“2 night stay whilst 'tying up loose ends' around Stoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Verdon Guest House

Verdon Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hanley B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“2 night stay whilst 'tying up loose ends' around Stoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

If you want to stay in a comfortable,cheap,family,guest house 2 minutes from Hanley bus station(a great location for convenient budget travel). The owner was warm and helpful and kindly. Good value(£25-£40-single/double), not the ritz but a cosy homely base to visit Stoke/Staffs etc. from.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of house quieter, less road noise. Each of the 10 rooms is different, beds very comfor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Me & my partner stayed here LUCKILY just for one night! Photos on their website absolutely nothing like, it was filthy! It was so dirty we left without showering waited til we got home. Honestly one of the worst places I have ever stayed. So misleading! Would never stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Sam30Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Because of the work I do, I do stay in B&B's.
This one is the worst I have stayed in, dirty ,smelly ,uncomfortable , there was long hairs in the shower ( that was rubbish as well) stains on the bed clothes and towels, there was even stains in the toilet bowel( I let you guess of what kind)dents and marks on the walls.
The door to the room was hard to open and closed , due to the fact the top hinge was broken. If it wasn't 9pm and the fact I had been driving for the past 3 hours I would have left. Nearly forgot TV only worked when it wanted.
Breakfast although not bad ,plates and cutlery was stained.
On the whole very poor, would never use it again, I rather sleep in my van

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Me & my partner stayed here at the beginning of August for 3 nights, we were visiting Alton Towers. We paid for breakfast the first morning, food was nice but we expected a bit more. Went to Alton Towers for the day, when we returned someone had been in our room to clean which is great, however they had left the door unlocked with the keys still in the door. I was very disappointed at this as anyone could have just walking in our room and taken things, luckily nothing was missing but that is kind of beside the point. When you pay to stay in a hotel or b&b, you expect safety and security for yourself and your personal belongings.

Other than this, the stay was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha P
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Myself, my mam and my 10 year old daughter stayed at the verdon from mon 22/7/13 for 4 nights. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Our rooms were brilliant, very comfy beds and facilities. We were made welcome and thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Verdon. WOULD STAY AGAIN NO PROBLEM.

Room Tip: stayed in room 4 and mam next door so ideal for us. Keep up the good work Mrs. Hindmoor kind rega...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tracey G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

i stayed at the verdon on 27/7.2013 and found it to be an excellant place to stay, i was in room 6 and the room was clean and well presented and the proprietor was a lovely lady to talk to and made to feel welcome, i have stayed here before and have always been made to feel welcome, i am returning to hanley on 10th august and shall be returning to the verdon as i find it an excellant place to stay and is within walking distance of the town centre and night life. anyone looking for a place to stay when visiting hanley then this is the place to come, would recommend the verdon to anyone.

Room Tip: all rooms are clean and well presented
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Newcastle, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am really struggling to believe for one second that 31 people have rated this guest house as “excellent”, it was the worst place I’ve ever stayed at.

I arrived to be greeted by the smell of what can only be described as dogs / smoke / 1960. A lovely start! Then an elderly lady greets me and shows me to my room. There was only one word to describe the room, disgusting! The first thing I noticed was a big black stain on the duvet, followed by a long ladies hair on the pillow (I noticed this whilst the elderly lady was in the room). Obviously, when you see things like this, you want to take a closer look at things before handing over any money! I went on to look at the sheets on the bed, only to be called “rude” by the elderly lady! She went on to ask what I was doing, so I explained what I had found and why I was taking a closer look. She seemed shocked, and went on to ask me to point anything else out which there was a problem with, which didn’t take long:

- Room stinks of smoke

- Strange splashes on the walls (she actually asked me if I had problems with splashes on the wall – what is that about?)

- Big holes / dints in the wall

- Cobwebs (see photos)

- General dirty look to EVERYTHING

- Holes in the pillow case and in the sheets (looked like cigarette burns)

The only thing she seemed horrified about was the hair on the pillow, the fact the place was a total dump seemed lost on her.

After this conversation, she moved me to another room which was a bit better than the first room, but it would still fall into the category of being “a smelly dump”. If I had not been in a rush to get out (had a meeting) and if I thought I could have easily found a room in a hotel (had already tried, but it was summer holidays time) I would have walked out at this point.

I got little sleep (thanks to what I’d call “dirt paranoia”) but also because my window backed onto somebodies back door, a somebody who liked to pop out for a cigarette every 20 minutes ALL NIGHT. Despite closing the windows, the smoke smell somehow managed to drift into my room. What an absolute pleasure that was.

I woke up, excited by the fact that I was just minutes away from leaving this dump. Unfortunately for me, I had to have a shower first. I thought the rooms were shocking, but the bathroom was actually hideous. Cobwebs galore, hair everywhere, wet dog smell, shared bar of soap, broken shower (photo attached) and a plughole so full of hair, the shower obviously hadn’t been draining properly – leaving a lovely foamy residue from the last shower user.

Never again – a total disgrace!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Gwhizz75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Verdon Guest House? Share your experiences!