“A hidden gem”

Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Tantallon
Price range: US$7 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Whitby, Canada
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

On my way back from Peggy's Cove my wife and I decided to take the Lighthouse Route and discovered to our great surprise the White Sails Bakery and Deli. With a great selection of delicious meals to please any palate you can't go wrong at White Sails. The owners of the Bakery were incredibly friendly and made a point of making us feel right at home immediately on arrival. Our orders were quickly prepared and delicious on arrival. Having left Peggy's Cove well after the lunch hour and finding very few restaurants open I was resigned to a Fast Food meal. White Sails saved the day. If you're in the area you gotta try it.

Visited July 2014

Halifax, Canada
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Four of us went to this restaurant for lunch. None of us had been before, although two of us live just a dozen kilometres distant. The short story: WE WILL ALL BE BACK AGAIN!

However, it is not a 5-star restaurant: it doesn't claim to be one. It is, however, a 5-star deli and bakery serving food for eating on premises or take-out.

On arriving, we did not know what the procedure was at this homey, comfortable crowded deli, but we soon discovered what to do, as the very busy owner greeted us warmly and invited us to read the menus he gave us. There are only two tables inside the deli, but there are many seats and tables out on the lawn overlooking Whynachts Cove and today was a spectacularly lovely sunny day with blue skies. So, we sat outside at a table after ordering our meals. Soon, a voice cried "Mel' and we were able to obtain our trays through the kitchen window. Neat.

My wife had ordered a BLT with cheese and cucumber extras on multi-grain bread, baked in the ir own ovens. It was filled with so much good food that my wife had to take the lettuce out and eat it separately as there was no way at all she could get the sandwich into her mouth. The other lady had ordered the Turkey Club Sandwich, which, likewise was so filled she had the greatest difficulty in getting her mouth around it, so also followed my wife's idea of taking some of it out and eating it separately.

Our other friend, he ordered the Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich on multi-grain bread, which comes with a kosher pickle. The menu states that there is 6oz of meat: my friend and I can both attest to at least that amount. It made the sandwich look SO good and thick. And it tasted, just as advertised, like a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich you would eat in the best smoked meat places in Montreal.

I chose the Reuben, which was the same as the Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich with Swiss cheese and sauerkraut. It was, as were all of the plates, simply delicious. I had also ordered the fresh cut fries with skins on. When I saw them on the tray, I could not believe my eyes: the large paper bag was so full of them, two others shared them with me. And they, too, were delicious.

We all had decaf coffee or decaf tea afterwards, while we let the sumptuous meal settle. The bakery provides the most tempting desserts, such as chocolate eclaires, chocolate peanut butter balls, various wonderfully-looking pies, muffins and loaves of bread. We will have to go back and try just the desserts, for we had no room in our tummies for anything else.

At each of the tables out on the lawn, where we sat, there was a basket containing napkins, salt, pepper and ketchup.

It was, as I said above, a first at this restaurant fo all four of us. We all will be going back again. Too bad we didn't tell Jacques that it was our first time, as the web site told us afterwards that we would have been offered free samples!!!! So, make sure you tell them it is your first time there - if it is!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Sweets Look Better Than They Taste - Try the Poutine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was excited when I saw the trip advisor sticker! I had poutine for the first time. It really was pretty good although it sounds perfectly awful and is certainly not a health food. My husband was disappointed in his sandwich--not in the portion but in the taste. I was very disappointed in the oat cakes. I sprung for a chocolate dipped one. I don't know what the dipping was but it did not taste very much like chocolate. I am always crushed when I save room for a dessert and it is not super good--especially when it looks good but tastes no so very. I do regret that we were not staying where we could cook since they sold stuffed cabbage but only as a cold take-away. All that said, there was a pretty place to sit outside by the water.

Stayner, Canada
“Great bakery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stopped here 3 times on our holiday as the baked goods were so fresh and delicious. The owner was so friendly and asked us where we were from etc. He let us pick which item we wanted. Great pastries!

Forest Hill, Maryland
“Oh my gracious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Ok, to start, don't let yourself drive by without trying this delicious deli and bakery. What a nice owner...he cares so much about his food and offerings that he actually checks up on making sure you are satisfied...both times we were there, he interacted with his customers, even apologizing for the wait. The food was so good...we had a number of items: smoked meat sandwich, grilled burger, fries, split pea soup, hot dog, sugar pie...all good. Sit down outside near the water, have great food and relax a bit.

Visited July 2014