“Wedding Day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonedge
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
“Wedding Day”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We booked The Peak Edge Hotel for our wedding due to the wonderful views, reputation for good food, and the welcome and hospitality that we received from the wedding team when first looking round.

Our wedding took place over Bank Holiday weekend in August. We had a fabulous day - a big thank you to Sam for her help in planning and running the day, and to the front of house team. Our guests have commented on the excellent food and service so I would recommend the hotel to anyone thinking of booking for a special occasion.

For those thinking of choosing this hotel for a break; the hotel is well situated for the attractions of the Peak District and for the town of Chesterfield which has many facilities. On checking in the service was excellent. The rooms are well proportioned, with a high-end modern finish. The hotel grounds and outlook are beautiful. The bistro serves very nice food (we have eaten here several times aside from the wedding) and has a lovely rustic feel, and the breakfast served there was exceptional in both choice and service.

There was a problem with the water on the day of our wedding which was quite a stress for the wedding party. We do understand that this was beyond the control of the hotel. The steps that they took to make sure that our wedding could go ahead were really appreciated - organising another hotel for us to shower at and bringing in emergency toilets for example. I cannot say that the whole situation was pleasant on our wedding day...but I wanted to share this as a positive on this review as it does show how much the staff care. Most of the customer service that we received was of the highest standard. I have been in touch with the hotel regarding a this since, and again the response that I have received is to be commended (thank you) - showing a management team that really cares about pleasing the customer and making improvements.

Overall a great experience with The Peak Edge. I would recommend to anyone who wants to visit the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you so very much for your amazing review. I was so delighted to read all your fantastic feedback on your very special Wedding Day. Again, we sincerely apologise for the water issues we unexpectedly encountered on the morning of your wedding, but so pleased our alternative arrangements for you was acceptable. I am so fortunate to have a team of passionate and devoted staff that work consistently to high standards to ensure guests are looked after and cared for always. I would like to wish you health, happiness and everlasting love on your future together. We hope to welcome you once again in the not too distant future. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband had booked the hotel the same week we stayed, and having checked Trip advisor I knew we had made a good choice. Beautiful peaceful setting, modern clean boutique hotel. Lovely large well lit rooms stunning bathrooms with everything we needed. I have the same issue with every hotel I stay in I do wish it was possible to have fresh milk and better tea and coffee facilities but there was plenty of the norm available and biscuits. The staff were fabulous we were shown to our room and how to adjust the heating etc. we had booked for the restaurant upon arrival and I have to say that the Service was impeccable and without question some of the best I have ever witness, prompt polite efficient and nothing was too much trouble, brilliant and made a fantastic change. The food on offer was a great range and something for all tastes. My husband had the fillet steak on the bone, he had not asked for a steak nice and did not need one, the steak was cooked to perfection and was just as my steak fanatic husband wished. I had the local Chatsworth haddock in batter, beautiful the fish tasty and the batter lovely and light. My husband chose the acorn brûlée for dessert and we both tried it yummy perfect in fact. I had the sticky toffee pud a favourite and it was too fantastic. Breakfast was also served beautifully plenty on offer and although not on the menu I waked for pooched eggs on toast and my request filled. My only niggle was the coffee, at a guess it was instant and bland - I am happy to admit I like my coffee freshly made and strong. Over all we will definately stay again if we return to the area and cannot compliment the staff highly enough absolutely the best service I have had.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tamara G
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am delighted that you had the most enjoyable. It makes me incredibly proud when I receive such an amazing review. I have an amazing and dedicated team, who work so hard in every area, to ensure each guest is made to feel special, welcomed and looked after to the highest level. Thank you once again for your very kind comments, and I hope to see you again in the not too distant future. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale.
Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We received a warm welcome upon our arrival, our immediate thought was how lovely the Reception area was and hoping that the room was equally as lovely - it was - in fact was exceptional. Sleep really well in the comfy be. We didn't have dinner but breakfast was lovely, the dinning area was as lovely as the rest of the hotel. All the staff were really polite and helpful - just wished that we could spend longer there but was just passing through. Well done Peak Edge Hotel it is nice to stay somewhere so lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fatmuma
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am so happy to read that you have a comfortable and relaxing stay with us at The Peak Edge Hotel. I would be delighted to welcome you once again when you are next passing through or planning for a longer stay. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is the first time I have written a review on tripadvisor but this hotel was probably the best hotel i've ever stayed at and we only stayed for a couple of nights. I picked this hotel as a little gettaway for my fiance's 30th birthday and right from the beginning the hotel staff were incredible at helping me plan the stay and keeping it secret from my fiance. We corresponded mostly by email but each email was responded to very quickly and very politely so I was pleased before we even got there. When we arrived the lady on reception knew who we were and said she was glad she managed to meet us and wished my fiance a happy birthday. When we got to our room there was also a card for my fiance which I thought was a lovely touch and handwritten, not just an unpersonalised one like most companies send. Our room (which was the Feature Room) was amazing, it totally met the expectations if not more than the pictures on the website and I was automatically taking photos of the view from our window and getting excited about the rather large bathtub in the bathroom. Everywhere in the hotel was clean and tidy, nothing was out of place and very well decorated. It seemed like nothing was impossible for the hotel staff to meet our needs and to say they had two weddings on were still very dedicated to our stay even if they were busy. Breakfast which was included in our stay was brillant - so much choice and very delicious and Iliked the little details such as the fact they wrapped our toast up in a napkin to keep it warm. The hotel also hired me a couple of bikes for the Saturday in advance and I had requested a smaller bike for myself and a mountain bike for my fiance and they sorted out helmets for us too and brought them out back for us with no hassle. We rode to Chatsworth House and back and were thoroughly exhausted but exhilirated when we got back to the hotel! We were unfortunately late for our reservation in the Bistro but they soon changed the time for us so we could freshen up and have a bath as we were aching a bit. The bath was fantastic and the shower was one of those showers you just didn't want to get out of and so clean and refreshing. Even though we were aching from the bike ride we went down to the Bistro for our meal and the staff were all very attentive and the food was to die for (highly recommend the duck a l'orange and cheeseboard for dessert) and so well presented. There were guests from the wedding at the bar but we all felt just happy to be in atmosphere (not overcrowded or feeling we were in the way) and there was someone playing the piano in the corner which made it all very romantic. After the meal we both collapsed into bed, watched a bit of our 46 inch TV and slept right the way through. My fiance said it was the best night's sleep he had in a long while. We would definitely visit this hotel again and were even saying we might visit for our first year wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: The Feature Room is the way to go!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HotelLover304
Thank you very much for your amazing review. I am truly delighted that you had such a fantastic and memorable stay for your Fiancés birthday celebrations. The Peak Edge Hotel at The Red Lion, pride ourselves on high levels of customer service, attention to detail, and will always do our utmost to make our guests feel incredibily special. Thank you for your wonderful photographs too that you have very kindly posted. they are all great! It would be wonderful to welcome you once again in the not too distant future. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at The Peak Edge over the August bank holiday weekend for a wedding in Darley Dale. We arrived quite late on Friday night, in the pouring rain and were given a very warm and friendly welcome at reception. It was lovely to be shown to our room - not a touch you see very often these days - but makes you feel really welcome and looked after.
Unfortunately I fell flat on my face in the car park that night and ripped my toe apart. The lady on reception was really kind and helpful, got us sorted with first aid box and directions to the minor injuries A&E (a much better bet than the Chesterfield main hospital at 11.30 on a Friday night).
On our return they sent extra pillows up so I could elevate my foot, and the large glasses of wine we ordered arrived very swiftly.

We ate at the Red Lion on Saturday night and enjoyed a wonderful meal, a great bottle of wine, and superb service. Breakfast on Saturday morning was quite slow in arriving at our table, and at 8.30 in the morning we didn't really appreciate the handyman using a circular saw in the same room we were eating. (very loud, very intrusive and should probably have waited until breakfast service was finished).

All in all we had a wonderful stay - the hotel is expensive - but for what you get, it is well worth the money. Peaceful, quiet, friendly hotel with beautiful rooms, great views and wonderful food.

My main sticking point is the lighting in the car park. As mentioned - I fell and quite badly injured myself on my arrival - which would have been solved by having lights in the car park especially around the raised curbed flower bed (the offending trip hazard). Sort this out and you'll be even better than the 5*s I've already given you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you very much for writing your review on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing stay and enjoyed the friendliness and warmth that you was shown whilst here. However, I was so so sorry to learn that you had hurt yourself in the car park, and I do send my very good wishes to you. I would be delighted to welcome you once again in the future. Kinedest regards, Damian Dugdale
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Have just returned from a 3 night stay in this great hotel. Beautiful, modern, contempory boutique hotel, with a old, modern, rustic restaurant attached. Great rural location, with beautiful views but central to all local attractions. Our room was a superior room, great, comfortable big bed, complimentary bottled water, coffee, biscuits everyday, the lovely big bathroom was beautiful, lovely big bath(plug didn't work though), plenty of room for 2!!! All staff very friendly, polite and professional. The restaurant was lovely, nice big roaring fires, comfy chairs to relax in. We ate from the market menu, 3 courses for £15, beautiful food, great value, struggled to fit dessert in.. Breakfast was also served in restaurant , great no complaints.. All in all I would recommend this hotel for special occasions and for a treat, and would love to return

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel U
Thank you for writing your wonderful review. I am very pleased to read that you have had such a great 3 night stay with us in September. I would like to take this opportunity also to thank you for all your future recommendations on The Peak Edge Hotel at The Red Lion Bistro. We hope to see you again in the future. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We booked most of the rooms for a car rally and were not disappointed.
The staff were super and so helpful. Victoria Chapman was the events organiser and she was SO efficient. The food was brilliant and inventive.
This hotel goes the extra mile and I can recommend it to anyone for a function or just a couple wanting a weekend away.
A spa would be the icing on the cake.
Well done and Thankyou Peak Edge !!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank anne c
Thank you so very much for writing your wonderful review. I am delighted you had such a memorable stay with us. Such an amazing time for us also to welcome you, your guests and the fantastic collection of cars. We pride ourselves on always going the extra mile and looking after our guests in the best possible way. We will be glad to see you once again. Kindest regards, Damian Dugdale.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonedge
Casa Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Peak Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!