Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cow Bay Hotel(Cow Bay)
  • Pool
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
View Hotel
Mantra On The Inlet(Port Douglas)
Mantra Heritage(Port Douglas)
  • Pool
All reviewsnature walknight walkthe managerscape tribulationsmall numberrainforest experiencefantastic hostsbeautiful naturemain receptionexcellent cheftwo nightsroom rateloved every minutereal rainforestcooked breakfastfantastic experienceresident cassowary
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I recently stayed here and it was not quite what I had expected!!! From reading the reviews and the price I was expecting big things.

On checking in you see a board with some of the local creatures which have been recently spotted around the lodge. Whilst this was interesting it also made me feel rather uneasy knowing there had been a python in reception very recently!!

We checked in and Ben was very friendly and assured me the cabins were well sealed. He also assisted us with local places to eat as the restaurant was not open that night and with our trip the next day.

We went into our cabin, which being in the rainforest has no signal for any mod cons so we felt a little isolated. There was some wifi in reception. It was good that there were DVDs we could borrow for free in reception. The room itself was relatively basic and we struggled with only a fan. There were some unwanted guests in our room throughout the night, mainly in the form of mosquitoes and ants, again being in the rainforest I guess these have to be expected.

After a relatively sleepless night due to heavy rain on the roof, being exceptionally hot and the fear of other creatures being present around the the cabin we decided we would forfeit our prepaid second night in favour if somewhere a little less remote.

The breakfast was lovely indeed although we did share it with the biggest bird eating spider I have ever seen. All in all if you're happy to go back to basics and creatures this will be the place for you! Sadly not for me!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KL1983
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in the Wilderness Lodge for three days in the very beginning of December.
It was truly an amazing experience to be able to live in the rainforest for some days.

I wish I could give the staff more than 5. They all were absolutely brilliant as they made our stay very pleasant, and I´ve never seen someone "cuddle/itch" a beetle before! :D

The food was also really delicious, you´ll not need to look for restaurants while you´re staying here. Our first meal the lamb was my favorite, very tasteful. The second night I had chicken teriyaki (also very good) and my parents had Barramundi fish, delicious as well. The third night we didn´t get the chance to eat here because we had a pretty busy schedule attending the Ocean Safari and Dan Irby´s Mangrove Adventures. (Both are highly recommended as well!) Breakfast every morning was also very nice, we chose the hot breakfast every time. We also got different kind of fresh fruits every morning, exciting and tasteful!

The location is awesome. You´re situated inside the rainforest and you´ll get the chance to spot various kind of animals. We spotted different kind of birds, blue ulyssis (butterfly), small frogs, geckos, grasshoppers and spiders around the cabins. I also spotted a Boyd´s Forest Dragon, more birds and some small lizards & skinks on the nature walk, which is a nice rainforest track made especially for the guest of this lodge. They have a screen next to the reception where you are able to put pictures of animals you´ve spotted and write the date. Apparently a Cassowary was spotted on the nature walk on the same day I was there, and a snake was seen in the restaurant area some weeks ago before our stay. The lodge is situated around a 25-30 minutes drive from Cape Tribulation, and almost the same distance back to the Daintree River. It´s also close neighbors to other attractions as Daintree Ice Cream Company and Lynch Haven, also worth checking out.

The cabin itself was also really nice, and both the bed and bathroom were nicely decorated. Fan, refrigerator, flashlight etc. provided.

All in all, staying at the Daintree Wilderness Lodge and exploring the Daintree has been some of my best moments in my life. Hopefully one day I can return to the Daintree and The Wilderness Lodge!

PS: I was a bit surprised when I first spotted the entrance sign, because I thought the Wilderness Lodge would be closer to Cape Tribulation. Google Maps can be misleading!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank FyFazan
Ben D, Manager at Daintree Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thanks FyFazan for the wonderful feedback. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As the lodge is located halfway between the Daintree River and Cape Tribulation in old growth fan palm rainforest, we believe its the perfect base to come back to after a day exploring this magical part of Australia.We're pleased to be able to provide you with the opportunity to have such an amazing experience and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great to visit Daintree Rainforest but better to live inside it. The lodge has separate cabins that are a long way apart connected by Boardwalks. The Forest is inches away, the noise on the roof is often the falling fruit. Fully equipped cabins with maximum use of Eco concepts
means a great place to stay.

Dinners are very good so no need to go out in the evenings. Bird life difficult to see in the Rainforest can be watched at sun up in the open entrance to the Lodge. A nature walk in the grounds will give a chance to see the Forest and if you are really lucky a Cassowary and at night a Possum.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was a 'splurge' for us on our vacation to Australia, as I wanted to have the experience of staying in the rainforest. I wasn't sure that the Lodge would live up to the photos online (and thereby justify the price). Fortunately it absolutely did and more. It is a fantastic, intimate eco-lodge of 7 cabins--spaced far enough apart that you never really see anyone else when you're in your cabin. The appointments are a beautiful combination of simple and luxurious (beautifully done bathroom). As this is an eco-lodge, it's 'off the grid' and hence relies on generator power with battery backup to run the entire facility; so don't expect luxuries like air conditioning, hair dryers, etc. But honestly they aren't needed (at least when we were there); the ceiling fan is more than sufficient.

The hosts are fanastic--they provided excellent coffee, wine, and food for breakfast and dinner. They also made recommendations for what to see and do based on our interests.

Overall, a highlight of our trip. Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: The "Wait-A-While" cabin, named after a rainforest tree, is at the far back of the property and very private.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nmbrsix
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We spent 1 night here and we loved it, quiet (human wise) set in the rainforest a night to remember. Food was good and a cool beer was a must. Highly recommend for a night away from it all. Warm welcome from Ben was appreciated. Thanks

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple