Treebones Resort
US$886
US$2,074
US$1,875
TripAdvisor
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
US$484
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssushiorganic gardenpool and hot tubmake your own waffleshuman nestthe main lodgesea lionsocean viewwild coastgranolaunique experiencetree bonesfrittataboth nightsrunning waterbathrooms and showersgas fireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I visited Treebones Resort at the beginning of this year with my partner and our stay was absolutely incredible and unforgettable. I cannot rave about this place enough, it is exactly what Big Sur is about - friendly people and being close to and appreciating nature.

Location: Treebones is tucked away off the highway with a great view from pretty much any region of the resort. It is quite remote, with no reception along with much of the Big Sur area. Being disconnected from everything was our goal, and we were able to get that here. The signage is small like the website indicates, but it isn't impossible to find. Actually, the website's directions are very straightforward and accurate. Try to come before the sun sets, so you don't have to worry about finding the sign in the dark.

Room: We stayed in yurt 16, which is farther from the other yurts, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We were able to lay out by the stars and the weather was so perfect we almost fell asleep out there! But of course, we wanted to experience the actual room. I LOVE the idea of the yurts, it is basic but beautiful. Later in the night we were able to turn on the fireplace to bring in some heat, and it was comfortable the whole night. The yurts are made of a sort of canvas and would sometimes shake with the wind, but it wasn't a bother, I actually enjoyed being able to hear the breeze being so close to the water. Obviously no bathrooms exist in the yurt, but it was a very short walk to the bathrooms (maybe 5 minutes), and the yurt comes with a sink. At night we were able to hear the bark of the seals which was so cool. From the porch of our yurt we were able to watch the sunset, the sunrise, and the moon rise, it was an amazing and calming experience.

Food/Service/Staff: We had lunch and dinner at the Wild Coast restaurant and the food and experience were exceptional both times. The waiter we had for lunch and the waitress we had for dinner were so friendly, we didn't want to leave! During lunch, we really had quite the show because I had spotted some whales in the distance while we ate outside, which was so exciting. So while we were whale-watching and having lunch, the waiter let us have our space but came at the right times to refill our water or ask if we needed anything. I had the Wild Coast burger which was cooked perfectly and the portions were more than satisfying. For dinner, we met the chef, who also was so personable and I could not help but rave to her about how delicious her food was. I ordered a local wine as suggested by the waitress (can't remember the name now) and it was such a good pairing, kudos to our waitress for helping me choose! She also offered to store leftovers in the fridge of the gift shop, which was so kind of her because there is no kind of food storage in the yurts (obviously). The sushi bar did not seem to be open - if it was, it was just that no one was there. When we had checked in, the staff who was the front desk gave us so much helpful information. He told us of Sand Dollar Beach, which wasn't too far from the resort, which is where we ended up going and we were able to find at least 4 sand dollars, which was so exciting for me because I had never collected sand dollars. I wish I could thank the staffer for his hospitality, because he was one of the many factors in what made my stay so wonderful. Breakfast was good, with many healthy options available to us. We were able to have a nice chat with the artist who had performed the night before we checked out. Everyone was so great and everything worked out so perfectly that I really had no complaints at all.

I would suggest Treebones for anyone who is looking for an outdoors experience. I know it's "glamping," but there are campgrounds available for the people that want to rough it. No matter what you do, I guarantee you will have a pleasant, if not extraordinary stay here - from the people to the accommodations to the food, we left with wonderful memories and a burning desire to return. Until next time, Treebones!

Room Tip: Want to be away from everyone? Yurt 15 and 16 is the way to go. There is a treehouse that is off near those yurts as well, you do need to take a bridge to get to it. The Nest looks like it would be fantastic to watch the sunrise or sunsets, but be aware that privacy is not as guaranteed, as you are mostly exposed, and a trail runs behind the Nest to the lodge.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rita B
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share so much information with readers. I am sure others will find it helpful. Glad our Front Desk were able to share the amazing hiking and beach locations near us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were just staying at Treebones for one night which is definitely too short. This place is a great base to stay and start hiking tours at Big Sur!
We stayed in Yurt 16, the most remote one, a really quiet place. The Yurt itself was really cozy with a really good bed and warm duvets. There's a small furnace which will help keeping yourself warm during the chilling nights at the coast as well.
Bathrooms are to share but kept clean and well equipped, so no problem at all (after all, it's glamping here...). The property is just amazing with the view over the coast and the scattered Yurts and single camping places for people who bring their own tent.
Breakfast is really good (don't miss to bake your own waffles there!) and even more so is the Sushi restaurant (only about 8 seats, first come fist serve so make sure you get a seat). We didn't try the other restaurant but the menu promises nice food as well.
There's also a small shop where you can get everything from sweets and chips over really good wines to warm clothing (you should bring these, it get's cold here) and camping equipment.
Staff is really friendly and helpful.
No question: absolutely worth a stay!

1  Thank flying_texter
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here for two nights in a yurt in early June. We found Treebones in the New York Times and were really looking forward to our stay here! I wish I had gotten the young man's name at check-in. We arrived just before the restaurant was closing due to complications and could not have received a more unwelcoming welcome! I travel frequently, have worked in the customer service business, and am from one of the most well-mannered cities in the country.....so I understand the value of that first impression and have do high expectations for how guests are treated! We were also met with attitude from the same gentleman when we returned in the morning for help with where to fill a camelback and getting advice on hikes in the area. While it may have seemed like a silly question to him, we were guests at his inn! It left a sour taste in our minds about our stay at Treebones!

6  Thank charlestonmo

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you experienced something less than helpful and welcoming on your arrival. We reviewed your comments with our team and appreciate the input.. While we strive to always put our best foot forward on behalf of our guests, sometimes unmitigated personal factors can affect how we come across, as was the case in this instance. As an owner, i can proudly say all of our staff have tour guests best interests in mind and i apologize for this instance..

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I traveled to Treebones as a stop during our 10 day California trip and we could not have been more impressed!

We stayed in yurt 16 and were very comfortable. Yurt 15&16 are away from the yurt "village" and are a little more private. Obviously, they are further away from the lodge, pool, restaurant, etc, but this was not a bother as there is a separate bathroom in this area.

Treebones is a special place. They have an organic garden that is almost magical. There are apple, lemon, pear, cherry, avocado trees. If you like fresh kale, this is your spot! They have rows and rows of kale, chard, and lettuces used in many dishes in the restaurant.The staff is wonderfully welcoming, but not in a cheesy way. They are proud of where they work and want to educate you (thanks Meg!).

Treebones is truly self sustaining. They have their own water, use propane for a heat and as an electricity source. The grounds are impeccable. The yurts are cozy. The beds are comfortable. We appreciated the small touches in the room like the wine opener, glass wine glasses, heavy blanket, and towels. I would recommend bringing makeup remover as they try to keep towels very clean so harsh chemicals are not needed (we appreciated this). They also provide a list of local hikes and are happy to help give info. Games are available for use in the lodge. We enjoyed playing dominoes. The pool and hot tub are a nice touch. We enjoyed soaking after a long hike. The pool is a bit small for lap swimming, but I'm sure you're not coming for that! I was able to get in a nice swim.

We chose to eat at Wild Coast restaurant our first night and the Sushi Bar the second. Both were delicious. Order a dish with vegetables from the garden, you won't be disappointed! They had local wine choices by the glass and by the bottle. The sushi bar was a fun experience! We are not new to sushi and this was fabulous. Sushi Chef, Sarah makes sushi rolls that are unique and delicious. It's a fun and lively atmosphere. Treebones provides breakfast each day for over night guests. This consisted of waffles, fresh scrambled eggs, homemade granola (I need this recipe!), organic yogurt, homemade peach and berry jam, toast, fruit, coffee, and orange juice. We enjoyed this both days. Thanks Treebones for a fabulous and healthy breakfast!

Fabulous place! Fabulous people! I would stay again and again, just maybe for 5 or 6 days next time.

2  Thank L0la326
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We camped at Tree Bones over New Years in 2013. The views from the camp sites are spectacular!!! If you stay there during the fall you will see numerous whales swimming by when you sit at your camp.

The main area is a circular building, shaped like a large yurt, that is warm and inviting. The views from the back deck are fantastic. You can bring your own wine to the common area and sit watching the sunset. We played cards there a few times and really enjoyed the feel. The only downside is that many people bring their kids. The area can be loud. We did not mind, but if you're looking for a quiet retreat the common area may not be it.

Food at dinner and lunch is great. The main restaurant does farm fresh food and has great wine. There is also a side sushi bar. If you want to eat at the sushi bar make reservations early. It fills up fast. The sushi there was great and reasonably priced. They had a bunch of interesting roles. I was skeptical of the signature roles at first but was impressed at how the flavors worked together. The bar back at the sushi bar gave us free drinks too, which was awesome:)

The only negative that I could come up with is the breakfast, which is so so. Breakfast is included, so at least you don't pay for it. They serve camp style food, which means rehydrated eggs and concentrated OJ. Definitely edible. They just clearly serve breakfast on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CGO83

Thank you for your review. Glad to see you mentioned our on sight organic garden!