“Book this through city sightseeing hop on hop off buses” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Imizamo Yethu Township Tours

Imizamo Yethu Township Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imzu Tours does township tours to the two biggest townships in Cape Town South Africa, namely Langa & Khayelitsha. Our half day walking tours give you the opportunity to meet and interact with the residents, observe the sights and sounds of township life and even sample some local offerings. Our knowledgeable guides will entertain you with stories, historical facts, cultural traditions and a whole lot more. You can even spend the night and enjoy the hospitality of a local family. Our Sunday Gospel Tours are a highlight.
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Book this through city sightseeing hop on hop off buses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We didn't want a half day tour or to pay 420 rand plus per person with most tour companies. By booking with the hop on hop off bus it was 65 rand per person. Our tour guide, Patrick, lives in the township and has done so for 22 years. He has first hand knowledge of life there and can answer all of your questions. He took us on a 45 minute walk about and you could tell how well known and liked he is there. I wish I had taken some small gifts for the children which was my only regret. It was not a depressing or sad place that I thought it would be. They seem to have established a community spirit with the church and community centre being the hub of life of the community. Worth a visit and if you don't want to buy anything then you can donate at the church like I did which will be distributed properly.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank maw7

Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great, must-do for visitors of South Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Absolutely great experience. The approximately 2 hour walk guided by Afrika gave a great insight to what the situation is in both formal and informal settlements. It was both interesting and eye opening, and the guide being very involved in the community was great as the locals were welcoming and very friendly. It's obviously difficult seeing people living in such terrible conditions but the tour also gives hope. Something to be remarked upon was the lack of numbers and statistics, it really underlines how little official information there is about informal settlements, everything from the current population to the ratio of people:toilets in the area. Can't recommend enough!

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great learning activity”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Very much worth the money for the cultural & historical experience. Excellent guide, friendly locals including children who love seeing you there. Tourism is a key component to this township so do not feel that you are intruding. Do it!

Visited December 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great township tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

What a superb tour guide. Gives you a real insight into everyday life for township peoples. Mzu was very enthusiastic and knowledgable. Lots of different emotions during the tour, but lots of laughter aswell. Would certainly recommend for that personal touch. Thankyou for a great experience!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Dave B
Tisbury, Withshire, England
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A friendly welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

It was our first trip to SA and we had three good weeks in the Western Cape. It was our first experience of seeing the townships from afar and I must admit a range of emotions - shame, perplexion and anger. I wanted to know more and discussed with several people at various locations the plight of those living in the townships.

The open top bus tours had already been recommended to us, so when we saw that there was a stop and an optional township tour - we had to go.

With a little trepidation we got off the bus. We were met by the ever-smiling Patrick who calmly led us forward and began to explain the history of the township. All our questions were answered politely and fully. Though extremely overcrowded everyone we saw seemed happy, well-clothed and well fed. There seemed a constant stream of traffic but all of it was mindful of anyone who happened to be walking at the road edge.

Patrick had a clear pride in was has been achieved in the township (various college successes) and was obviously well known and admired within his community. Several residents waved hello or gave us a 'high five' and we felt safe and welcome.

Though we were told that we could take photographs we didn't as for us it would seem an intrusion. It would have been interesting to see inside one of the houses. We did pass several open doorways, but felt uncomfortable about looking in.

The highlight for my wife was to say hello to a lttle girl (aged about 15/20 months - the same as her own grand daughter) who was tottering along beside her mother. The little girl quite spontaneously gave her a smile and threw her arms around my wife's legs to give her a hug.

The trip was well worth it. It gave us a little insight and has been one of our most talked about experiences of the holiday.

I felt guilty afterwards for not buying more gifts that were offered fro sale. At the time I felt I didn't need them. Yet afterwards I felt that I wished I could do something to help. Obviously the two things fit together perfectly. I should have bought more items and in this way would help the craftspeople whilst retaining their dignity.

I did call back a couple of days later to more some little amends.
I think a trip to the township would be a small way of showing that you care for the plight of others.

Visited February 2013