“Ultimate way to hike Table Mountain!”

Cape Town Hiking with Tim Lundy - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Tim Lundy grew up with Table Mountain as his back garden and has been hiking for more than 30 years. He is now an accredited mountain guide, with first aid training and experience. He has safely led diverse groups on various hikes around the Cape peninsula.Table Mountain is known for it's outstanding vistas and unique flora and fauna, found nowhere else in the world. Hiking the mountain is a popular choice for Cape Town visitors, but because of its proximity to the city centre few people appreciate how easy it is to get into difficulty on the many trails and paths. Tim emphasises safety first, fun second. Experience one of the world's seven natural wonders with Cape Town Hiking.
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Our family of three traveled recently to Cape Town with hopes to hike Table Mountain. After reading a bit about precipitous drops and the potential of a turn on to a dangerous trail, we decided that it would be best to have a guide. We come from Colorado, USA and know the importance of knowing well the area you are hiking, especially in a place with conditions as variable and quick changing as Table Mountain. I came across Tim as a recommendation and we are so glad we hiked with him. He picked us up at our hotel and we drove to the cable car boarding. From the drop off point at the top we took a four hour hike that meandered around all sides of this stunning place! We went through Echo Canyon and our change in altitude was about 400 meters. From what Tim said, this is the far more rewarding way to hike TM as opposed to the grueling vertical ascent from the bottom. He is an expert in the flora and fauna of the region and we enjoyed learning so much about the land, the history of South Africa, and he also gave us great ideas for additional things we could do on our stay. It was great, also, to have the necessary hiking supplies that he provided. We had planned on hiking and had brought decent hiking shoes, but in planning intl travel did not think to gather the requisite hiking gear. No problem...he provided backpacks, water, raingear, and a nutritious and yummy lunch for our hike. He works with a search and rescue group in the area, so we were very confident that he was able to handle anything on that formidable mountain. The hike was strenuous for one of us (ummm-me!) as I was not in the super shape I thought, but Tim paced us well so I did not feel stressed, and also brought for me a walking stick due to a recent foot injury. Our 9 year old daughter enjoyed hiking right alongside Tim, and listening/learning so much throughout the day. Every day thereafter she asked if we could contact Tim and do another hike! Tim knows the area so well as a native, and had information and stories about every vista we observed. We learned so very much that day and fell in love even more with beautiful South Africa! It was so cool to learn that his dad, who taught Tim his love of hiking, is one of the premier hiking writers in the region. How lucky we were that he was able to take us around! As I told Tim, he is someone we will never forget, as this great day will always be etched in our mind as something special and incredible to have experienced.
Tim offers several different types of hikes on Table Mountain and the area around Cape Town, as well as other surrounding places. His hikes range from short 1-2 hour hikes, to 6 hours, as well as longer multi-day hikes. This was a unique and amazing way to see more of this beautiful place.

Thank you, Tim!

2  Thank swarmina
CapeTownHiking, Owner at Cape Town Hiking with Tim Lundy - Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

It was a great to be able to share my knowledge of the mountains with you and your family. I hope you will return to our beautiful city soon and I can show you more of what Cape Town has to offer.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Booked a magical multi-day hike from Silvermine to Table Mountain. With Tim we gained exclusive access to areas of Table Mountain National Park usually off-limits. The organisation and logistics were great. The company and local knowledge made the experience unforgettable. This truly was a dream hike. I highly recommend Tim for hiking and tours and unforgettable experiences without the worry.

1  Thank Morgan C
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Walking Table Mountain isn't as hard as it sounds if you take the right route, it's more of a gentle stroll, albeit one that last a few hours, than a uphill scramble. Our guide, Tim Lundy, took us up a spectacular path and we stopped for lunch at the Table Mountain Cafe which is well worth a visit. Nothing like sipping champagne with that view at your feet, one of the highlights of our trip. Tim's been hiking the mountain since he was a little boy so he really knows his stuff, and going up the mountain is everything you expect it to be - walk up, eat & drink, take the cable car down, it's an experience that you'll never forget.

1  Thank gfai
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Thanks Tim, my three day hike with you from Silvermine above Tokai to the top of Table Mountain was amazing. You showed me things I would have never picked up if I hiked on my own. You being a trained medic and with your knowledge of the Cape Town mountains puts ones mind at rest. Let me know when you doing the whale trail again, I don't want to miss out!

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I've used Tim for guided hikes a few times and would highly recommend him. His extensive knowledge of the mountains as well as the flora and fauna, attention to safety issues, flexible starting times and his ability to accommodate all ages and fitness levels makes for a very enjoyable day out with Tim. Looking forward to doing many more walks with him.