“Unique lodging in a breathtaking venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Unique lodging in a breathtaking venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at Treebones and, overall, we were pleased with the accommodations. The lodgings, 16 yurts, which are semi-permanent tents with lots of creature comforts like pine floors, sink with hot and cold water, gas stove, comfy queen bed, electricity, are very unique and perfectly suited to the land they're on. They are truly "perched" along the water's edge.

Complementing the yurts, is a beautiful centrally located lodge with lots of space for sitting, complimentary games and books to borrow, a pool, a hot tub and a redwood bar overlooking the ocean. It's truly an idyllic spot and a wonderful place to relax. The owners and front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Also, because restaurant choices in the area are limited, we ate at Treebones both nights we were there (breakfast is complimentary and dinner is extra). The food was reasonably priced (for the area) and surprisingly delicious and satisfying. Service was quick and friendly. There's also a small store in the lodge where gifts and various sundries are sold. The prices aren't cheap, but not wildly expensive either.

For the pros of Treebones -- great location in a breathtaking spot, helpful and knowledgeable owners and staff, very unique and relaxing locale, lower priced lodgings in what is a very expensive area, very peaceful.

For the cons of Treebones -- no private baths, potential for noisiness since the yurts are glorified tents with very little insulation, parking setup is a bit weird (it's removed from the yurts and your luggage is moved via golf cart), very dark at night (they do provide flashlights), yurts are chilly at night and very warm during the day.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, but I'm not 100% sure I'd return. I thought the prices were very high for what you actually got, though much cheaper than other area lodgings. I think if I were to return, I'd just rent a campsite rather than a yurt. It's much cheaper and you still have use of Treebones' facilities. While the shared bath was conveniently located, the women's showers were really awful in my opinion. They were cramped, dark and the dividers between the showers weren't completely opaque, so you could somewhat see your neighbor in the dressing area, which I thought was weird and I didn't really like. So much care went into the design of every other aspect of Treebones, I'm not really sure why they fell so short in the design of the showers.

We stayed in Yurt 7 which was panned in some other reviews, but we loved it. It's definitely ocean view, very large and it was quiet for us. I've included a photo of the view with this review.

• Liked — Incredible location and setting
  • Disliked — Women's shared showers
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nigoleta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Santa Cruz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful weekend at Treebones. The yurts are well-designed, the staff helpful and friendly, and our dinner was excellent. Treebones has fabulous views of the Big Sur Coast. At night, it was so clear and still we could see the Milky Way spilling across the sky. Be sure to watch for condors over Highway 1, especially north of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. We saw 15 condors flying overhead.

Stayed May 2007
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

We stayed at Treebones for two nights in mid-April. It's certainly a very mellow, relaxed, attractive place, that was designed with a lot of thought and creativity. I read the newspaper stories that they've posted in the lodge, and it's clear that the owners deserve a lot of credit for pursuing their vision--if I remember right, it apparently took 20 years to make Treebones a reality.

We had yurt 8 which was great from our perspective, as it had a wonderful full ocean view, but was a relatively short, level walk to the lodge. All the good things that reviewers have said--the attractive spacious yurts, the comfortable beds, the gas fireplace, nice showers--we agreed with, as well as some of the bad, the 60 minute timeout on the fireplace and a loud neighbor being the worst. We did have bad luck with the weather, as the best feature of our yurt, the oceanview porch, was impossible to enjoy, as our first day was too windy and the second too cold and rainy.

Ultimately, though, there was just something missing, and I think for my husband and me, it was just too contrived and artificial, paying almost $200 a night for upscale camping. Maybe, if we're going to be somewhat uncomfortable anyway, we prefer a place with more history and charm, like Big Sur Inn.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank traveler07Usa
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2007

I have not stayed at Treebones but please be aware if you wish to amend or cancel a booking at Treebones. I booked 2 yurts for my family for 2 nights in July and then unfortunately had to cancel. The cancellation policy is that $35 per yurt will be charged. I cancelled over 2 months before the reservation date. It does not make it clear on the website that it is $35 per yurt. I think the charge should relate to the reservation and not the number of yurts. I asked for $35 to be refunded to me but to no avail.

Stayed May 2007
12 Thank elphin
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2007

Treebones was almost perfect. Unbeatable ocean view, interesting yurt, homey services, comfy bed, relaxing environment, nice porch. Toilet/shower was a short walk away near the main building, which was the only negative of the hotel. Home style dinner was decent. The main building offered dining area and complementary wi-fi internet access.

We had Yurt #10 which was great except that its porch had full sun exposure and was too hot to use it during the day time, which would be perfect for people who enjoy sun bathing.

The hotel price was reasonable and provided good value. Although Post Ranch Inn had closer water view and better amenity, it costs 5 times more. Ventana Inn has a beautiful ocean-view restaurant and lunch is better than the Post Ranch. Surrounding big sur area offered many activities.

• Liked — View & value
  • Disliked — Toilet is not in the room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank MindWideOpen
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2007

Big Sur is one of my favorite places to visit. I have camped there previously, but this trip was of a different tone, so I was quite pleased when I stumbled acrosss all the great reviews for Treebones. It's not exactly in Big Sur though. It's actually just outside of Gorda, about 12 miles south of Big Sur.

They have recently changed their policy to a 2 night minimum. I found an *orphan* single night on their website calendar, and phoned to see if I could have it. They were quite friendly and it was not a problem at all.

We had yurt #7 which is billed as partial ocean view. It was at the very top of the property and only had 2 neighbors so it was very quiet. The yurt was very spacious feeling and light. Durning the day, the yurt was quite warm but at night it got fairly chilly. There was a heater, but you can only set the timer for a maximum of 60 minutes.

You are provided with towels and washcloths. The showers are a shortish walk away, and the only real drawback to the property. They are standard camping grade showers. The main lodge bathroom had 3 showers on the womens side, one of which was wheelchair accessible, but they were small and did not provide the extra bit of comfort that I expected from a $200/night property. My boyfriend reported the same experience from the men's side.

The menu the night we were there offered roast turkey, baked salmon and one other dish that I can't recall. It was about $20 per meal and came with a salad and cornbread stuffing. Bottles of wine were available for purchase as was dessert. The food was quite nice and the servings were generous. The waffles offered at breakfast were delicious and coffee, tea, OJ and apples were also available.

Overall, it was quite a pleasant stay though I am not sure I would repeat the visit.

• Liked — unusual
  • Disliked — showers
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CA_expat
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2007

Treebones Resort is nestled in the cliffs along the bluffs of Big Sur.
I was absolutely surprised by the uniqueness of the entire experience. The yurts were like new,and I was amazed at how big they felt. At night, my husband and I would watch the stars from the skylight and during the day, we enjoyed the panoramic view of the ocean. The happy hour sunsets followed by a jacuzzi before dinner made for a perfect evening. The food was good and the beer and wine selection were an excellent extra. The staff were friendly and met all of our needs. I would highly recommend this vacation spot to anyone who wants an experience to remember. Thank you Treebones Resort!

1 Thank California65
#1 of 3 in El Portal
Two Harbors Campground
Two Harbors Campground
#1 of 1 in Two Harbors

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!