“lovely boutique winery”
Review of Obsidian Vineyard

Obsidian Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Onetangi
More attraction details
Owner description: Obsidian wines are the true embodiment of their place of origin. Every exquisite glass of Obsidian speaks of this unique terroir, encapsulating not only the character of the weathered soils at Onetangi, home to Obsidian's vineyard on Waiheke Island, but the coastal beauty of the surrounding environment.Tucked away in an amphitheatre setting amongst the vines, Obsidian offers wine tastings in a relaxed and friendly environment. Our knowledgeable cellar door staff will take you through a range of Obsidian Reserve & Non-Reserve wines.All are available to purchase in the shop. Winter Opening Hours: 11:00am - 4:00pm Friday through Sunday.
Auckland, New Zealand
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“lovely boutique winery”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Set in a lovely little amphitheatre, it is lovely to be there. Friendly, relaxed and some lovely wines with cheese/nuts for nibbles. Beautiful Montepulciano!! a must to try! Very helpful staff (Lyn), and over all a lovely experience,,,,, far nicer than the big commercial wineries.

Visited December 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
“They Cheat you!!!!!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I went to Waiheke last weekend with my boyfriend and friends. We did the wine testing and I told the ladie that I don't drink red wine, just white. She offerd me very generously just try a bit of the whites ( 2 wines) and she would charge for the testing. I accept. When we finish she suggest us to buy a bottle, but we didn't want because we wanted to try in different vineyards. My friend went to pay and she charges the $8 for my testing and I didn't drink!!!!

Visited December 2013
Janet S, Manager at Obsidian Vineyard, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
We are disappointed to hear of your experience at Obsidian cellar door, as we are committed to providing a great wine tasting experience to all visitors. Our policy is not to charge for a full tasting (which includes 5 wines) if a customer only wishes to taste 1 or 2 of our wines. We are unsure as to why you were charged for tasting only two wines, but have raised the issue with all our staff and reinforced that a fee will not be charged for someone wishing to taste only 1 or 2 wines. We are more than happy to refund the tasting fee to you. Please contact us at your convenience directly at cellardoor@obsidian.co.nz.

Yours sincerely

Cellar Door Manager
Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great boutique”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful experience here! Lady on this day was wonderful and very friendly coped with serving 3 groups at once all with great high quality service and smiles! Recommend the reds more then whites! Comp cheese board was a nice idea!

Visited October 2013
Gladstone
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful wine!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I visited this vineyard with five of my girlfriends on a private winery tour. This was one of 3 wineries/vineyards we visited that day. The wine at Obsidian was wonderful- probably my favorite of the day! However, I did feel like the service could have been better- we got an explanation of the wine we were tasting and then the staff member disappeared. Perhaps it was just a busy day.

Visited March 2013
Janet S, Owner at Obsidian Vineyard, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed the wines at Obsidian and felt they were perhaps the best wines you tried, however we were very concerned to hear that you felt you were not entirely well looked after. We certainly wish to apologise for that, as we generally do pride ourselves on provided individual attention to our customers. I will certainly remind out team to ensure they are readily available to provide information about our vineyard and the wines and respond to any questions customers may have to ensure your tasting is as informative and enjoyable as possible. If you are planning to visit the Island again, please notify us at info@obsidian.co.nz and we will offer you a special reserve tasting.

Kind regards Janet
Auckland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good vineyard, well worth a visit.”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Enjoyed a tasting accompanied by complimentary cheese, crackers and olives. Knowlegeable friendly staff took the time to explain the wines to us, noticed others asked the questions but staff answered those questions in the same friendly manner as the first time. Love the montipulciano and the reserve Syrah. I like the system that if you buy a bottle of wine there is no charge for the tasting. Fair enough! Lookout for this vineyard in future the wine is really good.

Visited April 2013