“Soul Temple in the ancient rainforest - Divine.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diwan
Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Diwan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Mara - the "Mother" of Prema Shanti gave me lots of tips and advice on how to get up to Prema Shanti so i felt really safe and looked after. Hired a cheap car in Cairns and an easy drive up. Loved the fact that the temple is deep in the ancient rainforest - nature is overwhealming, the peace is deafening - the trees are like works of art and I felt like a miniature person as giant palms towered above me in the garden. Greeted by beautiful statue of Ganesha as you walk up the path. The Temple is like a jewel with shining polished wood floor - a bit of a surprise to see in the jungle! I loved the "back to nature" eco lodge style - very peaceful and no grating TV, internet or anything - a real retreat from the world. I had a beautiful room on the ground floor with flowers and tropical slats and mosquito net - although there were no mozzies. The morning mediations were beautiful and that is followed by healthy breakfast and tropical fruits. Mara and wise Yogi Janhardan acted like travel guides suggesting trips like crocodile tours, sea kyacking or nature walks I might like and reccommended places to eat. I saw crocodiles and beautiful beaches. The afternoon yoga was great - very accomplished teaching with meditation and inspiring soul moving words and some guided deep relaxations and breath work. Yummy vegetarian dinners. Spiritual books to read. Sacred rocks to meditate on and a cool divine swimming hole a short walk away! The pool looked straight out of Tarzan movie so I went swimming there every day - a sacred site. It was nice being able to meet other spiritual people who were also staying there. I feel totally refreshed now. Reccommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Have returned to the city for four days now and have been asked by my friends why I look so relaxed and happy all the time, well I insisted that they have to go to Daintree forest and stay at Prema Shanti and find out what I’ve experienced to be like me.

Even before I arrived, I got a friendly phone call from Janardhan & Mara guiding me on how to get there and helped me immensely. Upon arrival, greeted by their warm smiling faces and I instantly felt relaxed and felt like home.

Just read through the reviews written by previous visitors of Prema Shanti and you would get the idea of how convenient it was to get to all the treasures Daintree forest can offer and I can ensure that it was not exaggerating. Walking distance to the “not so hidden” treasure – the blue hole and the green hole, where I met several travelers who came all over the world for it. I just felt blessed to be staying merely 5 minutes walking distance from it and went there everyday like a local does.

My short stay at Prema Shanti was action packed, probably a little bit more action packed than I even planned for. Drove up to Emmagen Creek (approx 40 mins) and had a serene afternoon along the creek in the rain forest, then off to snorkel with the local operator for the first time and spotted the amazing giant sea turtles, later got a little bit carried away and did a 4.5hour hike up to the peak of Mt Sorrow.

The only regret I had for the stay is that I should have stayed a few more days longer at Prema Shanti so that I can spend more time there, reading about Amma and her wonderful spiritual strength or having a good conversation with Janardhan & Mara about spirituality and anything this wonderful rainforest can show us. Daily meditation and yoga sessions became my daily ritual during my stay, helped me with my sleep and always gave me a delightful start of the day. Will be learning how to chant like Mara for my next trip there!

At last, a big warm thank you to Janardhan and Mara for their wonderful hospitality during my stay, felt no less than part of the family and truly blessed. Their passion and loving of the rainforest has made Prema Shanti a blissful place and I feel honored to be sharing their heavenly life in the forest for a short while.

I will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LazydreamerinMelb
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Picture an uptight, burnt out Sydney girl.
Yep that was me before Prema Shanti.
Now picture a happy connected city chick who eats well and does yoga and meditation everyday.
That's me after Prema Shanti.
Mara and Janardan are beautiful people who keep the energy at Prema Shanti connected to Amma. The Divine mothers presence is powerful there.
The best way I can describe it is like a big warm hug that holds you until all the stress and tension is released and your ready to face the world again.
The food is great! I have established healthy eating habits ever since.
The yoga is in an intimate space where you can learn how your body works with the practice of yoga. I still do my yoga session most nights.
The location is central to be able to jump in your car and explore the amazing Daintree Rainforest. I stayed 9 days and still feel like I can go back and explore more.
I also had the added bonus of meeting some inspiring, funny, and lovely people who were also staying. We made such a heart felt connection it felt like we'd been friends for years.
We are all going back for a catch up next year.
I can't recommend a stay at Prema Shanti more highly.
It's changed my life and I feel lucky to have been there!
OM Shanti Shanti He

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ZYelds
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I recently stayed here for several days thinking it would be a great base for exploring the Daintree. And yes, all of the headline attractions were nearby. But Prema Shanti was an extraordinary place in itself! The highlight of my stay ended up being the time I sent on site.

I could tell I was in for something special when I was being shown around. The orientation included instructions on saying “ohm” properly and how to meditate, which was great for a novice like me! (The yoga instruction was also gentle and personalized, which also suited my amateur status.)

Straight away I enjoyed the gentle rhythm of the place: meditation in the morning, yoga in the evening, a communal breakfast and dinner on the veranda, exploring natural wonders during the day, and a “noble silence’ overnight with nothing but the sounds of the jungle that border the property.

The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable and the food is fresh and wholesome with generous serves that are made with love. The main building was situated in lush grounds with a broad, warp-around veranda slung with hammocks and with plenty of couches where you can kick back with others or by yourself.

Janardhan and Mara were wonderful hosts – friendly, fun and wise – with plenty of outstanding local knowledge. Their best tip was the mystical Blue Pool and Green Pool, a short walk from the property. These were extraordinary, almost luminescent swimming holes in the midst of the ancient rainforest where my partner and I felt like Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Prema Shanti isn’t a 5-star retreat in terms of luxury and pampering but is five-star when it comes to renewing mind, body and spirit!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is a magical place run by some special people who put a lot of love thought and effort into running a fabulous yoga meditation haven. Take some time for yoyrself slow it down and Step away from it all at Prema Shanti u won't want to leave! Just relax in a hammock, get a healing massage ,meditate on the magic rock and eat so well with mara's delicious and healthy feasts. With a billabong within walking distance there is no need to go far but with great horse rides and the reef to explore near by don't miss them. I will be back for sure. Thank u guys for an enlightening week out!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Just returned from a fantastic retreat with Nikola Ellis at Prema Shanti. Great location for a retreat right in the middle of the rain forest. I visited the local water hole and came face to face with Mr and Mrs Cassowary. I loved the small rat kangaroos that come to feed each night.
Mara and Janardhan are caring and nurturing hosts as always. Mara's food is 10 out of 10.
Looking forward to next September the next retreat with Nikola in the Daintree at Prema Shanti.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This beautiful retreat is located in the heart of the Daintree. Being surrounded by the extraordinary beauty of this rainforest is just beginning of a truly unique and amazing experience at Prema Shanti. The daily meditation, yoga, great vegetarian food and the wonderful company of Mara and Janardhan made this retreat the perfect place to revive and rejuvenate. I'll definitely be returning!
Jess :)

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diwan
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
#3 of 14 in Cape Tribulation
Rainforest Hideaway
Rainforest Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat? Share your experiences!