“great and easily accesible spa”

Thermae Boetfort Spa and Hotel
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Recently my wife and I had the opportunity to spend a morning there. We went on a weekday, which was great because it was rather uncrowded. We left around 3 pm and it started to get packed with people.

We visited both areas, and we liked the nudist side much more as it is bigger and the saunas are hotter.

I should say that by some strange reason there is no way of pouring water in the sauna. Also I would encourage people to bring their own water,as there are no water fountains anywhere. In addition, you can save some money by bringing your own slippers,which apparently, are mandatory.

My advice, get there early, spend your time in the nudist side and sleep in the relaxation room.

In all a great experience. My wife and I will be back for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was out third time in this spa- we keep going back due to the great facilities and really good atmosphere. Unfortunately this time around our relaxing day was not as relaxing and perfect as we would have liked- due to the awful service at the spa. We had said we would arrive around 3pm when making our reservation. We arrived slightly before 3 to find out our treatments were booked in for 3pm- no changing this hence in a stress we ended up rushing for our massages. Furthermore there were no towels at reception and no solutin from the staff to provide us with some.
Not to ruin our day we went along to the beauty area (imagine the sauna without towels!) and went back to the reception several times in the hope of getting towels. No such luck- we had to negotiate towels from the beauty room, which was no easy task as the staff there were not keen on giving their towels out (?!)
Given the above when leaving the spa we asked the receptionist not to pay for the towels which we did not receive- quite logical! Not to the staff at the spa- we had to spend 20 mins explaining how paying for the towels is completely irrational. The squabble only came to a close when the receptionist's superior was contacted....!
This definitely did stain our stay there...
Another lacking feature is no drinking water in the whole of the facility- something which should be a basic service in a spa....
On a positive note, the hare fillet I had for dinner was scrumptious:)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Mags Z
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Well, I am not that much experienced in thermal centres. But what appeared to me is a nice one, close to the city, well organised, enough clean.
But i've tried the 80 minutes Full Body Massage , done by a man, and it was one of the best massage i've ever had. I've felt it even more after (later and in the night) than on the moment.

Good. I will be back. And see if my first impression will be confirmed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
wardvansighem, Manager at Thermae Boetfort Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Yves,

Thank you for your visit to Thermae Boetfort. Glad you enjoyed both the spa as the massages. We do our best to improve our customer experience every day.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I should preface this review by saying that I was looking for somewhere reasonably priced, accessible to our offices, for a one-night stop over and I thought this place looked interesting. Interesting is probably the operative word! Clearly it is geared up for the spa, rather than for being a hotel - witness the vast number of cars in the car park (there are only 7 hotel rooms) and many people having dinner. The first impression was not ideal as Reception was completely disorganized - they were not very busy, but scarcely even acknowledged my arrival for about 5 minutes, when a very willing, but not very effective member of staff started to process my registration. Eventually he was rescued by someone else who was able to actually give correct information and get me checked in. The Restaurant environment is attractive, though dinner was very average - the lasagna was very overcooked, though the salad was fresh and the house wine was (surprisingly) very drinkable! The Restaurant was very busy, but all the other diners were clad only in their spa bathrobes, which led my colleague and I to feel rather like the overdressed outsiders! My room was well appointed, spotlessly clean with an attractive bathroom - but very hot! I opened the windows (how nice to be able to do so), and then during the course of the night discovered the real disadvantage of having done so. While the hotel response to an earlier reviewer remarks that normally one cannot hear much airport traffic, I can only say that in the wee small hours about 3 planes either arrived or left (I was semi-somnolent so not sure which) and I felt as though I were actually sleeping on the runway! Further, shortly before 6am, a whole slew of flight activity started up, and it was really disturbingly noisy. Having established the previous evening that I could check out around 8:15, I was a bit surprised that the receptionist looked faintly irritated when I arrived to check out and said that she hadn't started up her computer programs yet! All in all, I probably won't rush back to this hotel, but it was an interesting experience and it is clear (as well as from reading other reviews) that the focus of this establishment is the spa and associated facilities. On the plus side, it's pretty convenient for both the airport and the surrounding business district, and definitely makes a change from your standard corporate hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
11  Thank Taormina-Tourist
wardvansighem, Manager at Thermae Boetfort Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Toarmina,

Thank you for your review about Thermae Boetfort. You're absolutely right that the main focus is mainly on spa & wellness at the moment. Though we have a lot of regular business guests as well. I guess that once you are used to the "different" surrounding, you appreciate the architecture, wellness facilities (€ 27,50 a day), the garden. Boetfort is a hidden green lung not very far from the airport.

We try to maintain a high service level, and will certainly use your opinion to further improve our staff and processes.

Forgetting about airconditioning in the rooms is a mistake we made in the past. Luckily there are few days in Belgium where it's really needed, but we understand the benefits for our guests. I can inform you that 19 new rooms are being build with ventilation and airconditioning! That way the windows can remain closed, so there won't be any noise.

There isn't any most of the time because Boetfort is not on the flight routes, but when the wind is in the wrong direction, I can understand that you can hear an airplane during the night with open windows.

Thank you very much for your stay, and until next time.

Kind regards,

Marketing manager

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Overall, it's a nice spa for a day's relaxation. With a few annoying quirks though:
- Inside the whole complex there is absolutely ZERO access to drinkable water?! For a sauna complex this is ridiculous. Also, in order to access the (kitsch) restaurant, you either need to dress up or wear bathrobe (none of which is explained during the check in). As a result, you end up getting seriously dehydrated or drinking tap water in the toilets.
- The sauna's are not hydrated and, as a result, you might end up with a nose bleed as you nose membranes dry out too much. This is very unpleasant and pretty stupid. Solutions are cheap and simple.
- The spa complex is located very close to a busy international airport, so noise levels are very high when you're outside.
- There is no explanation that the dressed up area of the spa is complete crap - the sauna's are not hot enough, the area is small etc etc. You only get to realise this after you drop your clothes and enter the naked area

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AndMa8

Dear AndMa8,

Thank you for your visit. You are correct that there are no taps in the spa themselves. We're looking into this to improve this in the future. You can take water away from the restaurant / bar or have a drink there. It's right next to bathing suit area.

In the restaurant / bar which is in it's own 400y old castle style, bathrobe is required. Our guests wouldn't like having dinner next to a man in swimming clothes or a naked women. For us, this policy is quite normal.

Furthermore our sauna's have different temperatures and humidity levels. We do have dry sauna's (like the Eucalypt and Ice Cave Sauna) and more humid sauna's (Mine Sauna, Horse Stable Sauna), ... In 4 years, we've never had any complaints about this.

We are close to Brussels Airport, but not on any flight routes. You will certainly hear an airplane during your stay ;) when the wind is bad, but that's part of life nowadays.

About the dressed part I can say that we have 10 years of experience with bathing suit spa's (Thermae Grimbergen) and that the "bathing suit guests" offen find a 90° C sauna way too hot. They are more looking to the experience so we offered infrared sauna's, light therapy sauna's, music sauna, ... I'm absolutely right that the "die hard" sauna guest sometimes prefer hotter sauna's, but most of the "die hards" visit the sauna ... nude.

Thank you for your response, I hope you find some comfort in our answers and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Very nice spa, suited for everybody. Several different saunas and pools, lovely garden. Nice atmosphere overall. Food at the restaurant is also very tasty. Recommended for spending few hours of great relax...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria F

Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your very positive review. Italy is not next door but we surely hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

First visit to the Thermae Boetfort in Melsbroek with my husband (received a gift voucher and was a good opportunity to try this one). We could only conclude that it is not our thing. Spent whole Sunday afternoon there but clearly chose the wrong day. It was very busy. And you could tell from the receptionist's face. We think she was in a very bad mood, could not welcome us or even smile. Upon departure the same, her face and body language : very unfriendly unfortunately and she did not even ask us if we enjoyed the stay. Staff wearing printed t-shirts saying "no stress". Perfect message but it had no effect on the visitors. The place doesn't give you the feeling of relaxation. Everybody was running around, making noise, talking loud. People should know that it is a place to relax and clear the head and they should be more discrete. Please don't talk in a sauna or relaxing bath. And don't shout in the swimming pool! Silence is such an important word in a relaxing place which could help you unstress. Showers, swimming pool, sauna's, whirlpool's, relaxing bath packed with people. Don't go there during the weekend : it was a good example of mass tourism.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Iris L
wardvansighem, Manager at Thermae Boetfort Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Iris,

Thank you for your visit and your review. It's thanks to these reviews that we can evolve and improve our service.

This weekend was a special massage weekend. There were about 50 massage workshops and a lot of different aufguss's during the entire weekend. We have this kind of weekends to spoil our visitors with a lot of new treatments and special events, a few times a year. And this weekend was it. We had a lot of positive comments but I can surely understand that the weekend was more crowded since it was an event weekend. Other weekends are much more relax.

As for the receptionist, you are absolutely right. They need to be friendly and polite ALL the time, even when it's busy. We will investigate this internally to improve this in the future. Can we ask you to send an e-mail to boetfort@thermae.com with more details?

TIP: Subscribe to the newsletter. All events are communicated weeks before so you can plan your visit on a calmer day.

Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melsbroek
Dolce la Hulpe Brussels
Thermae Grimbergen Hotel
Thermae Grimbergen Hotel
#4 of 4 in Grimbergen
Martin's Chateau du Lac Hotel

Been to Thermae Boetfort Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!