“Brilliant Time at 33 South”

33 South Backpackers
Bewdley, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Time at 33 South”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed at 33 South for 5 nights at the beginning of September.

First time using a backpacking hostel and the guys couldn't have been more helpful. Jessica spent over an hour organising trips for me during my stay. Arnold and Pinty were brilliant hosts, making sure everyone was happy and went out of their way to make my stay a great one. They are more than willing to organise taxis for you and at a reasonable price.

My room, the Bo Kaap, was very clean and spacious, with a great ensuite shower, etc. Comfy bed and lovely sheets.

Breakfast included in the price, which was usually freshly made muffins and toast - would have been nice to have had some fruit but there is a Spa just over the road in which you can buy just about anything you need. The little boxes in the pantry on which you write your name in chalk and can keep all your provisions is a great idea.

Thank you guys for a great stay.

"Mama" Annette

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
33SouthCapeTown, Manager at 33 South Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
It was a great pleasure having you and helping you make the most of your time in South Africa. We hope you come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was only at 33 South for a short stay but was made to feel very welcome and, under other circumstances, would've loved to stay! The staff were amazing and really down to earth. The location was great, in a beautiful area of Cape Town with a lot of hidden gems to be found and not far from the centre! Fantastic services - still remember the delight at finding breakfast muffins on the table :) If, no sorry WHEN I go back to Cape Town I will definitely be looking for a bed at 33 South!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
We look forward to having you back in the future...next time for longer!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

33 South not only has a great location at the center of Observatory, just steps from the train, but has an incredibly down to earth and easy going staff. They all have great recommendations and can book anything from safaris to wine tours to shark diving - or just call you a cab whenever you need. It is extremely clean, has a great breakfast in the morning (imagine waking up to homemade muffins every morning) and you will be sure to meet some great fellow travelers. Jess, the manager, is awesome and her entire staff will help make your trip to Cape Town an incredible experience - I would absolutely go back again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Melissa2643
Mel please come back soon...you were a ray of sunshine at the backpackers!
Observatory, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Does what it says on the box. The cost was reasonable and they had clean spaces, good service and a pleasant atmosphere. They are open 24hrs day which came in handy when we needed a place to crash at 10pm at night. I'd visit it again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whizper
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Every need and comfort is well taken care of and sincerely, 100% rating on every aspect of backpackers service and facilities. The location is perfect..quiet yet around the corner from a hub of entertainment and restaurants. Great staff with fantastic service. Bravo!!

Room Tip: Go wild any room is great
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Firstly, it is located in Cape Town's most bohemian part of the city - Observatory. You simply have to experience it and 33 South is right in the middle of it. I am very glad I decided to stay there on my last night before making my way to Johannesburg.

Also, as you can see from the photos, each room has a different styling based on an area of Cape Town. I think it's a brilliant idea, that makes it stand out from all the others.

All the staff is friendly and attentive and the place clean and well looked after.

However, there is still some space from improvement. I stayed in the Bo-Kaap room, which even though was very extravagantly decorated, had see-through curtains, which made it slightly uncomfortable. Also, not that you need one when you're in Observatory, but the TV in the room was not working. Finally, I am glad that the hostel is very proactively involved in supporting the environment, but the limited hours of hot water are slightly annoying.

Despite this, I had a great stay and since these issues are quite minor and easy to solve, I am sure I can give it five stars on my next stay.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Robertas S
Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I just returned from a trip backpacking around South Africa and 33 South was by far my least favorite spot. The guy who greeted us at the desk was very condescending to us. Every night was extremely loud from 6pm to about 3am and then it got loud again in the morning at 7am. Made it very hard to get a good nights sleep after having long days touring Cape Town. Besides the guy at the desk on the first night every staff member I met was extremely rude. Two girls stayed in one day as they were not feeling well and throughout the day someone walked into their room to show it off and then again later that night to see if anyone was awake. When one of us threw up we asked if they had any extra plastic bags we could keep in the room in case of emergency, we were given news paper. That night we overheard people talking outside our window saying that we were no fun. We were all sick and tired. The bathrooms were always dirty and getting out of the shower I would immediately feel like I needed another one. I enjoyed South Africa so much, but after staying at 33 South all I wanted to do was go home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
33southbackpackers, Front Office Manager at 33 South Backpackers, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Glad to hear that you've made it safely home, and trust everyone has recovered from their bout of sickness. I am much dismayed by the fact that you were as dissatisfied with our service as indicated in your review, as my only regret with your group was that we did not have the opportunity to get to know each other as well as I would have liked due to the circumstances. With regards to the condescension (as I am the only male staff member you must be referring to me); I must apologize if I had somehow given that impression, as I had only tried to be friendly and welcoming. I cannot apologize enough with regards to your other comments, but I just ask that you take into account the fact that it is logistically tough to house a multiple ill guests, especially in an environment where you are sharing with other people. On the same breath - this is a learning curve for us, and additional services like sick bags were something we had not yet considered - but now that you have drawn it to our attention (we really value your input and suggestions), we have them in stock.

Regarding the toilet - we have an hourly cleaning roster, and both reception, housekeeping and night staff have to check it off. Unfortunately when we're at full capacity, during shower times, it does get hectic. Now that you have drawn our attention to this issue, we will make sure it is an area that we focus on improving.

All the best for your future travels,
Arnoldt and the 33 South Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Observatory
Green Elephant
City Bowl
Cape Town Backpackers
Cape Town Backpackers
#32 of 125 in Cape Town Central

Been to 33 South Backpackers? Share your experiences!