“Get a good spot, be quiet, and you'll be fine”

Riverside Campground and Cabins
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were lucky to get two good sites on the riverside towards the end of the road and it was beautiful. Sound of the river as you slept, pine trees towering above you, it was serene. There's a spot on the very end that seemed like the ideal spot in the whole campground, try to get it.

But the lady running the place when we got there was not very pleasant to deal with. When we first got there, we asked her where a good place to explore around the campground for an hour or so was. From just her response to this simple question, I could already tell I should avoid her. But the next night we came back from dinner at Nepenthe around 10, with all the other campsites around us still sitting around the campfire, hanging out and laughing. About 15 minutes after we arrived, she walks to our site and asks us to quiet down and whisper only while talking. Fair enough, we may have been a little louder than she liked, even though everyone around us was still up. About 20 minutes later, she comes pacing over and proceeds to yell at us about how loud were being (we were being VERY quiet), how we disrespected her, and how generally rude we were as people. She continued to yell at us while we promised to be respectful until she got her fill and finally left. And as she walked back to her trailer thing, we couldn't help but notice all the other talking campsites she decided not to yell at. Didn't seem fair, but she probably chose to pick on us since we were the youngest group in the park. The lady in the store is VERY nice though.

Nice campground, but I expect I'll enjoy my reservation at Julia Burns State Park campground a lot more.

Room Tip: Get the secluded spot on the far end away from the entrance!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed in Cabin 7. This was not a cabin, but a room below the supply room, next door to the night manage,r and next to a trailer that is a permanent residence. It did not feel like a cabin experience. We felt like we were in someone else's backyard with a view of their year's supply of soaps displayed in the window and a view of cars and trucks that were parked in the campsites, and also we had a nice view of a trailer that an employee lives in with their dogyard outside. They didn't do much to make the views from this cabin/room very peaceful or beautiful. Why do $50 campsites have a better view of the river than the $200 "cabin/rooms?" I felt like we could do better.

The site next door, the BIg Sur Cabins/Campgrounds got it right. We took a walk through and felt like we should have stayed there instead. The cabins had views of trees or the river, many had private porches, and the cars were not crowded together by the campsites as they were at Riverside.

Everyone at Riverside was nice, but they failed to tell us about the free wi fi when we checked in. On the third day, I saw the cleaning lady on wi fi and she told me about it. Also, the staff seemed put off when we asked if anyone was going to clean our room as it was 3pm and nobody had done that yet. I felt that for the price, we shouldn't have to ask. They explained that the cleaning person was working alone and would get to it later as they were short staffed. I felt bad, then realized that I paid a lot to stay there, I should not feel bad about their short handed staff. They should have just hired someone else for that day to help her out.

On a positive note, the bed was very clean and comfy, the river had a nice place for kids to play, and the night manager was very friendly which I appreciate because we were using her front yard as our campfire (that's where the fire pit is).

Would I go there again? No, it's Big Sur and there are so many beautiful peaceful places to stay. Why settle for less?

Room Tip: If you do stay here, there are a few cabins that are up the hill that do have a private porch area a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank va d
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Last minute mid-week getaway to Big Sur. The campground looked decent, but we stayed in Cabin 9, one room cabin nestled under some trees next to camp store. Sharing campground bathrooms with quarter-for-hot-water showers is a let-down at this price. But it's convenient in the heart of Big Sur, so 95$ a night is the going rate... Larger 2 BR cabins for about 20$ more. Big redwoods, near creek. Nearby Redwood Grill at Fernwood resort was good for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank nameleftblank
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Ok so I grew up camping and have been here before (albieit 20 years ago) and my return trip was a bit underwhelming. The site comnpared to some others in the area left a bit to be desired. The grounds themselves are small so distance to the camp store, front office and bathrooms - well there really isnt anywhere to get away from these. We were in site 6 and about 10- 30 feet from each. Convienient? yes. Pretty? Yes. Quiet - Sort of. Cramped and a little lackluster yes, The fire pits are really above ground concrete grills. The proximity to neighboring campers (2 feet) was a low point. The feeling of getting away from it all was lost. But for $65/night you cant really complain and considering every other camprground was booked we really didnt have a choice. The staff is friendly, the location adjacent to trails and beaches was good but I probably will not stay here again. This is great for families or kids looking for a quick get away. Not the place for more experienced campers or young adults looking for an adventure.

Room Tip: Dont expect there to be a pick of the litter here. Every site leaves something to be desired. This p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Swhela
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I made last minute plans to camp at Big Sur. I called Pfeiffer State Park and Big Sur State Park and was told there were NO campsites available (tent, 2 people, 1 car) for at least 7 months!
Then I called Riverside Campground (and Cabins) to check if they had any vacancy. I spoke with a Mary and she was just awesome! She said they usually have their campers stay at least two to three nights. I told her I only needed one night, she said that's ok let me see where I can squeeze you in and she did! Not only did she find a campground for us, she gave us one of the best ones (in my opinion). It was just beautiful there and the stream was nice and peaceful. We were a couple minutes away from Pfeiffer Beach and McWay Falls. We loved it there! It was one of our better camping trips thank to Riverside Campground. I now recommend it to family and friends. We'll be back again for sure.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belle1988
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Normally I'd say it was pricey for what is a very simple cabin in a campground.... but compared to all our other options, this was very affordable, and ultimately, very enjoyable!

We ate our dinner at a table near the creek/river, and in the evening made a fire in the firepit by our cabin in the evening. We drank wine, and walked out of the woodsy campground onto the road, in order to find a clearing. Above us, countless stars twinkled in the night, a very rare car or two drove by, and we broke into the champagne we'd been saving for our next night in a "nice hotel".

Sunlight streamed through the trees in the morning, and we sat at our picnic table and drank coffee from the campground's little shop.

Our stay was short, the cabin and campground were simple, but they were also perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mam916
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I stayed in The Studio for a weekend in January and we were very pleased. The room itself was small but very elegant with room for storage and a modern toilet. There was a lovely area outside for a campfire and somewhere to sit and eat food.
There is not a huge amount to do at the site itself but we were most pleased by the attentive nature of Pam who works in the office there. She was extremely warm and accommodating and is one of the main reason for the five stars. She took 30 minutes away from running the office one evening to come and help us with our fire and to tell us about her time at the site.
Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: We were very happy with the studio and were glad to have paid a bit extra for the toilet and half-si...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#1 of 8 in Big Sur
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort

Been to Riverside Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!