“Amazing views”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Amazing views”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hike was very hard but rewarding. Our Family of 4 ( 34, 31, 13 and 10) went at a steady pace and managed the hikein total in 6 and a half hours, including lots of breaks. After the first mountain you have to climb overthere is a nice valley sort of place with rivers and wooden bridges . I reccomend this walk on a good sunny day! :) Parking fee is 100 kr

4 Thank Bethany H

76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“my legs hurt!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was a very difficult hike. I felt like I was required to walk straight up a mountain... three times there... and two times on the way back. I'm not a hiker though, so maybe this is why it was so hard. It took all day but it was worth getting a picture on the boulder lodges between mountains.

3 Thank vashka0310
Perth, Australia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“More rock climbing. Only go with good weather”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hard Rock Climbing, tad disappointing ending after reading such positive reviews.
Firstly I’ll say we went on a cloudy day and had done trolltunga on a perfect 27degree sunny day two days before (and ended up doing Preikestolen that afternoon). Up the mountains it got very windy and cold. No matter what the weather please make sure to take a windsheeter jacket with a hood and a beanie. Hiking boots would be very beneficial. I wouldn’t recommend any of the Trolltung, Kjerag or Preikestolen hikes to people with bad ankles or knees as they all have lots of hills and rocks. Doable in running shoes but as before, hiking boots would definitely help.
I dont thick there is any point doing this hike unless the weather is good.
Everyone on here had raved about this hike so despite it being cold and windy we kept going. I was disappointed as the terrain seemed to be a lot of what we had seen on the drive in and the 3 mountain climbs to get to the rock were tough going. Trolltunga had a much more varying landscape and rewarding outcome, but this may just be because i was tired and it was harder than expected.
There is a bathroom and restaurant at the carpark at the start of the track. 100NOK in COINS is needed for the parking lot and the tourist office isn’t open early.
I would definitely recommend going first thing aka 730am to start it to beat the crowds and get the best weather.

5 Thank Kate D
Vaasa, Finland
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“More like rock climbing than a hike at some places, but so worth it”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

First of all, if you thought you would go and check out the Kjeragbolten in jeans and sneakers/flip lops, I would suggest you reconsider. Me and my sister where doing a hiking weekend where we stayed in Stavanger and then hiked the Pulpit Rock on the first day and saved Kjerag for the second. We took a bus from Stavanger (Tidereiser, 490 NOK for a return trip) and were expecting it to be somewhat demanding but boy were we surprised. At the Pulpit Rock we had seen several people not dressed for a hike at all. Me and my sister got comments on how "well-prepared" we looked, but I'm pretty sure no one would have questioned the gear the next day. At Kjerag you could see that most people had at least done some hiking before. When we left the parking lot for our hike the first think I saw was a huge rocky wall. Without steps or trails as such. While we were climbing up this, partly hanging on to these old chains that are there to help you (but don't look very trustworthy as many of them are broken) I started wondering what I had signed us up for, as I was pretty sure that rock climbing was not mentioned anywhere. I however kept telling myself that this is probably just the hardest part. Let's just say I was wrong. Very wrong. After hiking/climbing for around 3 hours, my sister having sustained some small injuries from falling and after seeing more than a couple people turn back, we were there. At this magical rock. That I had waited for for over 8 months. Kjeragbolten. I wanted to cry of happiness, so great were the views. And the. I if course had to get on the rock, which is lodged between two mountain walls, hanging about 984m above the fjord. It was a huge adrenalin rush to jump on it, knowing that nothing is securing you. Didn't regret it for a second though.

Turning back and starting to do the hike down was way harder though. Climbing up is one thing but getting down is totally different (unless you want to just roll down. Wouldn't recommend it though). We knew that we couldn't take all day getting down as the bus would leave at 16.45. At the end is was so tired that my legs were just continuously slipping on the rock wall. But we made it. And I must say I felt great. Tired but absolutely great.

For those of you that think hiking to the Pulpit Rock was hard, I would maybe not recommend Kjerag. For those of you who love a little challenge, this is something you absolutely must do and I promise you will not regret it!

2 Thank Linda N
Amritsar, India
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“one of the most beautiful place i have ever seen”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

what a place and experience. i have no words to explain it. it is experience in itself. trekking for 12 kilometers in six and half hours . we found waterfall , ice patches, off course mountain climbing was also there.
best experience was reaching on the big stone between two rocks.
it is complete safe place but u should be physically fit.
my suggestion would be before doing this hike person must try smaller or little simpler hike like pulpit rock
i have enjoyed the each moment of this hike

Visited June 2014