“I wish I could stay longer...”

African Heart Backpackers
Paris, France
“I wish I could stay longer...”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We arrived in African Heart for 3 days and stayed 10. Great atmosphere, cosy, very helpful and friendly staff that made the hostel feel like home, which is important when you travel for a long time. Close to Observatory hipster life but far enough from the bars so you can sleep at night.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mCapucine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 2 June 2013

And again I visited this lovely place at Station Rd corner Eden Rd.
Nothing has really changed since my last visit, and that's wonderful.
Rooms are clean, walls colorful, kitchen ready to be used, Max (the cat) still around + lovely people spending time together in the lounge/living room...

Can't recommend it even more.
If you plan to stay in Cape Town - stay here. You will have a great time!

Dorms are great for volunteers, backpacker or people, who want the best for their money ;)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Great place to stay when in town for business. It is located just outside the CBD, but near all transport options. Observatory is a great alternative to the city centre anyway. The hostel itself is very homey, clean and filled with funky murals, and, most important, nice and quiet at night! Staff is super friendly and helpful. I ll be back for sure!

Room Tip: Loved the Pink Leopard
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Holland
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We spend 5 nights at African heart and it was great and easy going. It's situated at a great location, we love Obs! We were there in wintertime and had been cold for a couple of nights before. But at African Heart we became warm again! Details: We cooked a lot in the spacious kitchen and had great warm showers.

Room Tip: We sometimes woke up early in the morning from people passing on the street, chatting loud. If there...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rijn42
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The two nights that we spent at African heART were by far the most peaceful and relaxed nights I have had staying anywhere besides my own home in a very long time.
As soon as I walked through the door I felt at ease and very comfortable. The art is truly something pleasant and beautiful.
Everyone was incredibly friendly and polite including the other guests which added to the pure comfortable vibe that African Heart held withing its masked front gate.
It was a pleasure to have been accommodated in such a genuinely friendly manner and I will be back and look forward to it with great excitement.
Thank you all for our amazing weekend.
Best regards
Aaron, Natty, Jessie and Siya

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank AaronCombrinck
Modimolle (Nylstroom), South Africa
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My family and I had an amazingly warm and relaxing place to stay. It was affordable and hassle free. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. Will definitely be staying there again with my next trip :)

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Pink Leopard room for my family myself and husband slept on the dubble bed and two you...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LarishaToffar
Deutschland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed in African heart twice with a mixed perception of the place. As a traveller, I think I would have missed the vibrant atmosphere of people coming, leaving and enjoying drinks at the bar. However, I was staying for a while in Capetown and was happy about a calm place which is mainly inhabited by volonteers staying there for longer periods. So it feld more like joining a flat share.

The showers are great, the kitchen ok and the location perfect. The beds are ranking on the top end of the Southern African Backpacker I have stayed at. African heart is definetly good value for money, 120 Rand including a self service cereal breakfast and free wifi is really fair for Capetown. Observatory is a nice, layed back area with people of different races, class and background, quite seldom in CT I would say.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank backpackRSA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Observatory
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
#3 of 125 in Cape Town Central
Jambo Guest House
Jambo Guest House
#60 of 156 in Cape Town Central

Been to African Heart Backpackers? Share your experiences!