“New owners make for a fantastic lunch”

Dark Horse Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Dark Horse offers light lunches/brunch from 11am - 2.30Pm dailey (closed Monday) and evening meals 6pm - 9pm, all day Saturday & 12noon - 4pm on Sundays including roast dinners. The bar is open all day from 11am - 11pm (closed Monday)
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“New owners make for a fantastic lunch”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Lets be clear from the off - there are new owners with a new style which (so I’ve been told) have only been in place for a few weeks so discount the older reviews.

My family and I stumbled upon this place quite by accident when visiting a local vineyard and was so taken by its unique charm and feel we decided to stay for lunch - and how pleased we were. The owner couldn’t have been more helpful and even though they didn’t have a children’s menu the chef created a lovely meal for my three year old daughter ( who surprised us all by eating it all up) .

The food was fantastic, and due to this we ended up having three courses - which I hasten to add was very well priced. I would recommend all to the Dark Horse and am returning in the next week for a table of 12 !

Five star food, surroundings and service.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique setting and delicious food”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

The Dark Horse has returned to its former high standards of food and ambience. Justin and Lydia Bone have created a wonderful atmosphere which is being enjoyed by locals, and visitors alike. The food is delicious and my husband and I have thoroughly enjoyed breakfast and dinner. Well done to everyone, particularly the chef!

1 Thank Lilly080
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A restaurant with no interest in food”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This restaurant puts me in mind of the old jewish joke: Diner 1: This food is awful. Diner 2: Yes, and so little of it!
Starting with flat gin and tonics - undrinkable. Moving on to try and find anything, anything you actually wanted to eat on the menu. A starter of chicken broth for £4.50 was literally stock water. A plate of ante pasti for £5 was a few tiny circles of salami, a cherry tomato and some unwashed leaves. Smoked fish pate was, well, it was smoked fish pate from a jar. Any of this I might have snacked on at home - except the broth - the total cost of ingredients for all four of us must have been in the region of 50p.
Main course - meat balls in tomato sauce were tough and reheated; the sort of food you may give children at a party, but not if you actually liked the children. The sea bass was exceptional for being the smallest and most overcooked ever witnessed. My meatless moussaka (who the hell goes to a restaurant to eat a meatless moussaka? Well, me. But only because nothing else sounded good. And I was right. It wasn't) was made using raw inedible aubergine. The butternut squash risotto was...OK. What absolutely stood out was the cheapness of ingredients and the lack of care in preparation. If this had been a bar snack, it would have been disappointing.
The puddings were OK. Again, prepared a long time in advance with little skill but OK. When one non-pudding eater asked for some cheese instead, he was informed that there was no cheese in the kitchen. None. At. All. In the whole restaurant. That just about summed it up really.

1 Thank greedisgood
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Last minute invite to a birthday party...”
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Last minute invite to a birthday party!! Awsome night, new owners (last 10 days) have really gone to town. A great atmosphere in the stable blocks and well hosted by all! A real must for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

1 Thank Rock769
London
“I was taken here as a surprise for my...”
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I was taken here as a surprise for my birthday. Well it was like faulty towers. The cutlery and wine glasses gave it away I suppose, but basically this restaurant has come out of the 70's. The food is bland, the service hilarious, and overpriced! Please go somewhere else!

1 Thank Maz945