“Great hike and we were lucky with great weather!”

Cape Town Hiking with Tim Lundy - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Tim Lundy grew up with Table Mountain as his back garden and has been hiking for more than 30 years. He is now an accredited mountain guide, with first aid training and experience. He has safely led diverse groups on various hikes around the Cape peninsula.Table Mountain is known for it's outstanding vistas and unique flora and fauna, found nowhere else in the world. Hiking the mountain is a popular choice for Cape Town visitors, but because of its proximity to the city centre few people appreciate how easy it is to get into difficulty on the many trails and paths. Tim emphasises safety first, fun second. Experience one of the world's seven natural wonders with Cape Town Hiking.
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My hotel recommended Tim as a guide to take me up Table Mountain as he was near my age. We had a great hike and were lucky with great weather! Hiking with Tim was like hiking with a longtime friend and he was very knowledgable of the mountain. After talking to me about my abilities, type of shape I was in and my timetable we decided to hike the Platteclip Gorge trail. It was a scenic hike and fairly challenging. In just over 2 1/2 hrs we were at the top. Having a bad knee on my part slowed us down. And this trail can normally be done in 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I highly recommend Tim!

2  Thank nfriesen1

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I met Tim via WSAR – Wilderness Search and Rescue…and being on the same team (Hiker’s Network) and Tim tracks us on our weekly hikes via whatsapp - we became facebook friends as well and saw on my ticker that he will be doing the Orange Kloof hike which has to be booked 2 months in advance due to the limited number of permits issued per day…
I’ve only heard of this route but don’t know if we were ever going to do it as our hiking club has more than 12 members…as a result, I jumped at the chance of doing this route with Tim - after doing my research on him off course as this particular route cannot be done without a guide and Tim being qualified and all!
Well it is winter and the weather warnings leading up to the hike didn’t look good! I read up on the route as well and shouldn’t be attempted after heavy downpours and boy oh boy did we have downpours yesterday (Saturday) and throughout the night! Regardless, I will be hiking Genadendal in 2 weeks and Orangekloof would be great prep for an away hike in the middle of winter!
The morning started out great though! Perfect weather for hiking, cold and barely a breeze and I could see the mountain tops from the cape flats..I came prepared with extra clothing and rain jacket even though I was wearing my rain suit!
8 of us set out and we barely started when it began to rain a little but spirits were high and we were with a competent leader and even had a SANparks volunteer who shared his knowledge of the area…there were so many forks along this route but I was so impressed with Tim as he knew exactly which way to go  I held up the group a little as I got a bit carried away by taking over 100 photos! We crossed 9 rivers and had our break at Dias River which we couldn’t cross so had to go upstream to find a safer way…wanted to go the waterfalls but the river made it impossible, did a short scramble and what amazed me was that along the river bed, nature provided us with grips so that walking along this bed was so safe!
This route as fauna and flora I’ve never seen on other trails! The views were spectacular and the company of hikers was stupendous! We were an awesome team helping each other at each river crossing and when Tim had a tiny mishap. It rained at times, it hailed at times, we had thunderstorms but we had fun and luckily it wasn’t windy! The temp at one stage was 8.5° C! It was cold but we didn’t feel it as we were all warmly dressed 
All in all, it was a superb hike and I wouldn’t hesitate to hike with Tim again and I know I speak for all who was with you…thank you for one of our greatest adventures 

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My family and I recently moved to Cape Town and were desperately looking for a guide to take us on a safe and exciting hike. We were put in touch with Tim Lundy. He was very approachable, knowledgeable and affordable. We have been on a number of hikes with Tim now and as far as I am concerned there is no better way to explore Cape Town :-)

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Really enjoyed hiking with Tim Lundy from Cape Town Hiking! His humourous anecdotes about the mountain get you through the tough bits and his knowledge of the incredible flora and fauna is fascinating. I have been on several guided hikes with Tim during my trips to Cape Town and would definitely recommend him. Whether its with kids, a large group or just a few friends the Sunday walks are always super enjoyable and the views stupendous. Tim's been walking the mountain since a young boy and his passion and enthusiasm for this unique ecosystem is plain to see and and as infectious as the mountain's beauty. Go walking!

1  Thank Kathman18
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Cape Town last month and were told by the locals that the best way of seeing Cape Town was through a hike. We were put in contact with Tim Lundy through some friends and were told he is the most knowledgable person on CP hiking - this is most definitely because Tim's Father was the first person to write books on hiking around Cape Town and somewhat of a local legend in these parts.......like Father like Son in this case as we have never had such a knowledgable hike in the short time we hiked for!

Unfortunately we only had less than 2 hours hiking due to prior engagements but managed to take the cable car up to the top of Table Mountain, walk along the ridge to the highest point (and stand on top!), see three very rare flowers in one day (that Tim even confessed we were so lucky to see) and get a great history of Cape Town and South Africa in general, and have a glass of wine as a reward at the end.

We would completely recommend Tim to everyone who is thinking about visiting Cape Town, he has all kinds of hiking distances (he had just been out for a 4 hour hike before we met him that morning), is extremely knowledgeable and very friendly.