“Has potential but falls short”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Riverside Campground and Cabins
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Stayed at the Riverside Campground recently for two days with friends. The campground itself is really beautiful with a pretty river and redwood trees all around but the campsite situation is poor.

The sites are far too close to one another and the no-noise policy is ridiculously strict... don't even think of speaking (library voices included) after 10PM or you will be harassed by a scary man in a bathrobe. We forgot a blanket in the car and were harassed for opening a car door as well. As if this wasn't enough, tent camping for two days cost us over $100... no joke! You would be better off in one of the state parks (which we would have stayed in had they not been closed due to fires) or the nearby Fernwood which are both half the price and twice the fun.

I really wanted to like Riverside, too. Big Sur is far too beautiful a place to spend in a crammed campground with stuffy neighbors. There are lots of better options.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 October 2007

We stayed at the Riverside with two other families so we were in two cabins while one group camped by the river. It was a great experience. The kids loved playing on the sandy beach and in the river, the adults relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful environment. We did a little cooking on the firepit (hot dogs and s'mores), but also walked to a nearby restaurant for meals. Our cabins were rustic knotty pine, but very comfortable and clean. We had a great time and plan to return next summer.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Betsy326
Reviewed 5 September 2007

They boast a AAA rating yet offer no discount. Expensive RV site ($50) and no internet. The spots were very close together and very difficult to get into with a 32" 5th wheel. The "river" is more of a creek, but still fun to play in! That being said, our kids (9 and 14) did have a good time playing with the other kids, and that was very important. We just feel that we can get a better deal and have just as much fun somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Marlena B
Reviewed 16 July 2007

We have been visiting this campground annually for 15 years with 5 other families. For some of us this is the only time we see each other and we all look forward to a long weekend in Big Sur at the Riverside Campgrounds. The main reasons we choose this property are 1) you can reserve specific sites - important so we can all camp together since we arrive from various regions of CA. 2) direct access to the river. We camp on the river and the kids, who are now young adults/teens, can take tubes down the river with ease. The campsites have gotten smaller and more numerous as this campground has changed hands. It is NOT remote camping! If we weren't surrounded by camping friends we would not choose this place. the bathrooms have not been great lately in terms of upkeep either, but this changes year to year. All in all we like it because of the fact we can all camp near each other and we make reservations upon leaving for the following summer.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank mebber
Reviewed 3 August 2006

Okay, so when I first booked a cabin at the Riverside Campground and Cabins I was a little bit upset that our cabin would cost $150 per night, plus tax, plus $15 a night for my 5 lb Pomeranian. Of course we had to get the most expensive cabin because we booked two days before our trip and it was the only one left. When I actually got there I was a little bit upset because I expected more out of a cabin that was the price of a hotel room. And the worst part, our expensive cabin lacked a firepit! What's camping without a firepit! But after a two-night stay I really grew to love the campgrounds, cabin, and of course the beautiful scenery and ambience of the Big Sur forest and coastline.

The front office guy was very helpful and allowed us to use a vacant campsite's firepit for the two nights. Oh, if you get a cabin and you really want your own firepit, don't stay in cabins 10 or 11 because they are the only two without one, and ironically the most expensive ones. We could've moved to cabin 9 which had a firepit and was cheaper, but had no private bathroom or shower!

I don't have the usual complaints of other campers at this site such as crowds, loud people, and kids because we had the luxury of our own cabin, deck, bathroom, shower, and kitchen. That's what we paid the big bucks for! The cabin was clean and quaint. The water pressure and hot shower was welcomed in the cold Big Sur morning. So all in all it was a good trip. I was looking to go camping but not to rough it. So a cabin in the woods was perfect!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Enrilynne
Reviewed 27 August 2005

Holy Moly! No room to yourself. It took my wife all of 30 seconds to comment on how this was,'not what she expected'. Campground was packed and we were there on a weekday. We have a 6yr old who loved all the other kids running around, but I had enough of the drinking and RV motors. This is not for campers who like to rough if. There is water, electric, picnic tables, and firerings and everysite. And every site is right next to each other. This will suit anyone who wants to be outdoors but still wants to shower daily and feel safe and secure. Only wild life around were the screaming kids (having fun of course), a few bats at dusk, dogs galore-from the other campers-supposed to be on a leash at all times and never are. The one next to us snapped at my daughter, and one curious racoon. Big Sur campground boasting 3 times the sites had better, bigger trees but same atmosphere. I would recommend this to anyone traveling with kids and you don't care what they do. River is more of a creek and rarely over 18inches deep. General store 1/4 mi. up the street, firewood on site for $7. The cabins seemed nice for about $75/night. Get gas before you hit the mountains...$4 per gallon!!

• Stayed: August 2005
12  Thank bhittle
A TripAdvisor Member
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 31 July 2005

Boy do they cram in folks at the Riverside Campgrounds & Cabins. My friend and I paid $79/night for the cabin atop which a family rented the other cabin and let their kids stomp around all night. Nary twenty feet from our front door was a campsite with a family lighting their fire, cooking their meal, etc. Noise until 10 - mostly from kids running around and shouting (exhilirating in their wilderness).

This was not a get-away from it all in Big Sur - the Riverside allows too many people in. Their bathrooms are .25 cents per shower and the faucet hung limp so I couldn't adjust the temp - scalding to freezing - but not remaining warm.

Perhaps I need to up my dollar spending in order to find the peace and quiet I'm looking for in Big Sur.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Riverside Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!