“Small but interesting - you just need a little patience”
Review of Felinwynt Rainforest Centre - CLOSED

Felinwynt Rainforest Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Now a Cafe
Wirral, United Kingdom
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Small but interesting - you just need a little patience”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I spent a really interesting hour here and walked around a few times, seeing more butterflies each time. I found my guide, the owner, very interesting but not at all pushy and he happily explained anything I asked but also left me to wander on my own as I wanted. I particularly enjoyed the emerging butterflies and although normally only a point and press photographer, I was able to take some amazing shots. There was a bench at the far end and it was lovely to sit and listen to the sounds of Peru and the running water and it was here that I began to see more and more butterflies as my eyes became accustomed to the surroundings. I also leaned more about the leaf cutter ant colony in a few minutes conversation than I did visiting a much larger similar attraction earlier in the year. The birds, snails and stick insects were an added bonus and I found the young ladies in the cafe really friendly, chatty and helpful and the food was homemade and really enjoyable. The fact that I could come and go as I wanted was really good and whilst the actual tropical house could probably have done with a little attention, the important aspects were certainly not lacking. Having read some of the other, less complimentary reviews, sometimes I wonder if I have been to the same attraction - for me, this was really enjoyable place to go and although on a small scale, with a little patience, I was amazed at how much I saw. Thank you

Visited August 2013
1 Thank kunduku

Nr Hereford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A charming Place to visit”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We came across this wonderful tropical House by chance. We saw the sign offering teas and coffees. Wow once in side it became clear that it was a real place to visit if your in the area.
The Rainforest effect has been built up over the years. Yet it offered interest and information on all that was inside,
The gift shop was excellent. Really good priced gifts and mementos of your visit. The café side wonderful. Only so sorry we had such a big breakfast as the menu looked so good. The coffee tea and cakes where home baked and tasty.
The loos where the best we have ever seen in such a place. Immaculate in every detail.

This family run centre is well worth a visit. we will be going again that's for sure.

Visited May 2013
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Overpriced for a small centre. Some nice butterflies, but we found the pushy "guide" a bit much. Some nice butterflies, but we had thought to spend a morning there and were finished in 20 minutes.

Visited September 2012
Dorothy D, Owner at Felinwynt Rainforest Centre, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for your review. Obviusly you didn't feel you had your moneys worth. It costs a lot of money to run the Centre and the entrance fee doesn't reflect the costs occured. The "giude" was not pushy but the passionate owner of the Tropical House and Centre. I'm sure the staff on the entrance told you that you could go in and out the Tropical House as often as you wanted and more would have been seen on each visit. There is also a Video to watch at no extra charge. and all the staff are very helpful and chatty.
Pencader, Carmarthenshire
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Most enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Felinwynt Rainforest Centre, and found John to be very enthusiastic and informative about his rainforest wildlife. Despite it being a somewhat overcast afternoon there were plenty of exotic butterflies to be seen and the ant colony was active, and the small finches (good job they're seed eaters!) Guinea fowl and fish provided additional attractions.
There is also a small shop, and the cafe was clean, light and airy. A most enjoyable experience. It is to be hoped that when John and Dorothy sell this attraction, and retire, the new owners are as enthusiastic and knowledgeable as they are!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Llaingyfre
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A short break away”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We recently visited the rainforest centre when we were away for a few days in cardigan. the staff were very pleasant and very helpful, and John the owner was very informative about his collection of butterflies and moths, which were very interesting to look at and photograph. He explained about everything to do with the wildlife from start to finish. We learned quite a few things that we didn't know before. we went into the shop, where the staff member was very nice and chatty, then we went to have a coffee and a nice home made cake in the cafe, my husband couldn't decide which cake to have so he had two !,! All in all well worth a visit. Sad that it is up for sale due to retirement,

Visited September 2012