“This place is amazing…..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diwan
Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Diwan B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“This place is amazing…..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have travelled the globe and what Prema Shanti offered me was such a unique holiday. Being in the heart of the rainforest with no hustle and bustle was so invigorating for the soul. The daily rituals of meditation and yoga classes, which catered for all levels, were of a high standard and completed this truly spiritual experience. I will definitely be going back there soon……..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Just returned from my 5th visit to my favourite yoga retreat.As always the hosts were warm and welcoming and catered to my needs as i expand my yoga practice. Its such a natural and environmentally conscious retreat and i always leave with wisdom and love in my heart. Cant wait to return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Welcoming & blissful.
Easy & flowing...just follow the path set out by owners Mara & partner Jahgarten. Guided meditation & Yoga for beginners to more advanced...just ask.
Happy to be surrounded by rainforest & spectular water holes with love veggie meals. Expand the mind...very happy to have encounted this path...

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank DrKarinaSpicer
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

A great place for a few days if you are looking to extend your yoga practice. Food was tasty and well prepared, rooms quite basic, but you only sleep in them, so ok. Visited by cassowary on site, so real bonus there. Look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank johnrod
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I found this place on the net and thought it looked and sounded - from the descriptions on their own website - like a pretty up scale place to stay and get great yoga instruction there.
When I got there I found it to be a rather basic, if not to say austere place, which is more like an ashram in India. The rooms were very simple, not even a table inside or enough space to hang up ones clothes, they were dark, no towels were provided, water and electricity was supposed to be saved, no showers before breakfast and lights out at 9:30.....
The meals were very basic too. Nothing fresh except a little fruit at breakfast time, evening meals all cooked, mostly soup and rice......
The yoga instruction too was as basic as it gets. Taught rather lackluster and monotonous with little challenge for more experienced students.
What shocked me most was that twice in 5 days after about half an hour of yoga Asana a tape (or CD) was put on for Savasana and the teacher left the room and us to it. I think that's just not on ! A good teacher just would not do that !
Over all I did not feel welcomed or looked after. It felt like Prema Shanti is a place to make money in the most simple and quick way and with as little effort as possible for the owners/operators.
Sorry to say that, but I really was disappointed all around.
Ziggy

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Ziggy S
Mara Staffieri S, Owner at Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Hi Ziggy, dissapointed but not surprised by your negiitve review, as a yoga teacher you were unfortunatly not open in any way to being a yoga student, so we left you alone , we provide an authentic yoga experiance as is attested to by the overwheming positive,excellant testimonials provided by our guests!, we are an eco retreat, our website is very clear on what we do and the facilitys we provide, we do not avertise ourselfs as a resort or ashram, we strove in spite of your negitive energy to be hospitable and welcoming, we were in our integrity at all times. We did the best we could with what you allowed us to give.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

Mara - the "Mother" of Prema Shanti gave me lots of tips and advice on how to get up to Prema Shanti so i felt really safe and looked after. Hired a cheap car in Cairns and an easy drive up. Loved the fact that the temple is deep in the ancient rainforest - nature is overwhealming, the peace is deafening - the trees are like works of art and I felt like a miniature person as giant palms towered above me in the garden. Greeted by beautiful statue of Ganesha as you walk up the path. The Temple is like a jewel with shining polished wood floor - a bit of a surprise to see in the jungle! I loved the "back to nature" eco lodge style - very peaceful and no grating TV, internet or anything - a real retreat from the world. I had a beautiful room on the ground floor with flowers and tropical slats and mosquito net - although there were no mozzies. The morning mediations were beautiful and that is followed by healthy breakfast and tropical fruits. Mara and wise Yogi Janhardan acted like travel guides suggesting trips like crocodile tours, sea kyacking or nature walks I might like and reccommended places to eat. I saw crocodiles and beautiful beaches. The afternoon yoga was great - very accomplished teaching with meditation and inspiring soul moving words and some guided deep relaxations and breath work. Yummy vegetarian dinners. Spiritual books to read. Sacred rocks to meditate on and a cool divine swimming hole a short walk away! The pool looked straight out of Tarzan movie so I went swimming there every day - a sacred site. It was nice being able to meet other spiritual people who were also staying there. I feel totally refreshed now. Reccommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Have returned to the city for four days now and have been asked by my friends why I look so relaxed and happy all the time, well I insisted that they have to go to Daintree forest and stay at Prema Shanti and find out what I’ve experienced to be like me.

Even before I arrived, I got a friendly phone call from Janardhan & Mara guiding me on how to get there and helped me immensely. Upon arrival, greeted by their warm smiling faces and I instantly felt relaxed and felt like home.

Just read through the reviews written by previous visitors of Prema Shanti and you would get the idea of how convenient it was to get to all the treasures Daintree forest can offer and I can ensure that it was not exaggerating. Walking distance to the “not so hidden” treasure – the blue hole and the green hole, where I met several travelers who came all over the world for it. I just felt blessed to be staying merely 5 minutes walking distance from it and went there everyday like a local does.

My short stay at Prema Shanti was action packed, probably a little bit more action packed than I even planned for. Drove up to Emmagen Creek (approx 40 mins) and had a serene afternoon along the creek in the rain forest, then off to snorkel with the local operator for the first time and spotted the amazing giant sea turtles, later got a little bit carried away and did a 4.5hour hike up to the peak of Mt Sorrow.

The only regret I had for the stay is that I should have stayed a few more days longer at Prema Shanti so that I can spend more time there, reading about Amma and her wonderful spiritual strength or having a good conversation with Janardhan & Mara about spirituality and anything this wonderful rainforest can show us. Daily meditation and yoga sessions became my daily ritual during my stay, helped me with my sleep and always gave me a delightful start of the day. Will be learning how to chant like Mara for my next trip there!

At last, a big warm thank you to Janardhan and Mara for their wonderful hospitality during my stay, felt no less than part of the family and truly blessed. Their passion and loving of the rainforest has made Prema Shanti a blissful place and I feel honored to be sharing their heavenly life in the forest for a short while.

I will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LazydreamerinMelb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diwan
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#2 of 5 in Cape Tribulation
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Prema Shanti Yoga & Meditation Retreat? Share your experiences!