“Great place for gods and dogs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Riverside Campground and Cabins
British Columbia, Canada
“Great place for gods and dogs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 days on a big weekend and loved the site, there were kids and dogs in all the sites the river was safe for kids and the site is well managed, firewood is available on site with a small shop, there is some noise from the road but not a problem, could be dark in the trees.

Room Tip: Book early especially weekends
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

We had a great 2 nights at Riverside we stayed in Cabin 5 which is on the 2nd floor (us speak) has windows all round the edge so you get lots of lights and can take in the redwoods. It also has a little table for breakfast/card playing.

The camp owners/caretakers were fantastic really friendly and helpful you also get the use of a fire pit so you can cook your dinner over an open fire a real treat.

Its fairly central in Big Sur so you can go to most of the good hikes and beaches in a short drive.
Pheifer beach is a must.

The cabins are a nice distance apart though cabin 5 is in the same building as I think 4 others however I didn't hear any noise through the walls apart from some faint snoring... We didn't have an ensuite but the bathroom facilities are just up the hill and the showers are of good quality.
There is also a small store which has most of the stuff you will need if not there are a few others along the highway.

In short had a great stay and would definitely come back if I am in Big Sur again

Room Tip: Cabin 5 is very spacious and has a great aspect
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james j
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I'm going to preface this review by saying the site itself is quite nice and the owners/managers were reasonable and as helpful as can be expected.

The reason for my two star review is because we were given NO indication that cabins 3, 4, 5 and 6 have little more than plywood for walls. We were told there was no firepit and a shared balcony. No problem. If they had told me you can hear every noise your neighbor makes in Cabin 3, I would have gladly paid more to be in a separate, detached cabin.

If someone is talking at a normal voice in the room next door, however, it sounds like they're using a megaphone. Also, people left their dogs locked up in the cabin, and the dogs barked from about 6-7:30 am before the owners opened up the cabin, took the dog out, and kicked the people out when they returned.

If you're a light sleeper, DO NOT stay in cabins 3, 4, 5 or 6. Choose a different cabin, or a different site all together.

Management needs to write a very explicit disclaimer about how thin the walls are, and the likelihood of your sleep being disturbed if you're not a heavy sleeper.

Room Tip: Avoid cabin 3, 4, 5, and 6.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foam4Daze

Travellers are raving about these Big Sur hotels

New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We hit the jackpot with Riverside Campground! The staff couldn't have been more sweet or helpful. The location was ideal. Our little cabin was a clean, peaceful, charming place. The camp store had everything we needed and there was a great restaurant close by. I went with my husband and 2 boys, ages 7 & 4 1/2, and we had a blast. We rented Cabin #1 and it was beautifully kept. My boys called it "The Three Bears House". We used the fire pit outside to roast marshmellows. In the morning we hiked along the river down to the restaurant for a lovely breakfast. It was idyllic and my kids loved splashing and tubing in the river. There were lots of nice families there doing the same thing so there was lots of kids to play with. True - you are not "alone" in the middle of wilderness at this campground but it was certainly smaller and less crowded than the camp site next door. We can't wait to go back! A magical memory for our kids and us.

Room Tip: There are campsites for tents and places for RV's - we loved the "luxury" camping cabi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lmr925
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

A very beautiful place. I had a site on the river under big redwood trees. I was a very quiet and the people were very nice. The sites are very close together so when it was bedtime, I had to listen to someone snore all night long, very annoying. The restrooms were clean and for .25 cents a hot shower. A great place to dip your feet in the river and watch the kids have fun.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CampingMa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Really enjoyed my stay here, beautiful location and wonderful helpful staff. Pam made it so easy and helped out with really good advice on the local area. Cabin was lovely and clean, lots of room. Great camp atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Mandifree
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

for $45 a night with electric and water, across from the river in a quiet, clean campground with pleasant staff, beautiful redwoods.....really can't beat it. If we find ourselves in the area again I would re-book here.

I read the other reviews about the cabins, and although I didn't stay inside one of them, I personally wouldn't pay $170-$180 a night to have a cabin without a private bathroom. I thought that was really odd, but then, maybe it's just Big Sur pricing.

Lots of kids, lots of people river-tubing and it was only 60 degrees Farenheit. Brrrrrr!

We didn't have a problem with critters, but we have critter=repellent that we sprinkle around our campsite that is excellent at keeping them away. I guess it smells like predator urine, but people can't smell it.

Room Tip: try to get one with a private bathroom if you're going to be in a cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Ventana Inn & Spa
Ventana Inn & Spa
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,168 reviews

Been to Riverside Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!