“Lovely modern pub”
Review of The Mill Race

The Mill Race
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Walford
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A relaxed, informal village pub set in the Wye Valley just 3 miles from Ross-on-Wye and 6 miles from Monmouth. Owned and managed by people who are passionate about the freshest of produce and food, wine and fine ales - nearly all of our produce is sourced from within 30 miles of Walford, some even comes from our very own farm! Being positioned on the borders of Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire we are surrounded by wonderful producers. Our regularly changing menus ensure we make the most of local produce with our focus on simple food cooked well.
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

That was our 2nd time at the Mill Race and weren't disappointed! The decor inside is lovely and if it is sunny enough, you can enjoy the terrace as well.
The food is lovely and everything is sourced locally. The only thing which wasn't 100% perfect was the service but I'm sure it was just a bad day for some of the waiters!! I still would recommend it!

Date of visit: August 2016
Dougclaire, General Manager at The Mill Race, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Laurent,

Thank you for your visit and the time taken to do a review. We so appreciate positive criticism and assure you that we have been hard at work striving to offer better service and improving our all round standards.

Our kitchen has been hard at work using the wonderful local and fresh produce that surrounds The Mill Race.

We look forward to your next visit and will make every attempt to delight you with our service.

Warm regards

Doug and Claire

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Turned up unannounced for a table for 9, we were quickly accommodated and enjoyed a Lovley meal, even catering for the fussy food eaters in the party. The food was excellent and local beers kept just as good.

Date of visit: August 2016

Dear Shandy,

Thank you for choosing the Mill Race for your visit and for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Such a review is so refreshing from an experienced reviewer such as yourself and not a newly registered TripAdvisor member who has just started working in a nearby opposition pub and has an ulterior motive whilst writing their first review. We were thrilled that we managed to fit you in to our pub and that you so enjoyed the beers and food.

Who would of said that beer line care, cellar hygiene and a happy kitchen actually does make a difference to pub atmosphere!

We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards

Doug

Reviewed 30 July 2016

We asked Google for the best steak house in Hereford and this was no1. It being a Wednesday we did not book, after parking the car and on approach to the entrance the manager Doug was in the car park saying goodbye to some people who had just left. He then turned his attention to us and welcomed us into the establishment. At this point I’m thinking wow, this is an impressive start. He asked if we had booked, I said no and we were shown to our seats. The décor is tastefully done with modern colours and seated in an area with a view to the open kitchen was also nice to see. The menu came, I asked if the Rib-eye could be bigger, from 8oz to say 12oz, he went to check with the kitchen and said that was ok. The steaks a 12oz sirloin and Rib-eye were full of flavour and seasoned correctly, cooked to our liking and with chunky chips I have to say this was one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. Congratulations to the chefs on a quality meal. The deserts were disappointing, very unimaginative, but hey, I was here for the steaks. Is this a pub, restaurant, gastro pub or what? I could not decide. I guess it’s a pub as some people came in with dogs, not guide dogs, I was shocked at first as I thought it was a restaurant because of the décor, but soon reassured myself it must be a pub. If I could pick this place up and put it down in London, what a gold mine it would be, the owner could retire immediately. Excellent Steaks.

Dear Earls Court TT,

Thank you for your visit and your kind review. We are especially thrilled with the credibility you bring your review as you are a seasoned critic and reviewer.

We glad that you so enjoyed the steak. My physique is probably living testimony to my great passion for meat and hence we worked hard on sourcing the very best in meat supplies. We settled on a Cows Hill Farm who have a very rare breed of cattle and consistently great standards. This gives us the confidence to recommend our steak.
In fact Cows Hill Farm supplies us with such good meat I get a thrill every time I open the cold room door. Each steak is trimmed and and hand cut by our very experienced Head Chef.
We are making every effort to share a warm welcome with all our guests and to ensure that the atmosphere at The Mill Race is as good as the steak and the beer.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards

Doug

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

We come to the Forest of Dean at least once a year if not more and our favourite town to visit is Ross on Wye. We have passed this place so many times and I have been wanting to try it for years. We decided to go for it on this trip and I am so happy we did. The food was excellent, some of the best we've had in the forest! They locally source the produce so it helps to keep many people in business and means the food is as fresh as can be.

Very nicely done out with a minimalist approach with nice clean bathrooms. The staff were welcoming and very accommodating. They don't have a children's menu but can make certain meals into child friendly portions.

If you are passing do stop off and eat here, you won't be disappointed. Can't wait to return next time we are back!

Dear Jelly Bean,

Thank you for your custom and for taking the time to write such a positive review. A positive review, especially from a level 4 reviewer as yourself, makes all the efforts we put in seem more worth the while.

We love the Mill Race and are so glad that you enjoyed your experience.

The good news is that we now have a Little people's Menu that is proving to be very popular!

Kind regards

Claire and Doug

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

My family and I were recently treated to a fantastic evening of culinary delights, great service and quality drinks at the Mill Race. The decor in the pub is tasteful and welcoming and the food is top notch. The evening was very enjoyable and all our tastes were catered for. This is a definite must visit pub, and we will be returning when we are next in the area.