Riverside Campground and Cabins
US$886
US$2,074
US$1,875
TripAdvisor
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
US$505
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscamp storefire pitthe riverzig zagone nightcamp groundcomfortable cabinpfeiffer state parkan adventureroad tripmcway fallscalifornia coastbig sur campgroundstayed longerpamcampingtent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Given the prices you find in the area, I thought that Cabin #3 was a great deal. The room was comfortable but had a cool rustic feel. The location was super convenient to some really great restaurants, hiking and beaches. And best of all, Pam gave us such great information on where to go. She helped us find one good dinner at a reasonable price, one really great dinner when we wanted to go fancier and when we asked where we should watch the sun set, she gave us detailed directions to Pfeiffer Beach where we saw the most amazing sunset. Plus, she let us use a fire pit by the river since no one was camping there and when we couldn't get the fire lit, she came over and spent a good ten minutes to get us going without us even having to ask. Not sure if folks were expecting total silence in back woods, but I was glad to have a convenient location at a reasonable price. I definitely didn't experience any noise that bothered me in the room. This was the perfect base for seeing Big Sur!

1  Thank FinnInNYC
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed in Cabin #8 this week. The cabin is very clean and the bedding was nice. The bed itself is very firm and bouncy, so my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds. The campgrounds are nice, though it was raining when we arrived, so everything was wet, muddy, and cold the whole time. Overpriced and the dog fee was $20 a day, but being the only place I could find that accepted pets, I had no choice.

The bath house was not heated and was pretty gross. Two small, dank, prison showers were very icky. Oh, and you have to pay for those with quarters (surprise!)

The central area of Big Sur itself was a huge let down. There is so much hype and I just didn't get it. Just because something is expensive (and everything is) doesn't make it more special. Pfieffer beach was great, but small and cost $5. We missed the one lighthouse tour that day, bummer. Big Sur bakery, umm, it was okay. Best food was the River Inn Restaurant.

I had been to Carmel, Monterrrey, and San Luis Obispo before, so I thought there would be something to discover in the heart of Big Sur. What a disappointment and waste of money. I think the poor weather had a lot to do with it, but geez, everywhere was freezing, there was no escaping the cold except to sit in the cabin.

Room Tip: The best camp spots would be 43 and 44, which are separated and have a lot of space in the upper area of the campground (which is very small in total). I would keep this a secret, but we won't be back, so enjoy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I must admit we only live up the coast in Monterey. So we use Riverside Cabins as a night get away. We don't go on weekends and or holidays either but, we love going durning the winter when it's super quite and peaceful.

We always stay in cabin 2. It has 2 queens, it's own bathroom, fire pit, and porch. It's not cheap but, the sounds of nature are worth it to us.

We also bring our dog. He lives it too. Be sure to gather everything you need befor getting to Big Sur as you will pay double. Firewood, hot dogs, etc.... We always make sure we bring games to play to. It's so refreshing to sit fireside and play Jenga!!!

Staff hear is wonderful and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Surfkelly
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We camped at Riverside for a long weekend in the end of October. We had a beautiful large site near the end of the grounds that was right on the river. The place in general is lovely and our site was great. The rest of the camping area felt quite crowded, and when you would walk to the bathroom, it looked more like a parking lot than a campground. The nice tree canopy kept the place a little smoky, but everything was well kept and clean. We are interested in checking out the cabins.

Room Tip: Definitely get a site ON the river. On the website map, site #18 looks like it's not right on the river, but it is and if you want to be a little further away, it seemed to be the best one in the house. The sites labelled "small" on the map are indeed small.
2  Thank Donna C
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 days on a big weekend and loved the site, there were kids and dogs in all the sites the river was safe for kids and the site is well managed, firewood is available on site with a small shop, there is some noise from the road but not a problem, could be dark in the trees.

Room Tip: Book early especially weekends