“Beautiful Family Place”

Riverside Campground and Cabins
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We hit the jackpot with Riverside Campground! The staff couldn't have been more sweet or helpful. The location was ideal. Our little cabin was a clean, peaceful, charming place. The camp store had everything we needed and there was a great restaurant close by. I went with my husband and 2 boys, ages 7 & 4 1/2, and we had a blast. We rented Cabin #1 and it was beautifully kept. My boys called it "The Three Bears House". We used the fire pit outside to roast marshmellows. In the morning we hiked along the river down to the restaurant for a lovely breakfast. It was idyllic and my kids loved splashing and tubing in the river. There were lots of nice families there doing the same thing so there was lots of kids to play with. True - you are not "alone" in the middle of wilderness at this campground but it was certainly smaller and less crowded than the camp site next door. We can't wait to go back! A magical memory for our kids and us.

Room Tip: There are campsites for tents and places for RV's - we loved the "luxury" camping cabi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lmr925

Reviewed 15 August 2012

A very beautiful place. I had a site on the river under big redwood trees. I was a very quiet and the people were very nice. The sites are very close together so when it was bedtime, I had to listen to someone snore all night long, very annoying. The restrooms were clean and for .25 cents a hot shower. A great place to dip your feet in the river and watch the kids have fun.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CampingMa
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Really enjoyed my stay here, beautiful location and wonderful helpful staff. Pam made it so easy and helped out with really good advice on the local area. Cabin was lovely and clean, lots of room. Great camp atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Mandifree
Reviewed 21 July 2012

for $45 a night with electric and water, across from the river in a quiet, clean campground with pleasant staff, beautiful redwoods.....really can't beat it. If we find ourselves in the area again I would re-book here.

I read the other reviews about the cabins, and although I didn't stay inside one of them, I personally wouldn't pay $170-$180 a night to have a cabin without a private bathroom. I thought that was really odd, but then, maybe it's just Big Sur pricing.

Lots of kids, lots of people river-tubing and it was only 60 degrees Farenheit. Brrrrrr!

We didn't have a problem with critters, but we have critter=repellent that we sprinkle around our campsite that is excellent at keeping them away. I guess it smells like predator urine, but people can't smell it.

Room Tip: try to get one with a private bathroom if you're going to be in a cabin.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Campground Review (1night stay): This is a truly lovely location. Smack dab in the middle of a thick forest with a nice shallow river running right next to it (perfect to wade or play in). As one would expect in a private campground in Big Sur the campsites are very close to each other. I prefer camping in a more natural private spot but everyone around was very friendly and it seemed like a very family oriented environment. There are showers and flush toilets. One thing that was a bit off putting was there was a note on the women's bathroom by the host/management about how to dispose of hygiene products. Instead of simply asking women to dispose of them in the trash, they wrote a note that talked to women as if they were children stating "we" had angered someone with past actions. Very disrespectful in my opinion but overall not that big a deal. Anyway, lovely spot as long as you don't mind getting to know your neighbors!

Room Tip: Try to find a corner campground spot for more privacy!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AZ3
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Don't get me wrong, the campground is lovely however we traveled almost 200 miles to there and the camp host ruined our family vacation, by acting like an idiot. Our family has camped all of our lives and we are very respectful to others around us but when she came to our camp fire and was acting as if we were completely disobeying the camp rules we were all in shock. My daughter’s boyfriend, (he is the quietest guy I know) happened to get her wrath he was actually whispering when speaking to her and she was yelling at him not to talk so loud???? The motor home next to us was softly playing some jazz music everything was very mellow and quiet (the guy next to us had a deep voice so it did carry but not terribly) and we had been talking at our camp fire she said," it needs to be library quiet out here or you can leave" Really??? I will never set foot there again, ever and unless they get someone other than "Pam" to host the camp you shouldn't either unless you plan to be in your bed at 10pm.

Room Tip: We were camp 27, don't get 28 or your view is of 2 large dumpsters, lovely!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tracee K
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Nice quiet spot amongst the redwoods, a short distance removed from the road. Take time to understand the features of cabin you choose. No 2 are alike. More rustic than some other cabin sites along the river but well priced in comparison. Very cheerful helpful staff. Onsite convenience store, but quite limited. But that seems to be true of any grocery in the immediate area: if you want fresh veg's and fruits, bring you own. We disliked the prevalance of campefire smoke in the evenings but that is not the fault of the facility. I think that is a problem in the entire area beacuse there are so many people camping.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#1 of 8 in Big Sur
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort

Been to Riverside Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!