“Excellent all round place for a Wedding anniversary”
Review of Peak Edge Hotel

Peak Edge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonedge
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round place for a Wedding anniversary”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I spent 2 nights here mid week in mid July with my husband for our 10th anniversary.

I choose this hotel after checking a couple websites to see what deals I could find last minute. We paid about £100 a night for a superior room (I think, I have lost the bill now.. doh) with breakfast. I like that area of the Peak District and it was close enough to Chesterfield/Bakewell/Buxton if you needed anything (shops etc..)

I'd already emailed to say it was our 10th Wedding Anniversary and from the moment we arrived we were treated like a king and queen but in a nice and informal friendly way.

A whole bottle of Champagne was produced once we'd been in the room for 10 mins, nicely chilled with ice bucket and glasses and more glasses of champagne arrived with breakfast, which we had in our room as a treat, the next morning and again the next night in the Bistro (The Red Lion right next to the pub) so we felt very spoilt.

The hotel seems quite new, I think 2011 it opened, bedrooms are spacious with lots of room for clothes and luggage, easy chairs, desk, hairdrier etc.. beautiful views over the lake and fields beyond, comfy beds, thick dark curtains to keep the light out, flat screen TV with Sky etc...Lovely bathrooms with great showers and bath and a range of toiletries.

Newspapers are also delivered to your room if you pre order.

We found the staff to be really helpful but also happy to stop and have a chat, in fact this is the sort of hotel I'd like to work in, it seemed like the were all in tune with each other and the atmosphere was lovely.

We ate both nights in the Red Lion Bistro which is right next door, you don't even have to go outside if it raining, an old pub but refurbished in a way that is super sympathetic.

Food was excellent both breakfast and evening meals and I have to say that Emma (P?) who was our waitress on a couple of occasions morning and evening was a gem and a pleasure to meet.

The location is quite rural which is what we wanted but anyone wanting to "party on" mid week I guess would need to consider their options!

I'd happily recommend this hotel for romantic nights away but also for business travellers wanting to get away from large chains and getting a change of scenery.

Breakfast in your room does cost extra but it is worth it and the breakfast menu is extensive.. even includes haggis and I think it is some of the best I have tried.

I think WiFi was free but check if that is a deal breaker for you... or just enjoy the view and the ambience and leave the laptop / phone / tablet locked up.

I haven't taken photo's as the room etc.. was exactly as shown on the website.

One last thing - plenty of car parking

Thank you for making my 10th anniversary so special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PorkpieUk
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Hello
We are delighted you chose to spend your 10th Wedding Anniversary with us at the Peak Edge Hotel. Champagne is the very least we could offer for such a special occasion! For future reference Wifi is offered to all our guests free of charge, but we agree with you, leave the laptop and tablet at home and enjoy the stunning scenary and fabulous food. Relax and Enjoy!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent one night at the Peak Edge hotel on the 2nd August to celebrate my fiance's birthday. From the moment we arrived we were treated to a complementary bottle of fizz, exceptional service and a meal that was out of this world! The only down side was not having longer!
I spent some time trying to find the perfect place and this was certainly it. I am even writing a well deserved review - my first I might add, which says something considering how much I rely on Tripadvisor to research our many trips!
The hotel and the rooms are beautifully decorated and well appointed. The bed was one of the best we had slept on and the views from the room were stunning. Although were only a short drive from the nearest town it felt like we had stumbled across a well kept secret in the middle of nowhere. Together with the fantastic Red Lion bar and restaurant which is adjoined you really have no reason to go anywhere else.
As regards our meal we have both raved about the food, restaurant and service to everyone we have seen since our return. We could not fault any part of it. We were even treated to espresso martinis made by the knowledgeable bar tender who was more than happy to accommodate our specific tastes.
The restaurant staff are clearly passionate about good service and we were well looked after from start to finish. Even the following day when they were clearly under pressure due to excessive numbers at breakfast their service was delivered with a smile. Can I also just say I know how it feels when it's "one of those days" and the girls did not stop all morning.
Thank you to all the staff at the Peak Edge hotel and Red Lion pub for an exceptional stay and experience. They are clearly a well appointed team of equally hardworking, passionate individuals and it really does show.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bexly1982
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for your great review and kind comments, in particular, for going out of your way to publically recognise the customer service you received during your stay. We’re thrilled to learn we exceeded your overall expectations and hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you whenever your future travel plans may bring you back to the Peak District.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked 2 rooms at the hotel for a family get together. The rooms and hotel are excellent, nice large king size beds, together with good size rooms. Shower en-suite great although a glass shelf must have previously been broken and not replaced. Nice location. Karen on reception very helpful!

One tip - I had read some rave reviews of the pub next door - afraid my opinion is that it was disappointing and over-priced for the meals on offer. I had a risotto -rather too mushy and wet for what it should have been. A couple of the party had Sunday lunch veg and looked as if they get very little of that. One of the grandchildren wanted Yorkshire pudding. She got one and I was charged just under £7 for 1 Yorkshire pud. A record for me and I have dined at some exclusive places. One last point was that my wife asked what the fish was for the Fish and Chips. She was told Salmon (normally Halibut but they had run out). Salmon for fish and chips!

We ended up having to travel into Matlock for feeding a couple of ours later and found a lovely restaurant called Viva Italiano.

Room Tip: Wedding party on but not much noise after about 11pm
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul W
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We only stayed one night for B&B as we were attending 2 private parties else where , but would like to have stayed longer. Our room was excellent with super bathroom providing everything needed and luxurious towels. Warm welcome and very good breakfast although staff were very busy with wedding party.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Ruth B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, as well as letting us know you would have loved to have stayed longer, which arguably, is one of the highest compliments any of our guests can give us. We look forard to welcoming you back to the Peak Edge Hotel very soon.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just spent 4 wonderful days at the Peak Edge Hotel. This Hotel should be the bench mark for all hotels. The room was clean, spacious and brilliantly laid out with a secluded dressing area, roll top bath and walk in shower. The view from our room was amazing. Even though weddings were taking place, we never heard a thing. However, the icing on the cake of this hotel is the staff. From Reception to the bar and Restaurant, nothing was any trouble. All the staff were warm, friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The young restaurant and bar staff were friendly, confident and welcoming. The hotel even cooked us a special meal when there was nothing on the menu we would eat. If there was one thing we would change would be the menu which after 4 days, we struggled to find something we would eat. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank k s
Thank you for your kind comments, and in particular, for going out of your way to publically recognise the staff for the great customer service you received during your stay. I can assure you your comments will be shared with our entire team. We really look forward to welcoming you back to the Peak Edge Hotel very soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for as a birthday treat and enjoyed a fabulous meal in the hotel bistro (The Red Lion).

The bistro has won the Derbyshire Food and Drink Awards Gastro Pub of the Year for the last 3 years and the food definitely lived up to its billing. The staff are friendly and accommodating and the building itself is charming with the bistro in a converted coaching inn but the hotel rooms in a newly constructed adjoining building.

We will be looking to return with friends soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Goulding82
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight whilst attending a wedding that took place here.
It was brilliant. The room was lovely, spacious, clean and an excellent bathroom with rainfall walk in shower.
The food was superb from the wedding dinner through to a snack, buffet and breakfast the following morning. The setting is lovely especially if the weather was as good as we had it. We shall be returning with my boys to visit Chatsworth which is very close by as they have a fully accessible adapted room. I can't wait.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank David G
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, as well as letting us know that based on your recent stay with us, that you’ll definitely return, which is one of the highest recommendatios you can possibly give us. We can't wait to see you again too!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonedge
Casa Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Peak Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!