the restaurant was nice(but not cheap, as expected). The menu was slightly reduced due to a lack of stock but otherwise it was yum. The noise level at night/in the morning was expected – if you are looking too sleep in for hours, I would suggest you stay somewhere else, because you will be woken up by others. My two “complaints” about Treebones would have to be the shared bathrooms and also the breakfast. I was aware that we would be sharing bathrooms, however, given the price we paid, I would have expected the bathrooms to be cleaner. I am an avid camper, and I was very surprised to see a cleaning schedule that has the bathroom cleaned very two hours in the morning (every 3 after after 8.45am). Not really good enough. When I had my shower, it was extremely quick given the amount of hair (not mine!) covering the drain. Also, the breakfast needs to be attended to more regularly – even in an eco-resort, no wants to be making their breakfast while swiping away flies – especially not inside. But these were minor things that were fairly easily overlooked because it was otherwise a fun stay. Albeit a bit of a “gimmick” I would recommend a night at Treebones.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate R
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments. We have encouraged our housekeeping staff to renew their diligence in the cleaning regimen and sorry you did not find the facilities as clean as we typically aspire to. Please try us again!.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Spectacular location. Ocean View Yurts gave a great view over the Pacific far below.

Quite pricey, however the scarcity value of the location makes it worth it in my opinion, along the entire coastal highway, there are very few other places to stay. No shops (stores!) within miles, so unless you are a fan of high-end sushi, bring some food and drink of your own.

There are lots of great hikes of varying distances on either side along the coast, and the staff gave superb recommendations to us. Some of the places would have been impossible to find without their instructions!

Overall great stay, and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!